All Servers Crashing

• I’ve tried to get help in other threads with similar issues but they seem dead now and in case this is a different issue I’m opening a new thread. All of my servers keep crashing throughout the day, sometimes they’re fine most of the day other times only an hour or so. I have also noticed that they sometimes seem to load maps other than what I’ve set. I read a thread stating TD maps were bugged and can cause server crashes which leads me to think maybe the server is loading a TD map when we’re not watching it and subsequently crashing. Even though I have logging enabled the logs file are often cut off and incomplete and there are rarely any .dmp files.

I just discovered that one of the servers actually had two different maplists specified in the PCServer-UDKGame.ini and resolved that issue but I haven’t seen it in any other configs. While verifying the contents of the config file I noticed mine have a setting for “maplistindex=0” that doesn’t exist in the new config. Since the dev team removed it I am going through and removing it on our servers as well. Could this be causing any issues or was it unused? I have crawled our config line by line comparing it to a new config and that setting is the only one I can see that’s different from our old config.

I have included my command line and config file. I really don’t understand why all of our servers continue to give us trouble and I would appreciate any assistance.

command (I know the -maxplayers= is wrong, I just haven’t fixed it yet):

AOCFFA-ThroneRoomXL_P?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=xx.xx.xx.xx -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015 -maxplayers=32

• Ok, I found two servers with multiple maplists in same config and fixed them. All servers had the “maplistindex” setting and it has been removed from all of them. I noticed that the PCServer-GameEngine.ini had been updated so I replaced all of those updating the ports as needed. Then I made sure the command line was up-to-date for all servers and that logging was enabled for all. We’ll see how it goes.

• This is still ongoing. I’ve updated everything, verified the contents of the two config files, and made sure there are no TD maps loading. One of our servers has crashed about 11 times in 3 days with no issues at all on the second day. Any help would be appreciated as this is getting to be a very annoying and serious issue. I will try to cut the log files down and post them in a bit as some of them are quite large (20+ MB).

• Surely we aren’t the only people still having trouble. New or re-installed servers display the same behavior. Sometimes they will operate for long periods of time (about a day or so) with no issue while other times they will crash every 10 minutes or so. We also have issues with “ghost” players and incorrect scoreboard readings. When they crash they seem to do so in a way that logging stops and no .dmp files are generated.

I included the first 3 log files for the 26th for one of our servers (there’s also a 3 upload limit). When the file exceeded the 1MB upload limit I cropped it down to the last 100 or so lines. I really hope one of the dev team looks at this and can help, we have to constantly monitor the servers and restart them multiple times throughout the day.

• I can confirm that my server is having the same issue. Frequently (at least once or twice a day) the server will “freeze”, and require me to stop the server and then start it again. I also read the post about TDM being the cause of this, so I removed it from the maplist in DefaultGame.ini and PCServer-UDKGame.ini

It appears that I am still having this issue though. The server doesn’t really “crash”, because otherwise my server host would simply restart it, it freezes up and requires me to manually restart it. This, obviously, is an issue because I can’t be monitoring the server at all times.

• the answer is here: dont run a server!

• @NORDAViND:

the answer is here: dont run a server!

But then nobody can play

• I’ve experienced similar problems with my server, along with the problem of the game reporting incorrect slot numbers to the server. I have about 2-3 server crashes a day, plus an interesting one just now where everyone in my server was kicked one by one until there was nobody left.

I spoke with Multiplay support and apparently most of these issues are on the Chivalry end. Hopefully these server issues will be fixed in a future patch.

• Thanks for the helpful comment NORDA, much appreciated!

I was watching the servers again and they were stable all day until 16:00 EST when all 12 simultaneously crashed within about 2 minutes of each other. I restarted them all and immediately started looking at logs and as usual they’re not very helpful. The only other possibility I can think of is that when a TD server crashes it may cause network issues that crash the other non-TD servers or something similar. Before we only had TD maps removed from certain servers, I have now removed TD maps from all servers (including clients) to see if it improves stability. I don’t understand how this could even be the problem but I’m running out of ideas.

• @AtraxMorgue:

I’ve experienced similar problems with my server, along with the problem of the game reporting incorrect slot numbers to the server. I have about 2-3 server crashes a day, plus an interesting one just now where everyone in my server was kicked one by one until there was nobody left.

I spoke with Multiplay support and apparently most of these issues are on the Chivalry end. Hopefully these server issues will be fixed in a future patch.

Sorry to hear that more people are having this issue but I’m glad to see it is affecting more than one provider. That should lead to a faster resolution, I hope.

• So far removing the TD maps has made a huge difference, with only a small handful of servers showing stability issues. It looks like the TD server crashes were affecting the others as well. We’ll need more time to be sure. However, we’ve noticed that a few servers still have issues. From reading the logs my best guess is that they are hanging when restarting the map cycle or when hitting the initial map set in the command line (in this case LTS Moor). The worst part of all this is that it hangs/crashes in a way that service restart tools don’t catch it and just stays that way until an admin/owner catches it and manually restarts it.

• Are you running UDKLogging.exe? If so do you think we can get some logs for them?

• @b3h47pte:

Are you running UDKLogging.exe? If so do you think we can get some logs for them?

Yes, this problem has become so persistent that we’ve had to enable logging on every server. I’ve been posting logs but I will recheck the servers and post some more as soon as I get the chance.

• Hi

i had the same issues, however since taking out the -maxplayers in the commandlines, gtsgaming servers keep on running and havent crashed once since doing this.
    the server now holds its slots and doesnt go over 24 slots, like it used too for example 26/24.
    and doesnt crash on any of the maps etc….

regards
    GTSGaming
    Andy Williams

the server is 81.19.212.75:37039 GSTGaming.com :: Gameserver

• @gtsgaming:

Hi

i had the same issues, however since taking out the -maxplayers in the commandlines, gtsgaming servers keep on running and havent crashed once since doing this.
    the server now holds its slots and doesnt go over 24 slots, like it used too for example 26/24.
    and doesnt crash on any of the maps etc….

regards
    GTSGaming
    Andy Williams

the server is 81.19.212.75:37039 GSTGaming.com :: Gameserver

Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Wanted to say, thanks for the tip and you rock if it works.

• We actually did this something like this too. Also involved removing it from the commandline.
    Less and less crashes aswell.

• Not sure if you guys caught the message in the last patch update but I updated the documentation to make it appropriately say you have to add
    ?MaxPlayers=24 instead of -MaxPlayers=24 though it really shouldn’t make it crash either way. I’m not sure if it’s working properly and as of right now the recommended way to change max players is in the config.

• @b3h47pte:

Not sure if you guys caught the message in the last patch update but I updated the documentation to make it appropriately say you have to add
    ?MaxPlayers=24 instead of -MaxPlayers=24 though it really shouldn’t make it crash either way. I’m not sure if it’s working properly and as of right now the recommended way to change max players is in the config.

I just wanted add that our servers were updated to the ?maxplayers method and it made no difference.

So far we’ve only had one server showing stability issues now. I haven’t dug into the logs yet to see what’s crashing it but removing TD maps and ?maxplayers= from command lines seems to have solved most (if not all) of our stability issues. Since the game control panel software will alert when someone has modified the slot count this is an acceptable solution for the moment. It would be nice if the bugs are fixed so we can set the hard limits again. :D

• Is it possible that the players simply vote to change the map to TDM, thus causing a crash? My server is much more stable now that the TDM maps are removed from the map list, but I suspect the times it DOES crash are when players vote to change to a TDM map.

Which leads me to my next question: Can I disable maps from being accessed, even from a votechangemap?

• Can I disable maps from being accessed, even from a votechangemap?

This should probably be a cvar to disable voting maps not part of the map list as it would be very useful.