Siege mode (M&B style)

• While I like the team objective maps with all the creative stuff you get to do there I think it’s too linear to be fun for a long time. There are strict objective the whole team has to do one after another and I feel neither attackers nor defenders have so much fun about completing their objectives.

Everybody wants to encounter the enemy as the fighting is great. But why would the defenders want to stop the attackers really? It only means the round ends sooner than it could.

I actually prefer the siege mode in M&B Warband:
    you have an end goal (raise the flag).
    But there are so many different ways to go there… you can smash door (by actually hitting them instead of standing nearby). You can open gates from within the castle. You can move siege towers.
    Everytime you’re playing the map you need to change your strategy.
    As defender you feel like actually defending your castle rather than stopping the enemy from just completing an objective the map wants them to do.

That’s what I would love to see in Chivalry.

• Yeah I really want to actually DEFEND and stay inside the castle and on its walls. The throne room map is cool but you have to rush out if you want to stop them

• M&B sieges are indeed very fun and have a great atmosphere and I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t make a (or more) teamobjective map that works just like M&B sieges. Let’s hope we get such a map sooner or later either made by fans or the devs themselves.

• Just going to add my vote on this

With all the siege equipment available, I think this would be very interesting. Being able to blow up the walls with catapults would be really awesome

• Catapults is what M&B sieges always lacked. It could be so much better in Chivalry.

• I think before Chivalry Developers create this “mode” it would be so much faster through the Custom Content community, in-fact this isn’t necessarily a new mode to be made from scratch and just relies on a map built around multiple avenues towards one objective. So I think this could be developed fairly fast with just a fan who wants to create an M&B style map! Now you just need to shout it out there to that community :P!

• @Siegbert:

As defender you feel like actually defending your castle rather than stopping the enemy from just completing an objective the map wants them to do.

I find this statement very interesting and I believe there is truth to it.

As it is now you still have the same grand final goal for the attacks but its chopped up into parts giving the defenders multiple chances, I feel this would be the biggest difference.

With only one shot at defending the throne it could make for quite an epic battle.
    with a bigger goal ( stop the attackers from breaking in and taking over the whole flipping castle instead of stop the attackers from pushing a siege cart up the hill.) it can seem like the significance of the battle is greater therefor sucking your attention into it even more.

Also with more then one way of completing an objective there is the uncertainty of were the enemy will be, this can be a bad or a good thing. depends on the Devs original view of the game I suppose.

Whereas it all comes down to willing suspension of disbelief no matter how you look at it just for the fun of it I would love to try this game mode some time in the future, perhaps through some custom content made by one of our wonderful mod-makers as Fluffy suggested.

• Yeah you would not need a new mode for this. I am sure ideas for maps like this were not lost on the devs, but they wanted something different with there initial maps on release.

When the SDK is released we will see siege style maps being made.

• @King:

With only one shot at defending the throne it could make for quite an epic battle.

There’s the magic sentence! I couldn’t think of why M&B had a personal feel to its main objective in siege mode castles

• @Fluffykins:

I think before Chivalry Developers create this “mode” it would be so much faster through the Custom Content community, in-fact this isn’t necessarily a new mode to be made from scratch and just relies on a map built around multiple avenues towards one objective. So I think this could be developed fairly fast with just a fan who wants to create an M&B style map! Now you just need to shout it out there to that community :P!

You’re right. I too think it’s not necessarily a new game mode. It could very well be achieved with the team objective mechanics. There would be only one objective but many things to destroy or get past before.

Another thing that would be cool about it is playing the same map several times just changing who is the attacking team. If I’m not mistaken it was like this in cRPG: one faction attacked over and over again. Once they had won a round they were the defending team.