How does counter really work?

• I mean i know i have to do the same attack as my opponent. But also if i get a successful counter with blue sparks, its seems my opponent is still able to block the counter 9 out of 10 times with normal blocking. Why? Am i missing something?
    I tried to do a counter attack as fast as possible, i tried it mid animation and i also tried it as late as possible but nothing seems to work constant for me. I think try to counter as late as possible has the best success rate like 2-3 out of 10 for me but dont works all the time, opponent is still able to block. Also i play Falcion who is a fast weapon.
    So if i get successfull counter with blue sparks, should my opponent be able to block this or should i always hit? isnt counter intended to hit always?
    If you have any tipps how counter really work or when i exactely should press counter whould be appreciated.

• Counter is not a guaranteed punish, it is just the fastest way to retaliate with the added benefit of regenerating some stamina.

You should be countering very often, almost to the point of every chance you can. The only times I purposefully don’t counter is when I’m trying to land a kick after a block.

• @Swag-Mountains said in How does counter really work?:

Counter is not a guaranteed punish, it is just the fastest way to retaliate with the added benefit of regenerating some stamina.

You should be countering very often, almost to the point of every chance you can. The only times I purposefully don’t counter is when I’m trying to land a kick after a block.

Exactly this. Although, if you have a much faster weapon than your opponent, they fail a counter attempt of their own, or they just simply neglect to block, that will usually net you a successful hit after a counter of your own.

Alternatively, it’s main feature, which is EXTREMELY useful, is the stamina regen. No stamina = disarmed = immanent death.

Try countering and when you see blue sparks and your attack wind up begins, instantly feint into another attack direction. I find that works most of the time to get in a hit and it throws off the rhythm of the typical “countering back and forth dance” to your benefit.

• @Swag-Mountains ok if its not a guaranteed hit then it makes sense that 2 out of 10 hit. I was thinking counter is a guaranteed hit ;) So i learned something new. Thx for the answer.

• Any time friend