Why are servers so high ping with this game?

• Very rarely have I ever gotten my ping under 100 in any server with this game. Are the majority of servers for this game located in Europe? I’m from the West coast USA.

• Something’s wrong with your net. I find plenty of <30 ping servers when I’m on my home connection, and plenty of <70 when I’m on my slow grandmother’s wireless net.

• I can usually find ~50ms servers w/o any problems. Sometimes I play on 35ms servers.
    Midwest.

• Server owner here, I usually see most players between 20 and 100 depending on their internet connection. It’s possible the problem is on your end.

There are several things you can do to help with that.

First I would try http://www.pingtest.net and see what your overall ping time is so you can get an idea of what you should be getting in-game. Try a few different servers around the U.S.

I would then look into changing your DNS to Google’s Public DNS and see if that helps. I used to have issues with my ISP’s DNS simply being horrible, and it resulted in bad ping. I changed to Google’s Public DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and now everything is fine.

There are also ping optimizer programs like CfosSpeed which shapes your traffic to help ping times.

Also the most important thing is making sure no other bandwidth-heavy programs are running in the background while you are playing. If you have limited bandwidth you also want to make sure nobody is on your wireless network at the same time as you, which can raise your ping due to having to share the network.

• Most likely due to very poor bandwidth and internet connection. Who is your ISP? I get 25 down and 2.5 up which is pretty crappy and I am usually getting around 50-80 ping on most servers while having it being shared by various devices in my house. I am located in Canada, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan so most servers aren’t located very near me which sucks D:

• You could also try forwarding the ports on your router. As chivalry runs in Steam I presume it use Steam ports.

Check here http://portforward.com/english/routers/ … rindex.htm for easy to follow guides for port forwarding.

• It’s not on my end. I’ve seen many other users report the same problem here. I’ve done ping tests and I’m getting excellent responses. 16 ping, no packet loss, and 2 ms of jitter. It is only with this game and none others. Any other game I play, I get under 50 at all times on West coast servers.

• I usually get around 30-60 ping and im from canada.

• @JakeLunn:

Server owner here, I usually see most players between 20 and 100 depending on their internet connection. It’s possible the problem is on your end.

There are several things you can do to help with that.

First I would try http://www.pingtest.net and see what your overall ping time is so you can get an idea of what you should be getting in-game. Try a few different servers around the U.S.

I would then look into changing your DNS to Google’s Public DNS and see if that helps. I used to have issues with my ISP’s DNS simply being horrible, and it resulted in bad ping. I changed to Google’s Public DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and now everything is fine.

There are also ping optimizer programs like CfosSpeed which shapes your traffic to help ping times.

Also the most important thing is making sure no other bandwidth-heavy programs are running in the background while you are playing. If you have limited bandwidth you also want to make sure nobody is on your wireless network at the same time as you, which can raise your ping due to having to share the network.

Jake this has been the single most helpfull advice regarding ping issues. You have my sincere gratitude.

• @Moontouch:

Very rarely have I ever gotten my ping under 100 in any server with this game. Are the majority of servers for this game located in Europe? I’m from the West coast USA.

I get around 60ms ping .I am from Canada.Check your ping with other servers in USA.If the ping is high for all then there is problem with your Internet connection.Close all the applications that uses Internet like downloaders,torrent applications,etc,.
    Use ping optimizer and TCP optimizer applications.They will optimize your Internet connection.Restart your system ,then check the ping now .You can do a ping test using the command “ping” in command prompt.
    To open command prompt Start->run->type “cmd” and press Enter.
    In the command prompt window type ping ipaddress (or)ping servername .
    for eg: ping 193.211.145.197 (or) ping abc.com
    If you have trouble using command interface,then you can do ping test easily from websites sites like WhoisXY.com .

• @Neogodhobo:

I usually get around 30-60 ping and im from canada.

Same. He probably uses DSL.

• This is a pretty big necro… but I’ve seen worse. Locked.