Replay Camera

• I know sneakier types would rather hide their killing secrets, but I find that watching replays of combat to be really good for learning how to play. “Kill Cams” are really popular in Modern Warfare, but they’re also popular in 3D fighting games to get a view of how/why you lost in a particular fight. It might also be particularly embarrassing here, which is part of the fun (for both sides!).

So the idea is a replay camera that plays between death and respawn. It would be third person watching the player and the killing enemy so the player can see what happens.

Possible problems:

1. Bad camera angles
    2. Replay occurs to quickly to see
    3. Replays will reveal sniper locations

To solve 1 and 2 the replays could be stored ala screenshots in Counter Strike.
    To solve 2 the replays could be played in slow motion. Or stored and rewatched ala solution 1.
    To solve 3 it could be a projectile cam shot (just like holding Mouse 3) or just a fade to black.

Another cool thing that you could add to this: players could have this replay camera extended for repeated deaths. It makes their downtime seem shorter because they’re watching more of why they keep dying, but it also makes them better players because they have to watch it.

One of the best parts of playing competitive games is highlighting particular moments that are great. I definitely would save my best deaths. If you guys happen to be particularly generous and ingenuitive, you could also have players save all of their kills. That might be a little harder to do because you’d have to be saving a lot of data as the match goes on, but we’ll all soon have really fast quad and six core machines…

• no one? seriously?

I’d like to amend the replay camera idea by saying that the deathcam should roll first, but the replay cam should roll after the deathcam. I mean, I seriously love seeing the spinning view of my head flying around. It’s just kind of crazy epic.

• Replay camera is good idea, I liked it in COD. but I fear that it is not very easy task for devs.

For now I would like to see 3rd person death camera - it is far easier to implement and it is far better looking.
    Current deathcam from POV making me dizzy a little. And there is nothing intresting in it to see. Only magnified land textures.

• @Alexfri:

For now I would like to see 3rd person death camera - it is far easier to implement and it is far better looking.

Agreed, I would definitely much prefer to see my death in 3rd person rather than the dizzy first person view. Way cooler.

• A Kill Cam would be perfect for a game like Chivalry.

• @AngryDave:

@Alexfri:

Agreed, I would definitely much prefer to see my death in 3rd person rather than the dizzy first person view. Way cooler.

When you know what’s going on, the beheaded THREE SIXTY THREE SIXTY first person view is hilarious. But I agree, sometimes I’d rather see my death in 3rd person.

• Bump

Replays would be awesome, so I can learn and stop sucking at this game.

• I posted this elsewhere, does Chiv implement the demorec console command that other Unreal 3 games use? I’m too lazy to check right now ;)

• @ReMixx:

I posted this elsewhere, does Chiv implement the demorec console command that other Unreal 3 games use? I’m too lazy to check right now ;)

The commands work, but it’s horribly broken.

• Yeah, that would be so much fun. Imagine the videos you could make out of this…

• You can just FRAPS your game session and commentate. I personally cant’ stand killcams. They are immersion-breaking, gamey, and reinforce k/d obsessions above team objectives (for those maps). I know it is called C:MW, but I think that sort of thing belongs specifically to games like CODblops and its ilk. It is just commercial gloss and UI bling IMO.

• @HackinTosh:

You can just FRAPS your game session and commentate. I personally cant’ stand killcams. They are immersion-breaking, gamey, and reinforce k/d obsessions above team objectives (for those maps). I know it is called C:MW, but I think that sort of thing belongs specifically to games like CODblops and its ilk. It is just commercial gloss and UI bling IMO.

Not killcam… replay camera. You can see everything that happened in the match after it’s over.

• OP specifically mentioned kill-cams, between death and respawn. Record mode would be great, as a computationally less demanding alternative to FRAPS. I’ll probably try snag-it myself, see how that goes.

• @HackinTosh:

OP specifically mentioned kill-cams, between death and respawn. Record mode would be great, as a computationally less demanding alternative to FRAPS. I’ll probably try snag-it myself, see how that goes.

I thought the thread was about replay cams. A killcam is unnecessary. I love the realistic approach they do here…