How to: Linux Dedicated server (WINE)

• @SHOT(by)GUN:

Make startserver.bat to chivalryserver folder with:
    Binaries/Win32/UDK.exe AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778 -maxplayers=24

wine cmd
    find your batfile and start it

Can you explain this part? New to Ubuntu and have no idea what to do at this point.

• Having a strange problem after using this guide: the server is seemingly running, but I can never connect to it.

Here are the outputs of freshly starting the server: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=i843tURx Nothing there really indicates …well, much of anything. But, the OP did say there would be some gibberish.

At this point, I can see the server in the server list! So I try to connect, and never can. Here’s what the server has to say about that: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZZvCrMpZ As long as I allow Chivalry to continue attempting to connect, the server will continue to sporadically barf those messages.

I don’t really understand those messages, and unfortunately I’ve yet to find anything specifically helpful on Google either. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

• Ah man I hoped for a native Linux dedicated server.

Game servers should run on bare metal Linux boxes not on a virtual machine and most certainly not with Wine which is even worse than Windows.

• Alright I’ve managed to get the bat to run with WINE and am up to this point
    "
    Z:\root\chivalryserver>Binaries/Win32/UDK.exe AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778 -maxplayers=24
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"UDK-PID59"): stub
    fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
    fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 219640
    fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x163be0, L"Z:\root\chivalryserver\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe", 0x18d73e0)
    "
    Can’t tell what’s happening at this point. Any ideas?

• @caramelsauce:

Alright I’ve managed to get the bat to run with WINE and am up to this point
    "
    Z:\root\chivalryserver>Binaries/Win32/UDK.exe AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778 -maxplayers=24
    fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x163be0, L"Z:\root\chivalryserver\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe", 0x18d73e0)
    "

Same issue here. CentOS 6.3 64 Bit.

• (Sorry for double post)

I’ve discovered that the above “Gibberish” means that the server is going. This method of hosting does not seem to give the server a spot on the main server list (or so it appears).

To join your server:

press ~
    open 

BTW, CentOS 6.3 64-bit. Working great. My install steps:

wget [url]http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm[/url]
    wget [url]http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-6.rpm[/url]
    rpm -Uvh remi-release-6*.rpm epel-release-6*.rpm
    yum install wine.x86_64
    yum install libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc.i686 glibc.i686 ncompress libstdc++.so.6 ia32-libs libnss-mdns -y
    wget [url]http://blog.counter-strike.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/steamcmd.tar.gz[/url]
    tar xvfz steamcmd.tar.gz
    STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh
    # At Steam>
    force_install_dir /root/server/
    login <your steam="" cmd="" login=""> <your steam="" cmd="" password="">
    app_update 220070 validate
    exit
    # back in terminal
    echo "IBinaries/Win32/UDK.exe AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778 -maxplayers=24" > /root/server/startserver.bat
    cd /root/server/Binaries/Win32
    wget [url]http://kaahane.viuhka.fi/data/X3DAudio1_7.dll[/url]
    cd /root/server/
    wine cmd
    startserver.bat</your></your>

• @Mautobu:

BTW, CentOS 6.3 64-bit. Working great. My install steps:

Computer specs and CPU %usage when 0 players and 1 player? :)

• E8400 8 GB RAM on Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 (stand alone free version).
    VM has 512MB RAM, full usage of proc.

0 Player -> 17% CPU | 31% RAM
    1 Player -> 25% CPU | 33%

CPU/RAM %'s for FULL system. Includes wine, UDK.exe, etc.

On another note…

Has anyone figured out how to get this onto the main server list? And what files should I look at to configure the name, password, etc, etc?

Edit:
    I’m a derp and I found the config files: [SERVER DIRECTORY]/UDKGame/Config/PCServer-*.ini

• I updated the guide!

And I have to note here that I have reported CPU usages wrongly….

Windows systems report the CPU usage per ALL CORES. But linux usually reports the CPU usage percentage by ONE CORE. So the CPU usage seems to be much higher than in Windows systems initially if you compare it straight windows task manager to htop

So the CPU usage is about same than in windows but the wineserver makes static 5% overhead for cpu usage.

I can run 6 5-slot Chivalry servers on E8500 processor @ 2.8GHz (underclocked) with approx 80% CPU usage on both cores.

• @Mautobu:

@caramelsauce:

Alright I’ve managed to get the bat to run with WINE and am up to this point
    "
    "

Same issue here. CentOS 6.3 64 Bit.

That seems to be normal operation… Congratulations your server should be RUNNING!

Below you see my normal start up text:

fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"UDK-PID79"): stub
    fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x15f660, L"Z:\media\wd2500\servut\chivalry\srv1\chivalryserver\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe", 0x18d73e0)

After the start up… the server will output some messages when there are players what are normal WINE messages.

fixme:winsock:WS_setsockopt IP_DONTFRAGMENT is silently ignored!
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised

• Any luck on getting a server on the main list yet? I also attempted to change my server’s name, but it failed. Its name is an IP that is not anywhere in my network :/

• @Mautobu:

Any luck on getting a server on the main list yet? I also attempted to change my server’s name, but it failed. Its name is an IP that is not anywhere in my network :/

Yeah you can see my linux servers on server list by names MedievalTV.com 1v1 Arena #1 etc…

Maybe your port is already in use? Try changing the port from the start up bat file or the script…

Or check if your port is already in use…

netstat -l

• Ports forwarded, server named, nothing else is using the ports :/

Perhaps I need to point my batch file to the config file? (I assume UDKGame/Config/PCServer-UDKGame.ini)

• Shameless self-bump.

• I keep getting this:

./steam.sh: line 56: /home/<serverusername>/linux32/steamcmd: No such file or directory

I edited the file to add “cmd” like they say to at
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

But it’s still saying the same thing.

Sorry. Server newbie here. Was only using this thing for project SVN.</serverusername>

• Okay, fixed that part. Just had to do the apt-get update and then install the ia32libs

However, now it’s telling me Login Failure: Invalid Password Failed. But I just signed up for a developer account, and I can log in on the website. Why wont it let me log in on my server?

• Okay, I’m stupid. nm last post.

• Okay, so I’ve done everything as per OP.

How do I find my server? How do I name my server?

Also, in htop, I can see chivalry something or other running, but I don’t see “UDK.exe …” under command anywhere in the list. So I’m guessing the server hasn’t started? Nothing’s using CPU, so that can’t be right.

• Figured out the .ini files. But now I’m definitely stuck and have no idea where to go. Giving up for the evening. But here’s what I’m getting.

I’ll start up the screen, and it says that it’s (Detached) whatever that means.

But when I shut down the server with screen -r chivalry, it gives me this:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
    err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
    fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((nul),L"UDK-PID8"): stub
    Setting breakpas minidump AppID = 219640 
    fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x15feb0, L"Z:\\home\\ajf412\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDK.exe", 0x18d73e0)
    ^C
    fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
    fixme:msvcr90:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1000834c) stub
    fixme:msvcr90:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3da464) stub
    fixme:msvcr90:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x24601c) stub

• My errors:

It appears that libnss-mdns is installed on your system,
    but lib32nss-mdns is not. Please note that Wine will not be
    able to access the Internet unless you either install
    lib32nss-mdns (or ia32-libnss-mdns), or uninstall libnss-mdns.
    (okay)
    err:module:import_dll Library XINPUT1_3.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDKGame.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDKGame.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library XAPOFX1_5.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDKGame.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR100.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libogg.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library libogg.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libvorbisfile.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR100.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libogg.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library libogg.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libvorbis.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR100.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libvorbis.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library libvorbis.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libvorbisfile.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR100.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\libvorbisfile.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library libvorbisfile.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDKGame.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR100.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDKGame.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\root\\chivalryserver\\Binaries\\Win32\\UDKGame.exe" failed, status c0000135

Not found the redist files…. You have ideas to fix it? Thank You!!