Friendly Fire

• I’m sure this has probably been addressed before, but I dug back through a few pages and couldn’t find anything on the subject, so I figured I’d throw in my two cents.

As anyone who’s played on a public server with less experienced players knows well, there are a lot of players who are simply spamming LMB with greatsword/polearms/any weapon, really, in an effort to get quick kills… even though they’re surrounded by their teammates. As the penalties for team-killing and certainly team-damaging aren’t really significant, they don’t seem to listen whenever they’re cautioned against side-swinging so much.

I think the solution to this is pretty simple, really: make the damage they’re currently inflicting on their teammates reflect back to them. No one wants to kill themselves (well, not many folks on this game at least) and I think the best deterrent for this type of behavior is for their recklessness to inflict a stiff penalty back onto them… immediately, and not in the form of a points loss. Most players don’t seem to care if they lose 10 points for a teamkill, anyway. Really, this would do a lot for improving the broad player skill across the community by encouraging them to learn the mechanics of overhand swings and thrusts… because if they’re not really losing anything by LMB spamming, taking all of their teammates down to 50% and killing one or two of them, they’re most likely just going to continue along with it.

Personally, I’d much rather hurt myself by accidentally hitting a teammate than hurt them. Sure, it’s not a solution that caters to realism, but this game is about gameplay over realism anyway, isn’t it?

• Well… :? Reflect damage, remove damage to team mates…Hmm

To be honest! It sucks to get team killed. I get killed so often by arrow or crossbow from friendly fire (arrow/bolt speed to slow). Or get killed by sword wielding teammates :? Or take so much damage from team mates :x that two seconds later, you get snufed by enemy :|

But all in all! i think it´s fine as it is now.
    The problem is noob team mates that dont use thrust or overhead hack with weapons when you gang up on enemy. Spamming LMB kills both enemy and your friends (noob skill´s kill).

But what i hate most :( is team mates that start hacking and chopping on you on purpose :x Servers need a vote option for getting people booted out of server :P Actually! Maybe after 2 or 3 teamkills. There should be a pop-up forgive or kick from server. That´s three chances allready ;)

• There is a vote option already, Exiled. Open the console (~ or scroll lock) and type votekick X where X is part of their name - if their name is all foreign characters or something, just type votekick and a list will come up asking you to confirm by typing a number next to the listed name.

• @Exiled:

Well… :? Reflect damage, remove damage to team mates…Hmm

To be honest! It sucks to get team killed. I get killed so often by arrow or crossbow from friendly fire (arrow/bolt speed to slow). Or get killed by sword wielding teammates :? Or take so much damage from team mates :x that two seconds later, you get snufed by enemy :|

The problem is noob team mates that dont use thrust or overhead hack with weapons when you gang up on enemy. Spamming LMB kills both enemy and your friends (noob skill´s kill).

But what i hate most :( is team mates that start hacking and chopping on you on purpose :x Servers need a vote option for getting people booted out of server :P Actually! Maybe after 2 or 3 teamkills. There should be a pop-up forgive or kick from server. That´s three chances allready ;)

I just think the only way to get these people to stop spam hitting their teammates is to make the damage reflect back to them. Let’s face it, not everyone who plays competitive multiplayer games is a team player… the only real way to get them to stop this sort of thing is to have some sort of immediate penalty for the folks hitting teammates in the first place.

I just want to encourage them to get better and use other swings. I think this is the best way to go about doing it with folks who are hostile to, you know, taking suggestions.

• @Exiled:

Well… :? Reflect damage, remove damage to team mates…Hmm

I just think the only way to get these people to stop spam hitting their teammates is to make the damage reflect back to them. Let’s face it, not everyone who plays competitive multiplayer games is a team player… the only real way to get them to stop this sort of thing is to have some sort of immediate penalty for the folks hitting teammates in the first place.

I just want to encourage them to get better and use other swings. I think this is the best way to go about doing it with folks who are hostile to, you know, taking suggestions.

• Whether or not damage reflection replaces the current system something has to be done. As of right now there is not really any penalty for going in and swinging like a madman besides pissing off a few of your teammates and taking a small hit to score (big deal). Sure there is votekick but i have trouble vote kicking people unless they are actually KILLING their teammates, not just injuring them consistently. It’s rather frustrating taking arrows to the back of your head while you are engaged in a melee battle :(

• @SlyGoat:

There is a vote option already, Exiled. Open the console (~ or scroll lock) and type votekick X where X is part of their name - if their name is all foreign characters or something, just type votekick and a list will come up asking you to confirm by typing a number next to the listed name.

Ooh :o I better check up on that one :? (havent noticed it)

• I think it is fine as it is. Sometimes it is annoying, but I hope people will learn… and to be honest, I have killed some guys in my time too ^^
    As long as people apologize for it, I don’t mind.

• @SlyGoat:

There is a vote option already, Exiled. Open the console (~ or scroll lock) and type votekick X where X is part of their name - if their name is all foreign characters or something, just type votekick and a list will come up asking you to confirm by typing a number next to the listed name.

Then im in trouble :o This ~ (copy/paste) key does not exist on Danish keyboards :( And my “Scroll lock” is not on my Zboard neither :( Ill be fuq´d :|

Maybe i should post in support, if they can make console key changeble in key bindings??? :?

• @Exiled:

@SlyGoat:

Then im in trouble :o This ~ (copy/paste) key does not exist on Danish keyboards :( And my “Scroll lock” is not on my Zboard neither :( Ill be fuq´d :|

Maybe i should post in support, if they can make console key changeble in key bindings??? :?

Try every key on your keyboard. I haven’t heard of a layout yet that doesn’t have a console key. I’ve heard complaints about ’ key being the console for some people, which causes it to come up when they’re typing a lot.

• @Hearst:

I’m sure this has probably been addressed before, but I dug back through a few pages and couldn’t find anything on the subject, so I figured I’d throw in my two cents.

As anyone who’s played on a public server with less experienced players knows well, there are a lot of players who are simply spamming LMB with greatsword/polearms/any weapon, really, in an effort to get quick kills… even though they’re surrounded by their teammates. As the penalties for team-killing and certainly team-damaging aren’t really significant, they don’t seem to listen whenever they’re cautioned against side-swinging so much.

I think the solution to this is pretty simple, really: make the damage they’re currently inflicting on their teammates reflect back to them. No one wants to kill themselves (well, not many folks on this game at least) and I think the best deterrent for this type of behavior is for their recklessness to inflict a stiff penalty back onto them… immediately, and not in the form of a points loss. Most players don’t seem to care if they lose 10 points for a teamkill, anyway. Really, this would do a lot for improving the broad player skill across the community by encouraging them to learn the mechanics of overhand swings and thrusts… because if they’re not really losing anything by LMB spamming, taking all of their teammates down to 50% and killing one or two of them, they’re most likely just going to continue along with it.

Personally, I’d much rather hurt myself by accidentally hitting a teammate than hurt them. Sure, it’s not a solution that caters to realism, but this game is about gameplay over realism anyway, isn’t it?

I AGREE :P

• First of all, hello, Hearst! This is WARPIGS_Patoson/Faarn from cRPG. :)

Second, I agree that the amount of teamhits is ridiculous, and I think that your suggestion is a good solution, although a system that kicked you after you delivered a certain amount of “friendly fire” could be nice instead.

• Just remove it, then people would run in front of you on purpose to kill you. I’m sick of idiots who come up and try to help me and get TK’ed by me. I’m not going to compensate for your interfering with my fight. I’m also sick of archers who can’t get a clear shot but stupidly take it anyway.

• i cant agree on that one … as much that it frustrate me to get killed by my own teammate …i cant really say why but miror dmgs doesnt sound like a good ideal to me … i would prefer something like after 2-3 teamkills or a certain amount of team dmgs it automaticly initiate a votekick against the person in question

• @batman666:

i cant agree on that one … as much that it frustrate me to get killed by my own teammate …i cant really say why but miror dmgs doesnt sound like a good ideal to me … i would prefer something like after 2-3 teamkills or a certain amount of team dmgs it automaticly initiate a votekick against the person in question

That system sounds brilliant. If that form of autovotekick was put in it should also require a smaller number of “yes” votes and it should be listed as an auto-initiated-votekick so players who aren’t the TKed ones or aren’t watching the death ticker know that it isn’t just a petty squabble.

No matter what, though, there MUST be some deterrent from TKing and friendly fire in general. Some people are just hoping that other players learn and stop but right now their is no motivation to do it. Those players are still getting their kills and besides that they don’t care.

• @batman666:

i cant agree on that one … as much that it frustrate me to get killed by my own teammate …i cant really say why but miror dmgs doesnt sound like a good ideal to me … i would prefer something like after 2-3 teamkills or a certain amount of team dmgs it automaticly initiate a votekick against the person in question

While in principle this seems sound. There are many occasions where this could fall down. I had a game yesterday where I committed three team kills. The first one was entirely my fault, I had a lapse in concentration, which resulted in me hitting a fellow team mate. It could have easily been avoided. The other two however were not so straight forward at least from my point of view.

If we freeze each one at the moment I wind my attack up, my opponent is in front of me close range I have just parried there attack. But as my attack swing initiates a team mate for what ever reason suddenly moves between me and my target I have no time to avoid this. The result is a team kill. How this looked from there perspective I cannot say but for me there both appeared, suddenly, form off-screen, leaving me with only a fraction of a second to try and react to prevent hitting them. If I were to have had a votekick against me for these events I would consider it unfair in the extreme.

They probably thought I was to blame, where as I could clearly blame them. You could also put it down the chaos of a battlefield. I think friendly fire to some degree is unavoidable, it is the nature of the beast in a game like this. And in the end authentic to a medieval battlefield.

• I find that the problem with Friendly Fire in this game is that it’s hard to notice you dun goofed because the UI is to inconspicious. Most people who, presumably, do accidentally kill others in the heat of battle do it because they are new at the game (like me). We don’t necessarily notice we’re killing others.

There is no need for a punishment system for FrFi, there is a need for information. If you show players in some way that they’ve just killed a team-mate, it would, I believe, really help.

Torn Banner isn’t going to do any voice-acting after the release, I bet, but a nice one would have been different variations of “Why have you betrayed meeeeee…?”

Also, a pitched battle tutorial. All the tutorials are 1v1, or 1vE. An arena where you’re fighting 2v1 together with a bot, where you have to avoid hitting the allied bot should work.

• NO !!!

Colateral damage is part of the medieval warfare!
    A dumb ass who team kill too much will be kick out!

MASON !!!

• @Naeddyr:

Also, a pitched battle tutorial. All the tutorials are 1v1, or 1vE. An arena where you’re fighting 2v1 together with a bot, where you have to avoid hitting the allied bot should work.

I really like this idea. Make the bot really terrible and obnoxious, too, constantly dodging in front of you to miss attacks - just like the real players I TK :P

• I think FF is part of this game. Team kills are unavoidable and part of the game. Happens to even skilled players. Just don’t use swings in a crowded situation to minimize team kills. Maybe some point punishment for TKs but no reflective damage! No no no no no. That’s a very stupid idea. If a person is recklessly side swinging all the time and causing a lot of TK, there’s votekick.