Realistic Archery

• I practice archery in real life. Real medieval arrows were much deadlier and had a bit more straight trajectory and higher velocity than those in game. I’m not sure if you folks are aiming to achieve realistic medieval warfare, but if you are, arrow damage needs to be increased. Steel tips of real arrows could pierce steel armor. They wouldn’t go through, but could go deep enough to bleed soldier to death. Which is another idea - bleeding.
    Basically, it should not take more than 2 arrows to kill a foe.

• @sunnyb0y:

I practice archery in real life. Real medieval arrows were much deadlier and had a bit more straight trajectory and higher velocity than those in game. I’m not sure if you folks are aiming to achieve realistic medieval warfare, but if you are, arrow damage needs to be increased. Steel tips of real arrows could pierce steel armor. They wouldn’t go through, but could go deep enough to bleed soldier to death. Which is another idea - bleeding.
    Basically, it should not take more than 2 arrows to kill a foe.

If you want realistic, stab with a sword should be an instant kill in the game.

hammer blow to the head should also be an instant kill.

• I also practice archery and I agree with both of these posts.

• I think “authenticity” is what this game is about rather than “realism”. And one hit kills, be it with arrows or a swords to the face would not contribute to fun or engaging game-play.

• Arrows - and most weapons in the game, actually - would glance off plate armor and not leave any kind of dent or even a scratch. Neither one hit kills with arrows nor knights being immune to most forms of damage would be good gameplay mechanics. Warbow headshot will already kill any class but a knight.

• It really depends in my opinion. Sorry if I came off strong in the other thread, I just feel like archers are really not getting a fair draw (no pun intended) in this mod. They were my favorite class in the HL2 version (specifically crossbow) and I feel like the crossbow has been completely neutered. The war bow is pretty good… crossbow though, yech.

• @SlyGoat:

Arrows - and most weapons in the game, actually - would glance off plate armor and not leave any kind of dent or even a scratch.

http://youtu.be/KCE40J93m5c?t=31s

:archb:

I can agree with oneshot kills to the body being boring, but let’s not get all crazy and say these things that did what they did didn’t do what they did.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

@SlyGoat:

Arrows - and most weapons in the game, actually - would glance off plate armor and not leave any kind of dent or even a scratch.

http://youtu.be/KCE40J93m5c?t=31s

:archb:

I can agree with oneshot kills to the body being boring, but let’s not get all crazy and say these things that did what they did didn’t do what they did.

This video doens’t prove anything because that’s not the breastplate they would’ve used in medieval times.

Yes, the uploader says ‘‘14th century replica’’ but where’s the proof? That plate is made with modern blacksmithing method and it doesn’t necessarily reflect what they were capable at the time. That breastplate seems to be too thin and super light. The breastplates I’ve seen in real life (Yes I’ve touched them) were really thick and super heavy.

• God no, if arrows did more damage, i think that everyone would play as them. Personally feel they do too much already, 1 hit killing a vanguard with a warbow in the face

• @POOP:

This video doens’t prove anything because that’s not the breastplate they would’ve used in medieval times.

Yes, the uploader says ‘‘14th century replica’’ but where’s the proof? That plate is made with modern blacksmithing method and it doesn’t necessarily reflect what they were capable at the time. That breastplate seems to be too thin and super light. The breastplates I’ve seen in real life (Yes I’ve touched them) were really thick and super heavy.

You probably had some cheap, ceremonial, or jousting armor presented to you.

But I’m glad we’re all agreeing that warbows and arrowheads that were created for the purpose of going through armor actually did little more than make a cute clink noise and bounce off.

• Historically speaking the longbow and bodkin arrow combination made heavy armor largely obsolete, the classic example is Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt.

• @Albastard:

Historically speaking the longbow and bodkin arrow combination made heavy armor largely obsolete, the classic example is Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt.

That is not really accurate. Plate armor did not start to decline until the 17th century. With the development of the Flintlock musket. Which could easily penetrate plate armor at a distance.

The success of the longbow at the Battle of Agincourt was more down to the share numbers of archers used by Henry, around 7000, and there placement on the flanks and front-middle. The french Men-at-arms advancing through heavy mud, with stood a hail of arrows, but they still managed to reach the English line and push them back. But with the Archers on the flanks they could fire at point blank almost and side on into weak points in there heavy plate armor. But crucially when they had fired all there arrows they picked up weapons and join the battle wreaking havoc on the french.

The french archers and crossbowmen meanwhile had been placed at the back of the line and remained largely unused.

Bodkin arrow or not. In a battle with archers you would always have been better off with plate armor than not.

• I’m down for less drop and faster velocity but then the arrows would have to do less damage. There’s already too many archers already to make them better.

• I think only the third crossbow should have to kill all classes in one hit al long as you dont shoot them in their legs

• edit

• @Po1ymorph:

I think “authenticity” is what this game is about rather than “realism”. And one hit kills, be it with arrows or a swords to the face would not contribute to fun or engaging game-play.

Play a jav man :)

You get 1 shot by arrows and by melee.

• Medieval armor and arms were both light and people using them were short. I think damage falling off after the projectile has traveled some distance would have a good place in game though. It would emphasize the melee nature of this game.

• @faltion:

I’m down for less drop and faster velocity but then the arrows would have to do less damage. There’s already too many archers already to make them better.

No better just make aiming harder. Get red of the aiming help in the center of your view, so you have to aim with your arrow tip.

• I’d like to see deflection in the game. It’d make for some fun kills on the guy who received the deflected arrow…or more TK’s lol.

• Going by that asinine comment about arrows being deflected; Mason Order dumbassedly employs leather straps on all units, so why does a heavy knight take 4-5 ARROWS? It’s ridiculous how under powered ranged weapons are, especially when they are so hard to use and most maps don’t have good places for them.