Developer's Q&A!

• Yea you won’t.
    UDK is 100% free for personal use you can get it yourself at
    www.udk.com

• Lol go TheRed start mapping :D :D

• Nearly a gig…
    :O

• Ehm just wanted to ask… Are you going to make it dedicated servers like aoc? Or lame stupid host system like in modern warfare 2;)? Dedicated servers would be prefered:)

• No one is that stupid.

I hope.

• The new art direction seems a lot more medieval, no more mason knights with horns on their helmets I take it?
    I also noticed the new Heraldric Animals for each faction and I think the world seems more believable now with a stronger connection to the medieval theme! It really gives of a different vibe.

And what are the plans for the siege machines which we had in AoC?

• Will you include a repeating crossbow? Will players be able to push catapults forward? Will the environment include more destructible terrain? Will there be horses? Will there be boats?
    Most importantly though, will you include any sort of single player? Like a tale of a group of thieves or something?

• We have a lot of questions here!

@Thorbjorn:

Ehm just wanted to ask… Are you going to make it dedicated servers like aoc? Or lame stupid host system like in modern warfare 2;)? Dedicated servers would be prefered:)

The system is not like Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2, it is comparable to Source in that aspect - you will be able to make local servers, and install and manage dedicated servers yourself as those files are simply downloadable. Whilst I’m on this subject, I just want to throw in that at the current stage, the server must be a Windows server to run the game. This is not part of the game design, it is a restriction on the engine itself, but I feel, and I’m sure others will agree with me, it’s a worthy compromise. It may be able to run on Linux in the future, but I’m unable to say when. Game hosts that run Windows servers will be able to sell game servers to you as they normally would. It might be worth asking your favourite hosts if they run Windows servers, as I’m aware some run Linux only.

@Seiseki:

The new art direction seems a lot more medieval, no more mason knights with horns on their helmets I take it?
    I also noticed the new Heraldric Animals for each faction and I think the world seems more believable now with a stronger connection to the medieval theme! It really gives of a different vibe.

And what are the plans for the siege machines which we had in AoC?

I agree that the new Heraldic animals give off a different and much more realistic vibe!

Siege engines could include: Catapults, Ballistas, Trebuchets, Battering Rams, Boiling Oil, Mantlets, Siege Towers, Ladders and more, as stated on the about page. If anyone has any other great ideas for Siege engines or engines you’d like to see, then we’d love to hear them!

@tribalbeat:

Will you include a repeating crossbow? Will players be able to push catapults forward? Will the environment include more destructible terrain? Will there be horses? Will there be boats?
    Most importantly though, will you include any sort of single player? Like a tale of a group of thieves or something?

Wow, where to begin! These are some great questions offering some great ideas also, which were totally unachievable in Age of Chivalry due to engine restrictions.

A repeating crossbow is not on the list of weapons planned, but as we are aiming towards a comprehensive unlock system, it certainly isn’t being ruled out!

Pushing catapults forwards, or generally moving them from a static position could be a nice idea, but at this stage, it’s difficult to say whether that will or will not be included. It depends on the map it will be in and the map’s intended dynamics.

With regards to the environment, it would depend entirely on the map and what exactly we have to play with that could be destructive. It’s certainly something I would love to see more of myself, especially in cases where there could potentially be sieges, and will strive to suggest it where possible!

Horses - something that was very difficult to achieve in Source, but there was a prototype which was never revealed. Let’s just say, it was a car with a horse model! In Chivalry however, horses are not planned for the initial release, but you may or may not see an update dedicated to them in the future. We’re not ruling them out!

When you say boats, do you mean moving boats, or static boats, or a map dedicated to a large number of boats or a single ship with naval warfare somewhere along the lines? You may see boats in maps, but whether or not these will be movable, I can’t say. Again, it would depend on the map in question and it’s intended dynamics.

Excluding the ability to fight bots, there has been some discussion on single player and what we would want to potentially achieve from it. Our main focus will be on perfecting multiplayer for everyone’s enjoyment for the first release rather than providing a dumbed down single player campaign/mission of sorts. As I keep saying, it’s something that could make it into a future update, when we feel the time is right!

• how big are the maps going to be? because i know some maps in AoC right now there’s generally only medium sized maps, but i would like to see GIGANTIC ones…eventually of course lol, because it would be hard to fill those types of maps right at the beginning :P

• @Blaine:

Excluding the ability to fight bots, there has been some discussion on single player and what we would want to potentially achieve from it. Our main focus will be on perfecting multiplayer for everyone’s enjoyment for the first release rather than providing a dumbed down single player campaign/mission of sorts. As I keep saying, it’s something that could make it into a future update, when we feel the time is right!

So you will be having multiplayer AI for all stock game modes and maps?

Not enough games have bots nowadays, and I like to play a bit offline. UT3 has some great bots, so I assume UDK uses the UT3 multiplayer AI?

• so am i correct with saying that when you choose your character IE. archer you will then pick your weapons like that in mount and blade warband multiplayer?

• @Samula:

so am i correct with saying that when you choose your character IE. archer you will then pick your weapons like that in mount and blade warband multiplayer?

Pretty much, maybe not as much as in mnb, but thats the idea. It also says it in the about page.

• What happened to the siege engineer?

• Will the movement from Age of Chivalry be preserved, i.e. the move speed and spinting/jump-crouching from HL2?

Additionally, will we be seeing any new movement abilities, such as shoves, climbing, rolls, or anything like that? Glad to see you guys have made the jump to commercial, and I wish you all the best of luck.

• I know the answers to these questions, but I cant say anything :P

• Then dont say anything at all :P

• You spoil all my fun!

• I didnt intend to.

• Are you going to keep all the old weapons from AoC? Like the warhammer,battleaxe,flail, mace and all the others would be a shame if you took any of them away:/ and also will there maybe be onehanded axes as primary weapons:)?

1. What sort of price-range are you expecting?

2. Will you release everything at once or do a few paid or free DLCs with new content after release?

3. Will it be on steam?

• Will it be a steam exclusive?
      • Will you be using steamworks for multiplayer, with match making, servers and such?
      • What about other steamwork goodies like stats, achievements and steam cloud?