Archers v. Crossbowmen

• What do people think? Best time to use one or other? In the hands of a more skilled player, is one oftentimes better?

• Currently there is little reason to use a crossbow instead of the war bow.

• The crossbow has the advantage as it does irl of being able to sit and wait with it prepared, you can also walk around with it easily.

I think the Warbow -> longbow -> shortbow should have scaling timers for how long they can be held, shooting a warbow is a huge feat.

It should be like shortbow # then minus 1-1.5 seconds for longbow and 2-2.5 seconds for warbow, then we’ll see a bit more balance in options.

I don’t think the warbow should be toned down in power, that would cause it to lose purpose and make it unsatisfying to shoot. I know we’re not aiming for 100% realism but most crossbows IIRC didn’t have a draw weight higher than 150 (unless they were more balista sized) so I think the warbow and siege crossbow should have similar damage. My only idea would be to make the bow harder to shoot, less draw time would emphasize the crossbow’s infinite hold, movespeed while holding should be less for the warbow and more for the crossbow, and I feel like the trajectory should be different although I’m not sure how.

my two cents.

• @SlyGoat:

Currently there is little reason to use a crossbow instead of the war bow.

Seconded.
    Those crossbows need to be buffed a little - perhaps give them more damage so that they are always one hit - one kill, on the torso/head.

• In Aoc, crossbow reloaded fast, you didnt need to look down, projectile flew faster and it one shotted many people. And nobody complained. Most people didnt even use it in fact.

• @acrh2:

@SlyGoat:

Currently there is little reason to use a crossbow instead of the war bow.

Seconded.
    Those crossbows need to be buffed a little - perhaps give them more damage so that they are always one hit - one kill, on the torso/head.

Yes, let’s buff the most annoying class in the game :)
    u know what. alright, buff them. but limit their numbers. 1-2 archers for every team, and not in LTS mode.

• There is a very good reason to use crossbows over bows sometimes. The heavy crossbow insta-kills archers and men at arms, and if the other team has a lot of archers, the crossbow becomes the best tool to even the balance.

The warbow needs 2 hits to kill archers and men at arms, though.

• How is the crossbowman annoying?

• @Spaz:

There is a very good reason to use crossbows over bows sometimes. The heavy crossbow insta-kills archers and men at arms, and if the other team has a lot of archers, the crossbow becomes the best tool to even the balance.

The warbow needs 2 hits to kill archers and men at arms, though.

Broadhead arrows kill archers in one shot (from a warbow) but you need one additional arrow for knights, if you don’t score a headshot.

I think crossbows are not bad, but I prefer bows. It’s quite useful for the team, because one hit from a crossbow leaves most targets at very low health (if they survive^^).

• @Sultanofswing:

How is the crossbowman annoying?

I was talking about archers in general. they just seem unrelated to the game, especially in LTS. i understand they can be useful in TO when u need to take or hold ground. but in the other modes it just seems…unsporty. so yeah, i can take a shield and start zig-zaging. but that’s just frustrating and make the game less fun to play.

• They seem unrelated obviously because they are (in exaggeration) fucking useless.
    Yeah, it is frustrating because running past the melee classes defending the archers is really hard. And their little weapons are quite powerful and can block you for an eternity without taking damage until their friends arrive.
    I think you see a problem with dealing damage from afar. If you are faced with only ranged opponents you run upto them and fight them. No problem there. I think the problem is when you are faced with both ranged and melee opponents. Then you are in a bit of a pinned down situation, but its still very possible to come out of it, you just have to get tactical, which IS sporty. Sounds like you just have a problem with not being able to charge in and spam.

• This thread is about bows vs. crossbows. There are already numerous threads on archers in general. Please take that discussion to one of the threads dedicated to it.

• Personally I like Crossbow better then an Archer.

Never really compared it, but believe Crossbow shoots faster and/or farther then a bow?

But besides that the ease of aiming with it on a draw can be used to your advantage.

A couple times I was able to kill knights easily by slashing them 2-3 times, kicking them, turn around run while switching to crossbow, then turn around again the second its out, aim and try to shoot center chest.

100% Death if hit, reload, repeat for next person.

Though having no health compared to anyone else means you won’t be put in such a situation many times unless you lure someone away from group by pretending to be an easy kill.

• @Zeroace:

Personally I like Crossbow better then an Archer.

Never really compared it, but believe Crossbow shoots faster and/or farther then a bow?

But besides that the ease of aiming with it on a draw can be used to your advantage.

A couple times I was able to kill knights easily by slashing them 2-3 times, kicking them, turn around run while switching to crossbow, then turn around again the second its out, aim and try to shoot center chest.

100% Death if hit, reload, repeat for next person.

Though having no health compared to anyone else means you won’t be put in such a situation many times unless you lure someone away from group by pretending to be an easy kill.

Sorry, but this is very misleading because your post confuses crossbows for bows.

• @acrh2:

Sorry, but this is very misleading because your post confuses crossbows for bows.

No no, Crossbow is crossbow.

Unless you meant about either the range or speed of the projectile, as I don’t know which is faster or goes farther as I never paid much attention to it.

But yea I talk of Crossbows, if you were to use a bow in that situation, the slow pull of a Warbow would give them enough time to catch you, and a Shortbow possess little damage that wouldn’t be very effective.

• Broadhead of botkins?

• If i had to only play either, it would depend on the map, but mostly i would choose archer since crossbowman is a hybrid class.

• i dnt see it being un sporty, its simply somthing to overcome, using a shield or zig zagging isnt annoying, its common medevil tactics. they can be annoying yeah, but its kinda their job. idk the archer hate that CMW is amazing, because we had very little to none in AoC. and honestly archery felt alot stronger there.

In AoC the benifit to the crossbow was pretty much 1 shot kills, while bows gave you skrimishing mobility. xbows were also (imo) a little easier to aim since it had the sights on the weapon. in CMW there doesnt seem to be a big reason to use xbows currently. its a shame but thigns will change im sure. i wouldnt mind them going back to 1 shot kills. or maybe the only one to one shot kill a knight being the heavy xbow (so it has use) but tis still very early and i know alot of thigns need tweaking.

• somehow the xbow doesnt feel right to me(still need to unlock the bigger ones so cant speak for those)
    the bow is oke but a little meh.

im very surprised at the archer hate both on forum but specialy ingame.havent been in a battlemode game where people arent crying about archers.especialy suprises me since i never saw so much archer hate in mount and blade,and archers there were way more powerfull(for some factions they could even get a big shield or a 2handed weapon+fairly decent armor)

• I tried to play a few matches with bots, and I noticed some of the bots had firearrows. Is that something we can unlock aswell? I cant see them in the arrows selection.