1st Person vs 3rd person POV.

• @~X~:

I believe neither view has an advantage. When it comes to winning, it doesn’t matter what view is used.

As long as players are using the view they are used to, the better player will win. If you play in first person enough, you can do everything you can do in 3rd.

The 3rd person camera doesn’t allow much view behind you, mostly only on your sides. You can also see on your sides in first person by raising the FoV slider. So neither view really matters.

Some high horse type people will try to convince you though that 3rd offers an advantage and that 1st should be the only view allowed in the game. Its natural human behavior to want to control what others do, rather than a to each their own attitude.

Next they will argue, remove the FoV slider? It offers an advantage over the default FoV? Lol.

I agree with this, the option is there for whatever reason that you want to tell yourself. The problem comes in when folks want to naturally create a hierarchy so as to establish dominance over other players. One way of doing this is by stating “this weapon is for noobs” or “the true players only use this view.”

I’ve played some great 1v1 duels against guys that use 1st person PoV and they would wreck folks. They didn’t seem to be hamstrung by not being in 3rd person. I’ll say what I stated before if the devs didn’t want it in there then they wouldn’t have put it in there.

• I use First person but I don’t really see the advantage of 3rd person. They have better vision but you can attack and block better. Seems fair to me.

• @1TZ_Charizard:

I use First person but I don’t really see the advantage of 3rd person. They have better vision but you can attack and block better. Seems fair to me.

Just raise your FoV in first person and then you have the same vision as 3rd person. :)

“Actually now that I think about it. 1st person high FoV is an advantage over 3rd default FoV because you can see people on your sides whether they are close or far. In 3rd you can only see them once they are in your face.”

That would be what I’d say if I used the same logic as those arguing 3rd person is an advantage. Luckily I don’t use that flawed logic.

• how can you tell what servers have 3rd person disabled?

All you have to say is that shields obstruct your view in 1st person but don’t in 3rd person. That alone is enough to say that 3rd person is more advantageous.

• @UnfriendlyBG:

how can you tell what servers have 3rd person disabled?

All you have to say is that shields obstruct your view in 1st person but don’t in 3rd person. That alone is enough to say that 3rd person is more advantageous.

I play with a tower shield in 1st person and it’s not a problem. Just practice and you get good at seeing just fine on the edges of shield. Also you should be tapping block even with a shield, not holding it because it will drain your stamina.

In first person high FoV you can see a lot with a tower shield still as well.

I went 19-0 on a duel server yesterday using tower shield in first person.

• @~X~:

@UnfriendlyBG:

I play with a tower shield in 1st person and it’s not a problem. Just practice and you get good at seeing just fine on the edges of shield. Also you should be tapping block even with a shield, not holding it because it will drain your stamina.

Holding a shield was meant to be a disadvantage in First person. The developers made it so. Say whatever you want, but it’s a significant disadvantage, and your will perform better in third person.

And you don’t have the same vision than third person at 120 FOV. What gives you this ridiculous conception? 120 degree < 180 degree of 3rd person (not even counting your back view in third person).

• @akarnir:

@~X~:

@UnfriendlyBG:

Holding a shield was meant to be a disadvantage in First person. The developers made it so. Say whatever you want, but it’s a significant disadvantage, and your will perform better in third person.

And you don’t have the same vision than third person at 120 FOV. What gives you this ridiculous conception? 120 degree < 180 degree of 3rd person (not even counting your back view in third person).

You have very little back view in third person. Also there’s no camera collision so in third person, if you ever have your back to a wall, you become blind. You might know that if you actually played 3rd person and then made a post.

You can see just as much in first person, also FoV can be raised even higher. Fact is, the dev’s did a good job on the game and it just comes down to who plays better. It can comfort you to tell yourself you lost to someone because they used 3rd person and that’s totally ok to do. I can accept that, so to each their own. :)

• You guys can play with FOV up all the way? I think the game looks unplayable like that. Hmm, I’ll have to try it out.

I don’t think 3rd person is a completely OP advantage, like other have said, it has its ups it has its downs. I do think 1st person offers more precision as far as blocking for sure. I’ll have to keep messing with it more.

• well lemme just be clear here, I also think playing 1st person with 120 fov is a lame thing to do as well.

• I lol at people talking about imbalance and removing of third person. Stick to your sissy “no third person” servers and let the rest of the people enjoy the game in the way they like.

Personally me and all of my friends like to play in third person, and wouldn’t play the game otherwise.

• Can’t there be pros and cons for both? I find that blocking is easier in 1st person but I maintain a better battle awareness in 3rd person. I also like to see myself as a person in the fight.

Whoever says this game isn’t hectic while playing 3rd person I mean…people are screaming as they burn to death, gurgling on their own blood and being decapitated as others are roaring a battlecry as they enter the fray…this game is F’N INTENSE it doesn’t MATTER what view you use.

I play at 107 FoV, it looks right given the size of my monitor. 120 looks ridiculous, can’t play like that.

I think there’s there’s too much bickering about balance in this game. If you have solid blocking and make smart strikes there is no reason you cannot go toe to toe with anyone, regardless of the class/weapon types fighting one another. So now we’ve gone so far as to suggest someone else is gaining too much of an edge here, in viewpoint control and we need to nerf that too? Gimmie a break!

• I’m sure it’s been said but skill >PoV and it’s simple as that.

After playing around with both I really don’t see that much of a difference. While playing in 3rd person I got killed just as many times as I would of in 1st person. Sure you get a better view of the battlefield but I find that 99% of the time (for me at least) it didn’t matter. If I saw someone creeping up behind/beside while I was engaged in battle the chances of me being able to save myself from getting stabbed in the back was very small. I admit 3rd person did give a slight edge while selecting targets.

Having 3rd person removed would cause more harm than good, sure the hardcore players would be happy but it would upset those whole purchased the game to play in 3rd person only. It also may discourage future sales.

Having some servers being 1st person only (in my opinion) is the best thing that can be done at this point.

It shouldn’t matter what mode people play this in. It’s a game, people should be able to play it in whatever way THEY find fun.

• A game is supposed to give you a certain feel and a certain impression. And having everyone feel the same way and see each other the same way would mean that the feeling is shared. Sharing is caring. 3rd person can diminish immersion for both the player using it and for players fighting him.

• @Sultanofswing:

A game is supposed to give you a certain feel and a certain impression. And having everyone feel the same way and see each other the same way would mean that the feeling is shared. Sharing is caring. 3rd person can diminish immersion for both the player using it and for players fighting him.

I’m going to disagree with you on this, your feeling is not the same as my feeling and trying to impose your feeling on me doesn’t work for me. How would you feel if I said to you that you should only fight in 3rd person to be the same as everyone playing in 3rd person?

This is just a control thing, folks want to tell others how to enjoy the game they paid for. If the Dev’s didn’t want this view available it wouldn’t be there simple as that.

• I didnt mean that feelings would be telepathetically transferred. But we here are currently talking about a different experience because some of us play in 3rd person.
    @Blade:

How would you feel if I said to you that you should only fight in 3rd person to be the same as everyone playing in 3rd person?

Then i would have never played this game ;)
    There simply need to be bounds in order to preserve immersion. Adding 3rd person is a feature that affects all players. Similarly, devs could add an alien class with a lasergun because maybe thats the way some people would like to play this game. Again it would be a feature that affects all players. Its principally the same thing.

• @Sultanofswing:

Similarly, devs could add an alien class with a lasergun because maybe thats the way some people would like to play this game. Again it would be a feature that affects all players. Its principally the same thing.

With your example here I’ll expand on that, yes they could add that. For folks that wanted that game play they could make the choice of playing that game with the :P Alien class. Alternatively they can make the choice not to. The problem I see here is that folks that don’t want to choose 3rd person for whatever reason, then want to dictate to others that they should conform to their choice as well.

Also for (no pun intended) perspective we are talking about a camera position. Not an over powered weapon or class simply the view of your character while playing a game. As folks have said above people aren’t losing duels because of their camera choice.

• I think (if there already isn’t) there should be an option on the server browser to filter 1st\3rd\both views so it’s easier to find a game with people that are playing on the same view type. Also I think clan battles should be split up if a clan wants to play 3rd and play against other clans that use 3rd then why can’t they?

I think 3rd has advantages, but I think playing in thrid is fun as well.
    I play on 1st because I like realism, and it does suck knowing I could be fighting a person in 3rd.

• @Thylacine:

I think (if there already isn’t) there should be an option on the server browser to filter 1st\3rd\both views so it’s easier to find a game with people that are playing on the same view type. Also I think clan battles should be split up if a clan wants to play 3rd and play against other clans that use 3rd then why can’t they?

I think 3rd has advantages, but I think playing in thrid is fun as well.
    I play on 1st because I like realism, and it does suck knowing I could be fighting a person in 3rd.

Why would it matter? I play in 1st person and play against people using 3rd all the time. It offers no advantage or disadvantage.

If you want to see as good as 3rd person while in 1st person you can raise the FoV. Though it doesn’t matter what view is used, the better player wins.

• Watch this video and with a straight face try to tell me again that 3rd person is not an advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xlaISxn6Y#!

• @Knil:

Watch this video and with a straight face try to tell me again that 3rd person is not an advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xlaISxn6Y#!

I can do that in 1st person. Also this is a cut up youtube highlight video of him playing in an ffa server. You can try doing that to me and see how many times it works for you. Not sure why I gave a serious response.