1st Person vs 3rd person POV.

• So I got chivalry about two days ago and let me say I really enjoy the game. The mechanics are a little ‘meh’ but overall very solid. The amount of content, customization, unlocks and progression system could definitely be better, but overall it’s not terrible either, not going to nitpick. I really wish there was better death-cam that you could follow players with as well as a built in theater system. Balance and all that feels a little off, but until I personally play more and figure out the game more I won’t comment on that. Anyways, I have been messing around with 3rd person view vs’s 1st person view and can’t decide which one holds the more distinct advantage, but in my limited experience I am finding 3rd person to be better for several reasons.

In 3rd person view you have far greater ‘awareness’ of the battle, you can spot allies in need of help easier and are able to position yourself in combat much better I find. With 1st person I find myself getting ‘tunnel’ visioned sometimes against a person in combat and the next thing you know 3 guys are on me and slaughter me. With 3rd person this does not happen, my awareness is peaked. I am able to disengage battles and move to the safety of allies or snipe enemies already in combat much more often in 3rd person vs’s 1st and I find my positioning and choice of engagements to be much more educated in 3rd person.

The second reason I like 3rd person view is I feel like I can see enemies telegraph their movements and their attacks much easier. In 3rd person view I feel a greater sense of positioning in contrast to my opponents positioning and I am able to gauge distance and counter easier in 3rd person. I find it easier to spot feints and real attacks and differentiate between the two as well.

There are several downsides to 3rd person POV I have noted as well however. The ranged class in 3rd person view feels as though the crosshair is not accurate at ALL in accordance to where the shot is coming out of the bow, hand etc. This is possibly a bug that needs to be patched and I hope by bringing this to your attention that you can look into it. When shooting with any weapon in 3rd person view the shot appears to be coming out adjacent to the left of the crosshair and not the center! It is cockeyed as hell and makes aiming fatiguing and inaccurate until you mentally adjust to aiming with the side of your cross hair instead! The same can be said with melee combat as well, the dot cross hair at times feels like it is not ‘centered’ and is cockeyed to where you actually need to be aiming as well, which can make parries and strikes feel a little ‘off’ until you adjust.

The other less pressing downside with 3rd person is it takes away from the ‘experience’ of the intensity and realism of combat that Chivalry provides in its combat. When in 3rd person view it really takes away that feel of being in an intense realistic combat scenario and brings it into more of an ‘arcadey’ feel which might be a downside for some. I personally enjoy it.

I need to play around with it a bit more, the melee combat in 3rd person definitely feels pretty solid. At first I was having trouble hitting parries but the more I practice with it the stronger I feel that 3rd person is superior to first person for a gamer who cares less about the realism and experience and more about improving K/D and competitive play!

I could be completely on 4th street in my judgement here, many people may disagree with me, in fact my own opinion may change in time the more I switch back and forth. I just thought I would share this idea with you folks, see what you think about it and report back your feelings on the matter.

Forgive grammatical, spelling, syntax error, too lazy to spellcheck :D

• I completely agree with you, I love 3rd person for melee fighting. At first I played PoV since I didn’t even know that there was a way to change the views. On accident I hit the “L” key and I was rewarded with 3rd person view.

I haven’t looked back I have so much more command of the battle field with 3rd person view than on first person view.

• As a archer/javelineer, I do better with first person, even in melee. I need to be able to focus on one person and see exactly what he’s going to do, or I will die. Also with such a small shield, I need to be very precise with my blocking and first person makes it much easier to aim at the tip of the enemy weapon.

Also, even if I could play better in 3rd person, I still wouldn’t. You said one of the downsides is that it takes away from the experience of the game, and to me that’s more important than topping the charts every game. If I wanted to be competitive I’d play League of Legends, this game is just to have some fun.

• Third person is a clear advantage over people in first person, you can see people around you which ultimately eliminates flanking. The game was clearly meant to be played in first person so I wonder why third person is even in there.

Ah well, first person only servers are where its at !

• The problem with playing in 3rd person to get the competitive edge is that if you are actually interested in real competition, you should know most competitive matches will be first person only - so you’ll have to relearn the game in first person if and when you feel like joining a clan or league or something.

• @SlyGoat:

The problem with playing in 3rd person to get the competitive edge is that if you are actually interested in real competition, you should know most competitive matches will be first person only - so you’ll have to relearn the game in first person if and when you feel like joining a clan or league or something.

If that is the case slygoat then I think 3rd person should be removed altogether because what is the point then.

• @immakulate:

@SlyGoat:

The problem with playing in 3rd person to get the competitive edge is that if you are actually interested in real competition, you should know most competitive matches will be first person only - so you’ll have to relearn the game in first person if and when you feel like joining a clan or league or something.

If that is the case slygoat then I think 3rd person should be removed altogether because what is the point then.

I agree if it wasn’t meant to be there then……why is it there? There isn’t a competitive advantage as any player can do it. It’s not an exploit or exclusive to certain players so if a player elects not to use it good for them and if they choose to use it good for them.

• I would vote to have it removed.

For me you lose the sense of immersion in 3rd person anyway. And the visceral feel of the combat.

• @immakulate:

@SlyGoat:

The devs included it because most people are still used to 3rd person melee combat - few games try to do first person like this. The decision that competitive games should be first person only was entirely community driven, because the majority of players prefer playing in first person for the immersion and better communication required, but would be forced to play in 3rd person to have that edge if it were allowed.

• @SlyGoat:

@immakulate:

@SlyGoat:

The devs included it because most people are still used to 3rd person melee combat - few games try to do first person like this. The decision that competitive games should be first person only was entirely community driven, because the majority of players prefer playing in first person for the immersion and better communication required, but would be forced to play in 3rd person to have that edge if it were allowed.

Well I don’t like the idea of having to be forced to use 1st person if I decide to play competitive matchups, especially when every server I have played on allows for 3rd person POV. They need to change that otherwise you are forced to use an ‘inferior’ POV in pubs just because you are forced to use it in private competitive play or pugs.

• I vote remove the damned thing

• I don’t agree with taking it out. It makes the game more fun having the option which is what it should be. Not all of us care about competitive games.

• @Atwa:

Third person is a clear advantage over people in first person, you can see people around you which ultimately eliminates flanking. The game was clearly meant to be played in first person so I wonder why third person is even in there.

Ah well, first person only servers are where its at !

3rd person hardly eliminates flanking. The only effective 3rd person view is directly behind the player, due to the cursor being off when using left/right shoulder views making precise blocking impossible, and it is DIRECTLY behind the player. I come from M&B Warband(which I’ve played more hours then I care to admit) and even I prefer 1st person in this game. But to each his own ;)

• @SlyGoat:

@immakulate:

@SlyGoat:

if the best thing about 1st person is the experience and 3rd person gives you an advantage it should really just not be an option. Youre not funneling people towards the best part of the game (1st person melee)

• I don’t ever use 3rd person but I don’t really feel it’s enough of an advantage to remove the option all together. Let server admins and leagues decide for themselves.

• I like to use both,
    Toggle 1st/3rd option is Best!

1st when far away,
    Then,
    Switch to 1st up close.

I think all games should allow 1st and 3rd= More players/options 8-)

Go ask Red Faction what happens when you force 3rd person only on 1st person Customers!

• First Person.
    Easy to keep an overview once you are used to it.

I played Mount and Blade / Crpg for 1800 hours.
    Always 3rd Person.

In Chiv. battles are way smaller and 1st Person makes more sense.

• @immakulate:

Well I don’t like the idea of having to be forced to use 1st person if I decide to play competitive matchups, especially when every server I have played on allows for 3rd person POV. They need to change that otherwise you are forced to use an ‘inferior’ POV in pubs just because you are forced to use it in private competitive play or pugs.

Exactly!
    It seems people can’t think rationally here. First person vs third person can actually break the game and the community, which is damn silly. Either First person gives you more advantage, or your completely drop it.

• @UnfriendlyBG:

if the best thing about 1st person is the experience and 3rd person gives you an advantage it should really just not be an option. Youre not funneling people towards the best part of the game (1st person melee)

I think 3rd person in Chivalry is great. It looks and feels good and it matches my playstyle. If anyone prefers 1st person I give them that. Don’t know either of the options should be restricted. Obviously there are some hardcore gamers in 1st person who beat the shit out of anybody. So it’s rather a matter of familiarization.

• I like both POV. I generally play in 3rd person because I find it less tiring to play over long sessions (less spinning around looking for flanks etc), and on a large monitor it can be a bit disorienting, but I do enjoy playing 1st person when I want that hectic feel, and I think it has advantages in 1on1 melee combat as well as fixing the aiming issues with ranged weapons. I know a few people wo can’t play 1st person because it makes them feel dizzy/ill (despite playing with different FOV settings), so I do think it’s necessary. 1st person only servers are a perfect way to level the playing field for those that object. Why ruin the game for those who can’t use 1st person?