If you were offered a refund would you take it?

• I am happy to have thrown my $25, and a further $75 into a four pack. The game may have its flaws, but the mechanics are solid and it’s a great game. Look at most AAA titles, they don’t even get close. This offers the basic “I want to get good” and “I want to level up” aspects to a AAA title that even D3 couldn’t handle. And the best part? Getting better isn’t item based. It’s based off of player skill.

Well done for an indie studio. Keep it coming.

• If TBS offered to give me my money back and let me keep the game, I still wouldn’t. And I’d buy another copy just because they were cool enough to offer.

I understand some people get off on being super negative and cynical, but I don’t think you’ll get as much support here as you hoped.

• people seem to be missing my point. No matter how great the game is at its core. I feel they released it too early. Am I seriously the only one who thinks this?

Yes it’s a great game, and yes it deserves to sell well, and yes other AAA titles lack much of what this indie game offers. but I don’t think any game should be released until it’s polished, no matter what price tag it has.

Not being a game developer I couldn’t possibly say how much more time it needed. but if you look in the support section theres a huge list of people who have bought the game and for whatever reason, they can’t even play it.

I would gladly pay more than the 18.99 it cost me to purchase it from steam, but having not known exactly what issues I’d have with the game before buying it. I would have held off until it was all sorted. and yes people will say “but that’s a common problem most people face when buying a new game”. but that’s my point. people need to stop releasing a game until they are completely satisfied that they can cater for their customers in every format. Whether it be ensuring the servers they are using are actually joinable or that the user can actually run the game without issues (something many people are having difficulty doing) People are sinking time into the game to earn unlocks and having them taken away from them later on down the line. how is that fair on them?

• @TwoKnightsOneHelmet:

people seem to be missing my point. No matter how great the game is at its core. I feel they released it too early. Am I seriously the only one who thinks this?

Yes it’s a great game, and yes it deserves to sell well, and yes other AAA titles lack much of what this indie game offers. but I don’t think any game should be released until it’s polished, no matter what price tag it has.

Not being a game developer I couldn’t possibly say how much more time it needed. but if you look in the support section theres a huge list of people who have bought the game and for whatever reason, they can’t even play it.

I would gladly pay more than the 18.99 it cost me to purchase it from steam, but having not known exactly what issues I’d have with the game before buying it. I would have held off until it was all sorted. and yes people will say “but that’s a common problem most people face when buying a new game”. but that’s my point. people need to stop releasing a game until they are completely satisfied that they can cater for their customers in every format. Whether it be ensuring the servers they are using are actually joinable or that the user can actually run the game without issues (something many people are having difficulty doing) People are sinking time into the game to earn unlocks and having them taken away from them later on down the line. how is that fair on them?

As far as I know, the people that can’t play the game currently either have worse spec’s than the minimum requirements or issues highly specific to their system. At the same time, those people are often helped so they can play the game.

If you are referring to people not being able to play earlier, that was due to a problem Steam/Valve was having and had nothing to do with Torn Banner.

• You make a solid point, and I would typically agree with you because I despise AAA studios releasing $60 titles that frankly can’t even stand without a crutch. This game can. And it’s 40% of the price. The majority of the issues being experienced are on the Steam side of things. As much as I hate to defend a game that “doesn’t work,” this game gets a pass in my book.

They did right. I understand your frustration but also think you’ll be hard pressed to find a more polished release that works this well out of the box.

• Sorry, but if you think this game isn’t ready for release, you need to stay the hell away from PC gaming. Dishonored, XCOM, Medal of Honor - three huge budget games released in the last month with much worse bugs.

• As a player, I am happy the game released and I have tons of people to play with. I find this game is definitely finished enough to release and for dev’s to get a little income so that they can be able to improve the game more. I rather have a partially done skill based melee game than none (though I do believe it was ready for release). If Torn Banner didn’t make this game, there probably wouldn’t be any game like it made. At $25 for the only new gen skill based melee game that exists, it’s a steal.

• @GunSlingerAUS:

Sorry, but if you think this game isn’t ready for release, you need to stay the hell away from PC gaming. Dishonored, XCOM, Medal of Honor - three huge budget games released in the last month with much worse bugs.

So because some games have issues, people just accept that it’s normal for them all to.

It’s not wrong to want a game to be released in the state it should be. No matter how little or large the issues are. If a game can be fixed at a later date, there’s no reason it can’t be released after the issues have been resolved. I’m going to assume everyone here has had a smooth experience so far. Once you join the ones who are having issues then I guess it’s a different story.

• @TwoKnightsOneHelmet:

@GunSlingerAUS:

Sorry, but if you think this game isn’t ready for release, you need to stay the hell away from PC gaming. Dishonored, XCOM, Medal of Honor - three huge budget games released in the last month with much worse bugs.

So because some games have issues, people just accept that it’s normal for them all to.

It’s not wrong to want a game to be released in the state it should be. No matter how little or large the issues are. If a game can be fixed at a later date, there’s no reason it can’t be released after the issues have been resolved. I’m going to assume everyone here has had a smooth experience so far. Once you join the ones who are having issues then I guess it’s a different story.

If you think its an issue with PC gaming is general. Go try talking about this on the EA forums instead of a small indie developer forum. See how far that goes. ;)

• No, absolutely not.

Although rough around the edges the game still offers something unique, valuable and most importantly fun.

Added to that it’s Torn Banner’s first commercial title so I think they should be afforded some leniency with regard to compatibility & stability issues.

Other factors to consider:

• It was cheap; buying a 4-pack direct from the developers worked out at £12/copy.
    • On these forums the devs are interacting directly with the player base, rather than us being fobbed off by some useless ‘community liaison’ intermediary.
    • They’re being prompt with patches, not getting wrapped up in ridiculously long winded, time consuming and wasteful QA cycles.

• So the moral of the story: It’s cheap and they’re getting round to fixing it so who cares if it was released with problems it didn’t need to have.

Can I request a lock or delete of this thread please? :D

• If I could see the future, I may. If they abandon this game, don’t update it, then I would want a refund. In it’s current state, it’s really not that bad, honestly…Ya it needs some fine tuning, and yes, I do wish it would of been released at a later date where most of the problems were wrought, but a lot of people wanted to play early.

Do I want a refund? No, at a dollar an hour I’ve already paid over for this title’s cost.

• Vanguards have no minimum range for pole arms. Siege weapons you have to use bug you out some times when knocked off it. Spawn locations for certain maps for TO mode make it a zerg fest that makes it near impossible to beat the objective. Weird archery system that makes it feel like you’re a robot with mittens trying to use a bow/crossbow/javelins. Models getting stuck in terrain like it’s quick sand makes man at arms more frustrating to use because dodge often doesn’t work properly. Fire pots for man at arms not working or leave the fire animation constantly on a map for the remainder of a round. Laggy servers with teleporting players. Rewarding people who spam swing by making blocking harder to do then landing hits. Block sometimes not working if you face hug your enemy.

I’m sure there’s more, so no I don’t think this game was ready for release. I’m sure their publishers/corporate overlords were pressuring them to release this quickly right?

right?

• This game has flaws ?! hhm… It works better than a lot of games out there who has been out for years.

Weapon unbalance ?! Finally. I consider this a gift from the gods…Weapon should be unbalance, thats why there is different kinds of weapon, if there would all do the same damage it would suck.

In other words, no, I wouldnt want to get refund, it was only 25 bucks and a regular game cost 60.

• all games are released with some kind of issues, ive never seen a pc game that hasnt, ive spent more money on worse games, it’s great to have a dev team that is reachable and responds to its player base the way these guys do and they have always been like this even with aoc.

when i think on what games should issue refunds Chiv doesnt come to mind at all.

• It’s not wrong to want a game to be released in the state it should be. No matter how little or large the issues are. If a game can be fixed at a later date, there’s no reason it can’t be released after the issues have been resolved.

…unless they run out of development time and money. If the game is fun, and the “bugs” don’t break core game mechanics, then I can live with it along with the assumption of continued support.

• for the price, I’m happy, I understand its still a beta system but a good concept, which I’m hoping pushes the game through, a more updated player skill based system would make the game great, but I still see it as beta and compared to AoC it’s come a long way, they just veered off a bit, so give them time to get back on track xD

I’ve paid more for worse, such as Mount & Blade, War of The Roses, Dead Island, From Dust, Fable 3 (7 hour game), Mortal Online and some others, lol.

Least its not like $60 etc, otherwise I wouldn’t really consider it.

Wouldn’t really take the refund, but if you can get me one for war of the roses some how, I will ! :p

• No. I think this can has far exceeded my expectations. I expected an indie game based on a half life 2 mod.

What I got was a AAA multiplayer experience for half the cost of a AAA title in 2008 (cause we all know big publishers charge $59.99 now).

Battlefield had these issues (pick a title), Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Skyrim, the list goes on. Give me an example of a multiplayer game that didn’t require fastidious patching for the first couple of days/weeks.

The biggest issues have been resolved via an update, and the biggest technical glitch was with steams networks, and you feel like the game wasn’t ready to be released?

I honestly don’t know where your expectations were with this game; but as someone who plays a lot of damn video games, this is as close to without a hitch as it comes.

You’re one of those people who complains that they can’t talk on the cell phone on an Airplane. You may have not had a perfect experience, but nothing is perfect. Once you realize that, you will be a much happier person.

• I’ve had tons of fun on the buggy, low framerate version. I managed to solve the FPS issue, and the hotfix works wonders. The tons of fun have been doubled. Hell, I’d buy the game one more time just to show my appreciation of TB’s efforts. They’re taking risks and wandering on a rather unexplored terrain as their first commercial project. And it works. I think that deserves some respect.

• As many have already said, I think it’s quite simple - am I having fun playing the game? Yes, tons of fun. Would I be willing to wait for 6 months for the issues to be fixed and only then be allowed to play? Hell no!

-> buy & play & be happy.