______- Throwing spear - Little word - Round Shield
    Fast/medium speed and low armor

Berzerker - 2 hand Big Axe - sword - Round shield for sword
    _________- 2 Hand Big Hammer - Throwing axe - Nothing
    Fast Speed and low armor

Heavy Soldier - Long Sword - Sword - Round Shield
    (Chain mail) - Spear - Throwing spear - Rectangular chield
    Medium speed and medium armor

• Barbar is a very vague world. For the romans, Barbarian were everybody that isn’t greek. So, as far as the definition goes, Barbar could mean either carthaginian, persian, celt, german, chinese…

Try to be more specific.

• Bar bar is in my idea German, gaul or celt

that just change the charactere design

• Well that’s still very vague. You gotta be more specific because celts and german were fairly different. So which artistic design will you follow : germanic or celt?

Besides, if you want to look more serious, you may want to correct some spelling errors. And also be more specific on the overall plan : models, art assests, coding…

• yes i love roman mods plz make it i love anceint rome!!!

• @shayologo:

Bar bar is in my idea German, gaul or celt

that just change the charactere design

If you want a “Roman mod”, do it right and stick to the historical facts. Don´t water a potentially good idea with inaccuracy and “in my idea” stunts, please.

Many ppl here would love a mod like that… Good luck.

• actually it is just the game mod idea, without mod tool we can’t do better

real historical can’t be respected in a game or it’s not fun

• @shayologo:

real historical can’t be respected in a game or it’s not fun

This is highly arguable and the history of games shows that you are wrong. ;)

• I love the idea and have myself been thinking of starting development on a mod such as this. Firstly, do you have any experience doing something like this? If so, perhaps we could work together. I have done quite a bit of modding for games in the past and have been looking for a new project.

Here are some brainstorming ideas I have come up with:

**//CONCEPT ONE: Roman//

/Factions/Classes/

S.P.Q.R (Roman Legion)**
    Sagittari (for Archer) - Bowmen
    Milite (for Knight) - Standard Legionnaire (heavy infantry)
    Varangian Mercenary (for Man at Arms) - Light Infantry
    Centurion (for Vanguard) - Act as Spearmen.

The Vandals
    Skudjonez (for Archer) - Bowmen
    Jugundiz (for Man at Arms) - Light Skirmishers
    Frowo (for Knight) - Standard Heavy Infantry
    Speudogordoz (for Vanguard) - Spearmen

OR

**//CONCEPT TWO: Spartan//

/Factions/Classes/

Sparta**
    Psiloi (for Man at Arms)
    Hoplite (for Vanguard)
    Toxotai (for Archer)
    Chelone (for Knight)

Persia
    Parthian (for Man at Arms)
    Sassanid (for Knight)
    Immortal (for Vanguard)
    Sythian (for Archer)

Of course, I would like to stay as historically correct but still remain the variations of weapons to distinguish classes. The biggest difficulties will be the creation of large, detailed maps. Ideas and comments, anyone?

• I already did some mod for some game : oblivion/skyrim/HL2

I don’t want make just a modele remplacer, i would like change stat for creat real diffenrence from CMW

The idea of the berzerk : no amor, fast class, big 2 hand weapon with charge ability weapon is a complete new class and tactic

Change some gameplay part : remove jump/crouch for heavy class (no more ninja in heavy armor)
    sprinting using stamina
    decrease attack speed when stamina is out
    Amor hit localisation with breackable shield
    more difference between weapon and utility (hammer are strong on chainmail but weak on plate armor)

• i like roman mod coz its kinda cool its more fun in my opinion plus the weapons

• Roman mod ?! :o ====> yes please ^^

• A roman mod would be pretty cool but you don’t really have to go into factions that much considering chivalry itself has loads of different medieval weapons and is not really specific to which part of europe the stuff is from.

If you are doing a mod you have to consider that it will be a lot of work so you don’t even have to lay out the classes from the start. If you want to do it right you either need someone with a big knowledge of roman history or you need to do a lot of research, as far as I know roman period is also a very broad definition and there is a big diference between the times even within the roman era for example since about 100ad they started to use steel weapons before they generally used bronze. I assume you want to be before that to really not go in conflict with medieval weapons. On the other hand the old famous roman gladius would generally only be used for stabbing and not for slashing, it would not even really work for it.

• It’s a mod not realistic game

On the other hand the old famous roman gladius would generally only be used for stabbing and not for slashing, it would not even really work for it.

Just put a good percing dammage and low slashing solve the probleme

• what I mean with doing it justice with research is really that while a lot of the medieval weapons are quite commonly known a lot of the roman stuff may require a lot more digging. Even outside of realism it may just be a lot of work.

• I don’t know what will be mod possibility, if we must give same weapon for 2 team the historic will be break

• @Atanar:

Suggestion for a realiseable addon: Antique warfare

Warfare just like the current chivalry but in Late Imperial Roman times. Basically roman-roman civil war. I am probaly not the first guy who thought of that, but I want to further stress out that such a thing is wanted (at least by me).
    You could continue to work with the 4-class-system:

Heavy roman legionary for the kinght, with diffrent variations of gladius (shortsword for stabbing), scutum (big oval oval or square shield), pilum ( special throwing spear which purpose it is to get stuck in the opponents shield and drag it down) and pugio (dagger), optional choosing between lorica segmenta (the segmented armor, commonly known in popular culture but not very common for legionaries actually) or lorica harmata (chainmail, mostly common) which would influence movement speed.

Barbarian auxiliary trooper for the vanguard, with diffrent exotic heavy weapons (for example the thracian curved sword for around-the-shield-reach, needs a new attack animation). Also he can have the heavy throwing axe (“franziska”, I know, it’s late antiquity, but you know, game design and stuff) which would cause a bigger flinch and has not so much recovery time, but is limited to 1.

Archer, with variation velites (light skirmisher with throwing spears), slinger (the replacement for the crossbow) and bows.

And the light trooper wit the properties of the man-at-arms (I am have not thought much about that class, maybe you guys can come up with some ideas).

I think this is even more viable for a game like chivalry, because the horse played a major role in mediaval warfare unlike ancient times, so this is even “more relistic”.

With it have to come new maps of course, I can picture in my mind a few:
    A “static” sea battle where the ships are tangled in one another, preferably next to a harbour to make a team mission out of it.
    A siege map at a oppidum (celtic fortified settlement, we know a lot about that because of ceasar)
    And another siege map were the attackers try to undermine the city wall and get intercepted by a counter-mineshaft (it actually happend, there is historical account).

These all are just ideas. I would like to hear if people would pay money for that. I certainly would, and I think it would be a nice way for developers to create new content very resource efficient.

And of course, I would like to hear other thoghts on that as well.

I think this fits way better. Chivalry balance is already a very fargile construct, adding faction-specific stuff will have a dramatic impact and lead to the complete reworking of the balance system, and is therefore probably no option.

• your idea is good it’s a way if we can’t put specific weapon for specific class

i would like a real total conversion and not only skin if possible

Increase kick speed but add delay
    Sprinting use statmina, fail hit don’t cost stamina
    When you are hit don’t cancel current hit but decrease damage
    add armor life : mace break fastly armor but deal medium damage, sword don’t break fastly armor but make good damage

• @shayologo:

your idea is good it’s a way if we can’t put specific weapon for specific class

i would like a real total conversion and not only skin if possible

Increase kick speed but add delay
    Sprinting use statmina, fail hit don’t cost stamina
    When you are hit don’t cancel current hit but decrease damage
    add armor life : mace break fastly armor but deal medium damage, sword don’t break fastly armor but make good damage

I don’t agree with all the details, but yes, for this setting some stuff has to be changed.
    For example the shield bash should take the size of the shield into account, bot for damage, flinching and speed, because tactics for a roman legionarie was to ram into the enemy with the shield and get a stab in from the sides while they are blocked on using larger weapons. This should be a viable tactic in the game as well.