Is the hunting knife punishment for archers?

• Shorter reach than fists: I’ve been pushed up against people and the slash sometimes doesn’t hit and the backswing almost never does.

Pitiful damage: 3 thrusts to the back of an archer, 1 slash to the face. That’s how low the damage is. I think it takes like 10 swings to kill a knight.

Confusing purpose: with the hilariously short range you’d think stabbing would be the way to go. However it’s described as sucking in the stab department so you’re forced to pray that your opponent just bought this game.

It’s really awful, those kills to unlock the thrusting dagger were painful.

• Great way to challenge your self and perfect target for some hard to get achievements.

• That awkward moment when you have to tell someone they can use the broad dagger to unlock the thrusting dagger…

• @SlyGoat:

That awkward moment when you have to tell someone they can use the broad dagger to unlock the thrusting dagger…

:|

At least I now know I can kill someone with a plastic knife.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

@SlyGoat:

That awkward moment when you have to tell someone they can use the broad dagger to unlock the thrusting dagger…

:|

At least I now know I can kill someone with a plastic knife.

And that lesson is priceless…

• And as dinky as they are they can still block a big old zweihander swung by a dude eight times the archer’s size. Count your blessings.

• man at arms
    enemy archer and knight
    grinding for thrusting dagger
    whack knight a bit with hatchet
    hunting knife
    overhead overhead overhead
    knight not dead
    knight backs off to regenerate
    archer keeping tension up with bow but not firing
    stand off with knight
    archer still trying to aim at me
    attempt to close in before archer shoots
    knight parries and goes on offensive
    parry parry parry
    archer pulls out shortsword and comes in
    sandwiched next to wall
    head lopped off
    3 minute long battle
    mfw

• I found the hunting knife to have insane damage. Three swipes to take down an archer and MAA.

• There’s a bunch of players who are becoming very skilled in melee as archers. Moving quickly and slashing effectively.
    I put forward for the record that a lot of percieved game balance issues can be solved by more practise.
    Not trying to be rude, and definitely wouldn’t resort to any noob comments, but I’m seeing a great variety of smart and skilled players having success with all weapon types.
    Plus, archers are even more effective in Chivalry than in WotR, and scamper away very quickly. They’re already a constant terror to melee troops, and there’s no need to make them any more effective.

• @ChivFan:

There’s a bunch of players who are becoming very skilled in melee as archers. Moving quickly and slashing effectively.
    I put forward for the record that a lot of percieved game balance issues can be solved by more practise.
    Not trying to be rude, and definitely wouldn’t resort to any noob comments, but I’m seeing a great variety of smart and skilled players having success with all weapon types.
    Plus, archers are even more effective in Chivalry than in WotR, and scamper away very quickly. They’re already a constant terror to melee troops, and there’s no need to make them any more effective.

I’m doing great as archer at both ranged and melee now, but I’ve found that it’s extremely difficult to land the swing with that weapon, where the timing and cursor accuracy is perfect.

• I found the Hunting knife to work better for me than the broad dagger.

The hunting knife was a blast to level, 2 slashes to an archer and he’s dead.

I used it as a MAA to have a shield available, also I used hit and run tactics to sprint in, swipe and sprint around them while swiping.

• @ChivFan:

There’s a bunch of players who are becoming very skilled in melee as archers. Moving quickly and slashing effectively.

Agreed, and that’s why I’m loathe to mention any balance suggestions or changes in general until I’ve had a lot of time with the game.

But with the hunting knife, I’ve been playing with it a LOT, both as archer and man-at-arms. And I feel that the range value is too small for either the engine or the size of the models in the game. It just doesn’t make sense. For example it’s next to impossible to hit an opponent running away from you when you have caught up to them and are right against their back. And you can’t even reliably hit your opponent when you are right next to them. The knife misses way too often.

I realize it has a short blade, but these people DO have arms, do they not? The fact that you cannot always hit someone you’re already touching is pretty silly.

• iv been killed , as a knight by this dagger quite a lot during duels

• In a duel one should be careful enough by focusing your mind so that in the event an opponent is hitting at you, then you are already prepare by defending yourself in order not get hurt.