I'm not a fan of jump/looking up overhead swings

• Are you? Do you think it adds to the depth or just a novelty that destroys the depth?

• Not sure what jumping and looking up does. I’m a fan of jumping and a fan of looking up, but if you could enlighten me on what the two do when combined I’d appreciate it.

• I’m guessing it’s a way to delay overhead swings so that you can feint peoples parries.

• @Knil:

I’m guessing it’s a way to delay overhead swings so that you can feint peoples parries.

I’ve been feinting wrong this whole time :?

• @SlyGoat:

@Knil:

I’m guessing it’s a way to delay overhead swings so that you can feint peoples parries.

Well it’s the same principle that you would use with a slash with a slow weapon.

• If you are talking about swing delaying, I am fine with it. You should be waiting till the last second anyways to avoid feints.

• @Knil:

@SlyGoat:

@Knil:

Well it’s the same principle that you would use with a slash with a slow weapon.

Yeah, but we only do that because weapons slow enough to do so are mostly useless to feint :)

If that’s really what the thread is about I’m fine with it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. I jump a lot, but never to delay an attack.

• One thing that came to mind when reading this thread was crouching and then looking straight down to stab at feet. With knights at least, all I can see is their back so their attack is coming out of nowhere, and the instantaneous animation is too fast to react to with a jump.

Now that is dumb. Shortly after, I got flashbacks of warband feint spamming and had to make an emergency visit with my post-war psychiatrist.

• I love the jump + overhand swing. Gets rid of overly defensive archers and MAA in 1 hit with a zwiehander.

• Blocking at the start of the animation is the problem, wait till the weapon is on it’s way before you get all LIGHTNING REFLEXES about it

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Blocking at the start of the animation is the problem, wait till the weapon is on it’s way before you get all LIGHTNING REFLEXES about it

Too true. Once people move out of the twitch mindset and realize this game is about reading your opponent and reacting accordingly rather than putting your cursor on their head and hitting a button as fast as possible, they’ll start playing much better.

• My view is simple - kill it before it becomes a phenomenon. As if feints weren’t already about guesswork enough, you can hit space literally before your attack connects to ensure they won’t be able to look up in time (as Sophax does to me in every duel damn him, and then there’s Wolfy, who does the complete opposite and aims for the bottom of your legs in every single attack and gets past 9/10 parries; we have quite a dodgy crew); it turns out I was wrong in a previous post though and you can actually jump mid animation which exacerbates the issue. It just boils down to a frustrating mechanic where the people who know how to exploit it the best wins - I thought we wanted to move away from the AoC way, where the player who knows the most game breaking mechanics wins the fight, and I bet I get this a whole lot more than anyone else cus of our motley crew, lol.

• If it’s not fun and does nothing vital for gameplay/balance you can as well remove it imho.
    …and a jump-overheading knight looks just plan stupid.

• HA! its actually one of my favourite move. I jump and stab with my pike or spear. I feel like Zhao Yun or Lu Bu. :D google it if you don’t know who are they.

• So just to be clear, Blaine, what exactly about jumping causes you to react differently to an overhead? I could understand with a stab because you would be aiming your block forward and suddenly they’re attacking your head, but with an overhead one would assume you’d want to look up while blocking anyway.

Also, I have seen the foot stabbing before. It’s very silly looking and incredibly hard to see coming. That one I definitely understand a need to change, but I’m not really grasping where the issue is with jump-overheads.

• Oh, I’m not talking about jump-overheads in particular (not sure what jump-overhead even has to offer tbh as like you said, you generally look up anyway), I was generalising the jumping, but you could say the issue is more prevalent with jump-stabs.

• I like it, it’s all cinematic and stuff. If you remove jump attacking, then might as well remove that vanguard special move thingy too eh? And that man at arms speed of light dodging.

• @Martin:

Oh, I’m not talking about jump-overheads in particular (not sure what jump-overhead even has to offer tbh as like you said, you generally look up anyway), I was generalising the jumping, but you could say the issue is more prevalent with jump-stabs.

In that case - perhaps it’d be best if, as you assumed but didn’t turn out to be the case, you could only begin attacking in mid-air and not jump in the middle of an attack already in progress. This would force the player doing it to broadcast their intention early so you have time to aim up.

Doing the same thing with crouching might be for the best as well. After all, it’d be pretty hard to suddenly duck while you’re throwing your weight into a swing. You’d probably just fall on your face.