Swords

• So I am gathering, after a bit with the game, that different swords should be used differently. While that is an obvious statement, what I mean to be more exact is that certain swords just seem to be better at thrusting and others slashing -and yes, I am comparing 1h weapons to other 1h weapons.

Is this indeed the case or am I just nuts?

• Definately, the Norse Sword excels using stabs not only because of how fast it is but also it does more damage than any of its other attacks. If you’re using a Falchion then you are better off using slash or overhead. The first 1h sword unlock (can’t remember name, broadsword?) does decent damage with both stabs and slashes.

It also depends on your playstyle and what feels comfortable.

• To be fair i’ve found every sword to be inferior to the maces.

• @ohgood:

To be fair i’ve found every sword to be inferior to the maces.

Maces have much shorter reach.

• You gotta find your right combination. Each weapon plays differently. Just because a dagger is a secondary weapon doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its place on the battlefield. Wielded properly anything is deadly, even your fists. You must master the art of war.

• @acrh2:

@ohgood:

You don’t need reach when you have the bonus damage from maces, you’ll win every trade and can interrupt their wind up with no problem.

Swords are definitely inferior to maces/spears/halberd. There is no reason to use swords in this game currently.

• Swords do more damage to archers and MAA.

Sword stabs do extra damage against Heavies.

Swords are faster.

Swords have more reach.

• @SOC:

@acrh2:

@ohgood:

You don’t need reach when you have the bonus damage from maces, you’ll win every trade and can interrupt their wind up with no problem.

Swords are definitely inferior to maces/spears/halberd. There is no reason to use swords in this game currently.

Reach is not important?
    Are you stupid or something?

• @Sir:

Swords do more damage to archers and MAA.

Sword stabs do extra damage against Heavies.

Swords are faster.

Swords have more reach.

You can kill MAA and archers in pretty much the same amount of hits as most swords with most blunt weapons, plus you’re not gimped against vanguards and knights.

Sword stabs isn’t worth sacrificing a blunt weapon for.

Speed isn’t necessary when you have blunt weapons.

Reach isn’t important if you aren’t bad.

@acrh2:

Reach is not important?
    Are you stupid or something?

Rank 33, I do just as well with short range weapons as long range. Using flang mace is way better than using a halberd.

• Norse Sword is one of the best weapons in the game right now, SOC.

• @SlyGoat:

Norse Sword is one of the best weapons in the game right now, SOC.

Quoted for troof. Norse sword is LETHALLLLL

• @SlyGoat:

I beat Norse sword with flanged mace (and many other weapons) np consistently against opponents of all ranks and clans.

• @SOC:

@SlyGoat:

I beat Norse sword with flanged mace (and many other weapons) np consistently against opponents of all ranks and clans.

You must be really good then. Or using MaA weapons on a Knight.

• Broadsword
    End 8-)

• @SlyGoat:

@SOC:

@SlyGoat:

You must be really good then. Or using MaA weapons on a Knight.

I don’t think I’m amazingly good, but I’m definitely not bad. Yes, using MaA on a Knight is the point I’m making: don’t bother using swords when you can just use blunt weapons. Or really, the war hammer and even maul is more than good enough. Vanguards should be using the Halberd or spears, since the only sword that can compete with them is the Zweihander, which will cause you to lose fights where the opponent has speed advantage (like Norse sword MaA).

• @SOC:

Rank 33, I do just as well with short range weapons as long range. Using flang mace is way better than using a halberd.

So, you aren’t something. Grats.

• I think it is all about play style when picking any weapon, sword or otherwise.

My opinion is that everyone wants to do as much damage as possible, but as the most damaging weapons are slow and/or short range, you have to consider your own limits in timing, footwork, twitch speed, and dueling tactics.

-There better footwork and timing you have, you can manage a slower, shorter weapon.

-The better you are at parrying, the more you can manage to get inside with a shorter weapons.

-If you are good at feints, you can manage a slower weapon.

-If you use a shield, your weapon speed suffers and should should account for this.

-The faster your reaction time, the slower the weapon you can manage.

-The better you are overall at dueling tactics (mixing up kicking, ducking, feinting,etc), the slower and shorter weapon you can manage.

Of course, the better your opponent’s dueling skill, the less you can manage a slow and short weapon. Similarly, the faster and longer the average opponent’s weapon is, the same is true.