Competitive scene

• Developer

From the talk about competitive play we’ve seen so far there are 2 sides, clan wars and Esports.
    There’s no reason to focus on one and there’s definitely room for both!

Chivalry as an esport.
    An esport scene has much more potential to grow and attract more people to play this game competitively.
    The reason esport games run with relatively small teams is because it makes it so much easier to run regular tournaments, put focus and give attention to teams/personalities aswell as give out prizes.
    This will also make it a lot easier for us to help the competitive side of our game.
    With the combat being so good (I’m quite biased!) it can stand on it’s own, maybe with some map additions in the future, but low player count games should be very exiting to play.

Clan wars in Chivalry.
    there’s allready an existing community coming over from AoC who will be far better at describing what they want out of it.
    Clan wars provide a different kind of experience that appeals more to some people and while it’s fun and a scene focused on it is awesome, it’s unable to achieve certain things that an esport scene can do.

The reason I’m writing this is because I believe we need to make it clear when discussing tournaments and such that we can have both and they shouldn’t be confused with eachother.

Esport scene - focus on 1v1 up to 5v5
    Clan wars - anything above

This is just meant to help direct our focus going forward, if you have any thoughts post them here or in a seperate thread.

• Why not 6v6?

• I’m definitely more into eSports. I don’t like team work. >:(

• Rasmus is my new favorite.

• Nice that this is being proposed, but what is the difference between eSports and other competitive play? Wikipedia tells me that “Electronic sports (eSports) comprises the competitive play of video games”. I don’t believe the difference is just that eSports has less people, because then it wouldn’t get this much threads. Is it that the developers offer prize money?

Sorry if I’m just being daft and missing something :?

• Developer

Technically there isn’t really a difference, but if you look at games with an esport scene out there the ones who have succeeded have low player counts.
    For now there wont be a noticeable difference but building an esport scene has the potential to grow into much more then a clan war scene can.
    The less players you need to have a tournament the easier it is to run them.
    prizes mean a lot more when their given to just a few people.
    Just 2 basic things but I’m sure you get the idea.
    This is mostly just a base for how to discuss the competitive scene in the future as people have been discussing it without separating them.

• If Chivalry wants to be an “esport” it needs developer support. Spectator HUD, recording tools, competitive config / readying mechanic. This wasn’t here on release unfortunately, but nothing is going to go anywhere until that comes along. Oh and money tournaments.

• Developer

We have most of those things in the works and should have them all implemented eventually except for replays. There was plans for replay support early on but we haven’t talked about it for a long time and don’t have any plans for it right now.

• @NeoRussia:

If Chivalry wants to be an “esport” it needs developer support. Spectator HUD, recording tools, competitive config / readying mechanic. This wasn’t here on release unfortunately, but nothing is going to go anywhere until that comes along. Oh and money tournaments.

Does LoL even have replays yet? I know it took them 2 years to have spectator mode at all. I wouldn’t call any of these things required.

• @SlyGoat:

@NeoRussia:

If Chivalry wants to be an “esport” it needs developer support. Spectator HUD, recording tools, competitive config / readying mechanic. This wasn’t here on release unfortunately, but nothing is going to go anywhere until that comes along. Oh and money tournaments.

Does LoL even have replays yet? I know it took them 2 years to have spectator mode at all. I wouldn’t call any of these things required.

LoL wouldn’t be an esport at all if it wasn’t for all the money that the developers giving out and there was another moba game at the time. If Torn Banner throws $$$ at tournament providers I’d imagine the same thing will happen as did with LoL.

• Thanks for the explanation, Rasmus. So from what I gather it’s basically smaller and more ‘official’.

I feel weird about developers giving money as a reward. It’s like ‘hey, you’re really good at our game, take some of our money!’. Maybe they can give the winner a neat personal helmet though, or a crest on their armour. Something cool which makes everyone recognize you. And they have to keep winning the big tournaments, otherwise it goes to the new winner (a bit like you would picture it in medieval tournaments).

• I think without money rewards though, a lot of people would feel much less interested in competitive Chivalry.

• Then join the e-sport league that was just put out http://www.darkagegaming.com/

It has tournaments with small cash prizes.

• I hope war and tournaments go away from the silly constant Team objective in AoC. Lets get some deathmatches in there and some king of the hill etc.

• Death match is the worst game mode for competitive play, boring to watch and boring to play :P.

• @SOC:

I think without money rewards though, a lot of people would feel much less interested in competitive Chivalry.

I doubt it. People usually play competitively for the sport of it; you don’t get money just by playing this game either. If people don’t want to test their mettle unless they’re offered money I don’t see why they would even play a competitive game.

• @Kwal:

@SOC:

I think without money rewards though, a lot of people would feel much less interested in competitive Chivalry.

I doubt it. People usually play competitively for the sport of it; you don’t get money just by playing this game either. If people don’t want to test their mettle unless they’re offered money I don’t see why they would even play a competitive game.

+10

• yeaaaaaaaaaaa buddy!!!

• Somehow it is relaxed and nice when there is no price. Feels like the likelihood that someone would cheat is less, which is nice. You get less upset bu bugs etc as there is no money on the line too.

• Bigger formats induce more people, a game like Chivalry needs numbers, 1 - 5 on a team seems to shallow. 10 V 10 would be ideal, anything below 8 is too spacious.

Like most PC games these days, a world tournament would be a great kick-off with each part of the world having a qualifier following finals between the top teams.