Spears and Polearms need a nerf and we all know

• So can we finally get to it and reduce their reach or implement a fix where only the blade-part of the weapon hurts? It’s pretty ridiculous how easy Vanguards are right now due to these weapons.

• Considering I Stab 99% of the time with the Brandistock. You would still die in that situation.

• Improvise, adapt, overcome 8-)

When one guy its coming at you with a superior tactic, find the weak spot in exploit it.

Your post is appreciated nonetheless however. and who knows what changes could be made in the future.

• I really hope these changes aren’t implemented. Why use a vanguard except for their reach? Knights are the better vanguards as it is and the ONLY advantage a vanguard has is their reach (which isn’t that much better anyways). I have to stab someone 3-4 times before they die with the only decent polearm (imo) to get a kill (halberd).

• I find the thing to do when fighting a vanguard is to switch to my mace and close the distance, the mace should be faster and if you are equipped right you may have a shield for that extra defense. With that being said, I do think that it would be nice to see some sort of damage difference between the pole and the tip of the weapon but I am not a game programmer and I do not know how much difficulty that entails.

• @Xaragoth:

So can we finally get to it and reduce their reach or implement a fix where only the blade-part of the weapon hurts? It’s pretty ridiculous how easy Vanguards are right now due to these weapons.

I agree 100%
    We all know most of these Quotes/commets that disagree come form people who only/mostly play Knight/Vanguard… its so easy to see

• Vanguards are probably in the worst spot right now, actually. To beat the range game, play Man at Arms with Norse sword. Bait them to attack you, let it miss, dodge forward and stab. It’s so fast that it’s 100% impossible for them to parry in time if you do it right. Also, pro tip: range users hate when you get in their face and stay in their face. Flanged mace and Warhammer are great for this. Use a shield if you need it.

• I play archer and knight. I don’t like vanguards and I don’t like playing them.

They aren’t “easy”, vanguard IMO is the worst class in the game. Their weapons working at close range isn’t an actual gameplay issue, it’s an issue you have.

The game can’t be 100% realistic because it simply would be unplayable, putting this change in would make vanguards suck more than they do now and make them trivially defeated.

• All of these suggestions of strategy for countering polearms&Spears are only relevant for 1v1 dueling.

You’ve only got to look at the score screen to appreciate how these weapons dominate in every other game mode that matter; ffa, lts, tdm, and TO.

The problem isn’t with the weapon stats themselves, it’s the more fundamental limitations of the combat mechanics that are the cause of the imbalance.
    -impact point on the weapon, so weapon tips matter
    -damage proportional to velocity at impact point, so impacts too early/late in swing do little damage.
    -attacks shouldn’t penetrate through players unless the attack kills them.

• Vanguards are easily overcomed by shield and sword(or mace). Most of the critisism towards vanguards come from Knights with two handed weapons, and shieldless man at arms against whom vanguards are clearly specified. Weakening vanguards will ruin balance, rendering this class useless.

• Id rather have other classes buffed than vanguard nerfed. But if there is a nerf it shoulnt be in range, but rather weapon speed. That would make perfect sense and make the vanguards more unique while adding balance, since yes nerfing an entities most distinguishing feature is bad.

• I have a video showing exactly how to beat a vanguard as MAA repeatedly.

Just have to edit and upload it.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

All of these suggestions of strategy for countering polearms&Spears are only relevant for 1v1 dueling.

You’ve only got to look at the score screen to appreciate how these weapons dominate in every other game mode that matter; ffa, lts, tdm, and TO.

There is almost never a vanguard using a polearm/spear at the top of the games I play. That slot is usually reserved for me (knight/archer), a knight, a MAA or a vanguard that went nuts with the flamberge.

• And your server has how many slots, average players when you play, respawn time, game modes, maps? How do you even know what class the top players are and how do you know that they have played the same class all game?

• I play on 32 player servers and top the charts as MaA with shield+hatchet. Not just top the charts, I’m usually way above the second highest score. I can do the same as a Knight with almost any setup, too. Vanguard? I usually just get picked apart by archers too much to be useful.

Ofcourse I almost exclusively play TO, I know VGs are the superior choice for backstabbing people in FFA which seems to be the most popular game type.

• Okay and give me an honest screen of a typical center point of the battlefield. But if the people you are playing against are as bad as the people here then I really have no comment.

• I think its really hard to justify a balance problem anyway. There are no standards that we can use to make sure that someone isn’t just getting beat because the Vanguard player is better.

I play a Vanguard all the time. There are times when I dominate every other class, and there are also times where I get beat by any class. It depends more of the skill of the players than the weapons being unbalanced.