Blocking with Javelin

• Hey Devs,

You should be able to block with your shield while ‘reloading’ with Javelins. With how it is now, you are open for way to long after an attack with now way to defend yourself.

• I totally agree here. The javelin is really silly as is.

• So you want to be able to freely toss javelins without really exposing yourself? This seems silly. I think the reload time before you can block again is pretty long unless you are abusing weapon switch but to be able to instantly block after releasing a javelin would be ridiculous.

• Heres an idea - after you throw a javelin you need to press 1 to take out another jav, or 2 to pull out your sidearm. That seems pretty reasonable.

• @hammerhands:

So you want to be able to freely toss javelins without really exposing yourself? This seems silly. I think the reload time before you can block again is pretty long unless you are abusing weapon switch but to be able to instantly block after releasing a javelin would be ridiculous.

I don’t think there’s a debate about whether or not there should be a delay to block after throwing the javelin. I think the current delay is just really long.

Currently you start with both the javelin and the shield up. Once you throw the javelin you only have the shield. It should be that using that shield you have out should be faster than reloading a new javelin, but it seems like the delay for your shield is the same as reloading and readying your new javelin.

@Heinrich:

Heres an idea - after you throw a javelin you need to press 1 to take out another jav, or 2 to pull out your sidearm. That seems pretty reasonable.

I like this idea because it acknowledges the physical difference between your shield already being out and you having to pull out a second javelin. Tbh I have no idea where the javelins come from, but this makes total sense to me.

• @Heinrich:

Heres an idea - after you throw a javelin you need to press 1 to take out another jav, or 2 to pull out your sidearm. That seems pretty reasonable.

Vouch. Fixes 1.5 problems with one stone.

• @Heinrich:

This…… makes perfect sense to me.

• Anothergod, you hit the nail on the head. I was unclear in my original post, but my intention was not for there to be no delay but rather a shorter one.

The alternative suggested by Heinrich would work as well. Either a decrease in the delay, or being able to block but not having access to a weapon until you draw a new one would please me greatly. I really enjoy acting as a skirmisher, and will continue playing as one regardless, but as of right now, I feel this issue is a bigger handicap than it should be.

Edited: Grammar and Spelling corrections

• @Crookedleg:

Anothergod, you hit the nail on the head. I was unclear in my orginal post, but my intentuon was nit for there to be no delay but rather a shorter one.

The alternative suggested by Heinrich would work as well. Either a decrease in the delay, or being able to block but not having access to a weapon until you draw a new one would please me greatly. I really enjoy acting as a skrimmisher, and will continue playing as one regardless, but as of right now, I feel thia issue is a bigger handicap than it should be.

The highlighted part is the answer!
    Great ideia!

• @Heinrich:

Finally someone proposes something about javelins which makes sense.

• I’m sorry SlyGoat, but what doesn’t make sense about decreasing the block delay?

• @Crookedleg:

Anothergod, you hit the nail on the head. I was unclear in my original post, but my intention was not for there to be no delay but rather a shorter one.

The alternative suggested by Heinrich would work as well. Either a decrease in the delay, or being able to block but not having access to a weapon until you draw a new one would please me greatly. I really enjoy acting as a skirmisher, and will continue playing as one regardless, but as of right now, I feel this issue is a bigger handicap than it should be.

Edited: Grammar and Spelling corrections

This is exactly what I had in mind as well. I love this idea and feel it would give more kids reason to play with the Javelin. Otherwise it just feels much too vulnerable… oh and not to mention I don’t get a “Javelin upgrade kill” for nailing my target with a ranged shot… only melee. What’s that all about.

• @Crookedleg:

I’m sorry SlyGoat, but what doesn’t make sense about decreasing the block delay?

The ability to block while reloading would remove the vulnerability period after throwing a javelin. You would be all but guaranteed to win a fight against anyone not using a shield - even if you miss your first javelin you can just block until you draw a new one, then wait for another opportunity to throw.

• True enough Slygoat, but do you think it would still be an issue if the delay was shortened, opposed to eliminated? I’ve heard that it bandied about that right now there is about a 3 second delay, and that a weapon switch takes about a 0.7 seconds. Assuming these times are accurate, do you think it would still be an issue if the delay before you could block would be shortened to say 1.5-2 seconds? So still longer then the time it takes to switch to the secondary and back, but shorter then the current duration?

Edited: As mentioned in the other thread related to this matter, if the current delay is in fact bugged, and is taking to long, then this discussion is moot, but lets just assume that it isn’t bugged til we have confirmation.

• 7:20 PM - SlyGoat: tibbers, is the super long jav reload intended?
    7:25 PM - Tibberius Bane: no

So, there we go.

• @SlyGoat:

@Crookedleg:

I’m sorry SlyGoat, but what doesn’t make sense about decreasing the block delay?

The ability to block while reloading would remove the vulnerability period after throwing a javelin. You would be all but guaranteed to win a fight against anyone not using a shield - even if you miss your first javelin you can just block until you draw a new one, then wait for another opportunity to throw.

There’s two things wrong with that. That shield isn’t an automatic win state and neither is having your javelin out. If you can’t go on the offensive vs. that shield you have some problems. And if you can’t out damage/play a javelin poker you have even bigger problems.

We’re talking about HOW MUCH of a disadvantage the javelin player should be at after a throw. OHKO vs. 1 enemy is a win, obviously. If you miss and hit the body, you should be evenly matched with the ability to defend against something which you can’t do at the moment. In the case of two attackers coming down on you, OHKO vs. 1 enemy and being able to at least block the other is ideal. Right now you can’t body hit and be even, and you definitely are going to lose a 2 on 1. Make the block come up faster and your offense isn’t going to be much better, it’s just that your defense can hope to come back.

• @anothergod:

There’s two things wrong with that. That shield isn’t an automatic win state and neither is having your javelin out. If you can’t go on the offensive vs. that shield you have some problems. And if you can’t out damage/play a javelin poker you have even bigger problems.

We’re talking about HOW MUCH of a disadvantage the javelin player should be at after a throw. OHKO vs. 1 enemy is a win, obviously. If you miss and hit the body, you should be evenly matched with the ability to defend against something which you can’t do at the moment. In the case of two attackers coming down on you, OHKO vs. 1 enemy and being able to at least block the other is ideal. Right now you can’t body hit and be even, and you definitely are going to lose a 2 on 1. Make the block come up faster and your offense isn’t going to be much better, it’s just that your defense can hope to come back.

Here’s the thing, though - javelins are meant to be used as melee weapons as well as ranged weapons. The primary strategy of javelins should not be “shotgun enemy at close range then block until you can shotgun again”. You’re ignoring the melee entirely other than finishing off enemies with a quick poke after shotgunning them in the chest. You can make a melee attack and then block just fine if the enemy is already in melee range of you; and as mentioned already, the super slow reload is not intended, so you’ll be able to use your javs to skirmish without exploiting a bug next patch, but will still be punished for risking a close range shotgun and missing.

• @SlyGoat:

7:20 PM - SlyGoat: tibbers, is the super long jav reload intended?
    7:25 PM - Tibberius Bane: no

So, there we go.

Thanks for checking on this SlyGoat. It’s nice to have a definitive answer on the subject.