HUD, GUI, Voice-overs, Spectator remarks & suggestions

• Hello all,

First of all I have not read the other threads, which might cause me pointing at things that have been discussed before. But I just want to share my ideas, without first having to read everything others have written. Personally I have a background mainly as UT player, and also as QuakeLive player. Besides that I like games such as Civilization 5.

Secondly I really like this game. It is really good and I think it has a lot of potential to improve even more.

Some things that I miss are extremely basic, and might even be possible to solve clientside. One such thing is a scoreboard on the HUD. Especially in teamgames this is essential (scores + how many alive per team), but also in FFA it’s very nice to see who is the top fragger, and how much his and your scores differ without having to press TAB for the complete scoreboard. Another small thing might be the unlocking progress and a notification when you unlock a weapon.

Spectator mode could also improve, I would like 1st person spectating for instance. Then you can see what others do more precisely, and this is also great if one day there will be clan games with streamers.

Then the GUI is quite honestly appalling at the moment. The fonts sometimes don’t fit in the layout and it’s just not really appealing or great from a usability point of view.

Lastly A bonus idea that is not really required. Games like UT, Quake and also Mortal Kombat have some voice-overs for special events. Think of the ‘Excellent’ event when you frag 2 people in 2 seconds in Quake, or the headshot and killing sprees in UT. This might add to some arcade feeling. This reminds me that sometimes it’s not even clear when you killed someone, except if you check the kills-log on the right-top corner of course.

I’m pretty sure you are working hard on improvements for the game already, and perhaps all my ideas are in progress, or replaced with even better ideas, I’m looking forward to how the game develops.

• @tnz:

Hello all,

First of all I have not read the other threads, which might cause me pointing at things that have been discussed before. But I just want to share my ideas, without first having to read everything others have written. Personally I have a background mainly as UT player, and also as QuakeLive player. Besides that I like games such as Civilization 5.

Secondly I really like this game. It is really good and I think it has a lot of potential to improve even more.

Some things that I miss are extremely basic, and might even be possible to solve clientside. One such thing is a scoreboard on the HUD. Especially in teamgames this is essential (scores + how many alive per team), but also in FFA it’s very nice to see who is the top fragger, and how much his and your scores differ without having to press TAB for the complete scoreboard. Another small thing might be the unlocking progress and a notification when you unlock a weapon.

Spectator mode could also improve, I would like 1st person spectating for instance. Then you can see what others do more precisely, and this is also great if one day there will be clan games with streamers.

Then the GUI is quite honestly appalling at the moment. The fonts sometimes don’t fit in the layout and it’s just not really appealing or great from a usability point of view.

Lastly A bonus idea that is not really required. Games like UT, Quake and also Mortal Kombat have some voice-overs for special events. Think of the ‘Excellent’ event when you frag 2 people in 2 seconds in Quake, or the headshot and killing sprees in UT. This might add to some arcade feeling. This reminds me that sometimes it’s not even clear when you killed someone, except if you check the kills-log on the right-top corner of course.

I’m pretty sure you are working hard on improvements for the game already, and perhaps all my ideas are in progress, or replaced with even better ideas, I’m looking forward to how the game develops.

If you don’t know, Torn Banner is going for immersive game experience, and minimalistic HUD is one of the things that is needed for immersive experience. HUD is not there not because developers are lazy; it’s not there because it’s intended.

I agree spectator mode could be improved.

I’m not sure if you’ve been playing this game, but how in what way did you get arcade-y feeling from this game? This game is all about the grittiness of a medieval battle. Adding voiceovers like triple kill, monster kill would be beyond silly.