Perk Request For Future Update

• Even in a time when war was considered “fair” there were knights out there that were larger , stronger by genetics some faster (but not as fast as a man in no armor of course) and some with more courage.

Boardgames like war hammer fantasy could implement these things with added characteristics like leadership and marching speed most other games would not.
    You can make people more courageous by adding the option of a perk that makes them slightly more survivable in their more vulnerable positions. EG. vanguard: jump/sword combo, knight: combo/shield bash
    ,MAA: Dodge/swing

This could be an example of one of the 3-4 perk choices players would have for each class. giving them either more defensive/offensive or survivable potential in battle. These perks should define who the player is and what type of warrior he has become.

A beserking skill would be ideal for knight as they can take less damage making it easier for players to use combo’s which most players aren’t doing these days in beta due to large differences in attack speed when you compare between vanguard pole axe’s and spears to a knights two hand armory you can see why.

These variations of characteristics can all be implemented in game play if you adopt a perk system that affects the game play less then any other game like modern warfare would, but still enough to give people a sense of identity based on their own unique fighting style.
    I would like to know why all of you go against this idea?
    is it not just an add on to what torn banner studio would have ideally done if they
    could portray it as really as possible with an infinite amount of time.
    I mean a class system was put in place to represent the different roles of warriors, perks would add an extra dimension to that by portraying characteristics in these types of warriors. This potentially gives them more variety in the amount of ways they can play there class strategy wise.
    Ideally the quality of a new FPS MMO to me, if based on the amount of options they add afterwards.
    What made the old AOC so memorable and epic was how much it improved and changed from its release.
    Don’t be scared to change if its for a significant improvement.
    If you dont like the idea of perks because you think it affects the combat , then i have a simple solution, remember that you can take away things already implemented and bring them back as a choice like the new wow update blizzard did with talents.
    For example, take away the charge (for V), back stab (for A) and slight amount of armor (Agathia knights have) as-well as dodge for MAA, and bring these “features” back as a perk option for each class. Have the knights both take the mason knight skin (with color variations of course)giving the option of having a plate skin when you choose the tank perk. Seeing as the tanks have more armor change it so there not the only plated knights that can hold shields on their backs.
    Right now mason knights cant even hold shields on their backs.
    All these subtle bugs people dont even think about that slightly sour the way we play each class can all be fixed by implementing the abilities through a perk system. This is the last update i could imagine giving the next step in class customization to the point were every retail owner of this game will have something to look forward to.

New perks in an update. : )

I dont see many players back stab , survive longer as knight due to armor rather then skill with the unique weapons, or many charge in every battle as vanguard or dodge charge in as MAA.But i would see most players do something unique and cool thing on the battle field that differs from my fighting style if we had the option of taking on a different skill or feature instead of what the devs made default for each class.I think its important to define yourself in battle.
    I know for a fact there are many war dancers out there that would love
    to jump into battle and lob a head clean off mid air.
    i would do that most battles in this game had there been an option for slightly faster jumping or even slightly larger jumps.
    this is a way for my vanguard to have an advantage attacking and dodging with reach mid swing.
    if this was a perk i would gladly choose it over the charge one.

With of course your own addition of perk choices, once you decide what features make a class strategy more effective for that particular type of player, the need to test this out would arise surely.(One perk is enough to make the game play much more interesting and unique as well as an excuse to give players more slight variations in appearance A bit like the already implemented kick starter helmet)
    A chance for torn banner to possibly get this type of brainstorming going in the forums for would be more then i could hope for. Just out of curiosity if for anything, you should do this to hear ed least what some intelligent people think about this added option for customization which doesn’t necessarily have to be skin definitive too!
    please be aware of the need for change we all have even after we think were ready. sometimes its the little things that count in life and unfortunately in games and music its all in the variety of features and
    choices people get to be able to interpret the experience a bit differently from the next tom dick or sally.
    Adding perks even if only 3 per class would make many players read there opponents in combat more often then now, meaning in the long run people would watch more movements and spam less attacks resulting in longer combat periods.

• I’m a big fan of the idea of perks, personally, because it allows for further class customization with very little work - you need a unique model and texture for every weapon, and probably animations too, not to mention in this game swing traces etc, whereas perks just have to be coded and perhaps have a small 2D icon made.

• I approve as long as they are realistic or semi-realistic such as tallness, adrenaline abundance or situational awareness (semi).

• I dunno’, I’m kinda’ skeptical about them. They work in CoD because CoD is CoD, this is Chivalry. I’m afraid in Chivalry, a lot of the fights would come down to using the right perks at the right time rather than actually being skill based.

• They dont need to be powerful or short duration. Rather you can use them to augment your strategy slightly or you can use them to augment your safety slightly.

• @SOC:

I dunno’, I’m kinda’ skeptical about them. They work in CoD because CoD is CoD, this is Chivalry. I’m afraid in Chivalry, a lot of the fights would come down to using the right perks at the right time rather than actually being skill based.

That is a legitimate concern, but I think if they were all trade-offs instead of straight benefits then they could easily be guided to be more of a playstyle change than anything.

For example, some potential MaA traits:

Berserker - +25% combo speed, -15% combo stamina consumption, +30% on all other stamina consumption (including missed combo attacks)

If you can accurately combo you’ll deal considerably faster damage, but if you spam and miss you’ll just run out of stamina in a couple swings. It also costs more to block, dodge, etc. - so you’re going all in on aggression.

Elusive (recycled name from current MaA ability) - +25% strafe and backpeddal speed, -33% dodge stamina consumption, +50% block stamina consumption.

Again, you’re all-in on evading attacks - block is only useful as a last resort.

Counterattacker - +25% parry combo speed, +25% shield drop/raise speed, -15 armor (from 15% reduction to 0)

Huge reward for successful blocks - but now your mistakes are even less forgiven; all of those numerous attacks which normally leave you at 15% health or less now kill you outright.

Probably not balanced; but these are just examples. I think it’d be very interesting to see. The one problem is you don’t immediately know what perk the other person is using - however because the perks respond only to playstyle, it only gives them an advantage when they’re already successfully executing their strategy against you.

Nothing like +damage or +armor/health should ever be implemented though, because it obscures important information like # of hits to kill a healthy enemy. Subtracting damage, armor or health is fine because that’s only detrimental to the player using the perk - and they already know they’re using it. There are also obviously bad tradeoffs like +25% attack speed for -25% health as an archer - because the health detriment will very rarely matter while the attack speed is always beneficial.

• Personally, I don’t like the idea of perks in Chivalry. Not because it wouldn’t work but because I feel it would take away from the barebone nature of the game. Adding perks would take away from the core gameplay which is what this game is all about. Being on a level playing field using the basic tools we already have.
    Buuuuut as you guys a saying that using a perk system to benefit strategy would open up doors for people and playstyles for personalisation, + would also give us something to aim for other then unlocking weapons.
    It’s a tough one.

• Meh. I prefer to define my playstyle by my actual, you know, playstyle and the game is deep enough for me to do that.

• If you are fighting against opponents that are any good you can clearly and non-dependently rank playstyles by how effective they are. Some features lack the edge but would be too powerful when buffed in combination with other features, so actually thats where tradeoffs come in. Thats not a bad idea at all.

• @SlyGoat:

I’m a big fan of the idea of perks, personally, because it allows for further class customization with very little work - you need a unique model and texture for every weapon, and probably animations too, not to mention in this game swing traces etc, whereas perks just have to be coded and perhaps have a small 2D icon made.

Your completely right about that sly. my question is if you can supply the logic to tell people who read this,( assuming they are already interested in the idea)
    that it is very cheap, extremely quick and will use up little of your downloads.
    Then why arent people simply stating why they would agree with this and how there perspective might differ from me or yours if we missed anything, concept wise.
    instead i get a bunch of people disagreeing without the courtesy of even a justification
    to why they think it will “ruin it for everyone” destroy the "bare awesomeness of the combat"
    or even “make me feel worse then i already am with a simple combat system”

seriously people. read, they taught you that at school ed least.
    me and sly have stated in this forum and in previous posts that the concept is to change game play in the “slightest” bit. so that players who are skilled in arts of Concepts, can actually have fun with the concept of change.

The combat is awesome at first then once the human mind adapts to the environment and gets comfortable with the timing for all combinations, it gets limited by the amount of different challenges.
    90 percent of players seem the same challenge to me , SLASH (miss) SLASH (close but still miss) then they die for not looking at your weapon or legs.

Combat is severely based on the environment (not very flexible currently in a small MMO team vs team in only 5 different maps)
    Fun is severely based on what you can learn and what your going towards.
    Currently im going towards nothing as the idea of clans makes me laugh.
    (yeah 5 shit maps of clan warfare and not even a notification when we will get the long awaited SDK kit.)

Currently im learning nothing as the only swordsman that can teach me something can teach me it only through faints (Cobb from sisu) which is not part of my combat style nor is it the Slavic thing to do.

so my question is. how many players can pretend its a game they will play for 3 years constantly getting better, having the same amount of fun each time. (similar to vanilla wow)
    i know i cant.
    The problem is the choices a player has are so limited that combat is even a reminder of what little we can really do.
    In first person dodging is shit/not possible and without third person FFA is impossible to do great at if your the best player with a combat weapon.(hows that for First person oriented game)
    In a duel the one who knows the opponent better will win.
    It doesent even come down to skill that much i noticed.
    Which is a big problem in my mind.
    if a game is turning into a read the opponents hands and feet to win, then you know the opponent cant do that much with his mind to make the hands or feet different from the next tom dick or sally.(the true death of AOC was the reading of the hands and feet couse combat was not getting better due to the engine’s limitations)
    im sick of the same tactics, and legal exploits.
    im sick of the same map layouts effecting skill.
    im sick of the lack of potential the devs see in this game
    couse they "dont have enough time"
    im sick of lack of change
    and the vagueness of when this HOLY change will come.
    Im sick to death of not being able to express my idea of what this combat should be like in a mod couse i dont even know when the sdk is coming out.
    so seriously fuck you medieval warfare im going to a zombie mmo till you think about all the great ideas in the forums and actually comment on some of them.
    dev support or not all i see is negativity coming at the most creative supportive fans this game has ever seen. sad very sad.

• @andske:

@SlyGoat:

I’m a big fan of the idea of perks, personally, because it allows for further class customization with very little work - you need a unique model and texture for every weapon, and probably animations too, not to mention in this game swing traces etc, whereas perks just have to be coded and perhaps have a small 2D icon made.

Your completely right about that sly. my question is if you can supply the logic to tell people who read this,( assuming they are already interested in the idea)
    that it is very cheap, extremely quick and will use up little of your downloads.
    Then why arent people simply stating why they would agree with this and how there perspective might differ from me or yours if we missed anything, concept wise.
    instead i get a bunch of people disagreeing without the courtesy of even a justification
    to why they think it will “ruin it for everyone” destroy the "bare awesomeness of the combat"
    or even “make me feel worse then i already am with a simple combat system”

seriously people. read, they taught you that at school ed least.
    me and sly have stated in this forum and in previous posts that the concept is to change game play in the “slightest” bit. so that players who are skilled in arts of Concepts, can actually have fun with the concept of change.

The combat is awesome at first then once the human mind adapts to the environment and gets comfortable with the timing for all combinations, it gets limited by the amount of different challenges.
    90 percent of players seem the same challenge to me , SLASH (miss) SLASH (close but still miss) then they die for not looking at your weapon or legs.

Combat is severely based on the environment (not very flexible currently in a small MMO team vs team in only 5 different maps)
    Fun is severely based on what you can learn and what your going towards.
    Currently im going towards nothing as the idea of clans makes me laugh.
    (yeah 5 shit maps of clan warfare and not even a notification when we will get the long awaited SDK kit.)

Currently im learning nothing as the only swordsman that can teach me something can teach me it only through faints (Cobb from sisu) which is not part of my combat style nor is it the Slavic thing to do.

so my question is. how many players can pretend its a game they will play for 3 years constantly getting better, having the same amount of fun each time. (similar to vanilla wow)
    i know i cant.
    The problem is the choices a player has are so limited that combat is even a reminder of what little we can really do.
    In first person dodging is shit/not possible and without third person FFA is impossible to do great at if your the best player with a combat weapon.(hows that for First person oriented game)
    In a duel the one who knows the opponent better will win.
    It doesent even come down to skill that much i noticed.
    Which is a big problem in my mind.
    if a game is turning into a read the opponents hands and feet to win, then you know the opponent cant do that much with his mind to make the hands or feet different from the next tom dick or sally.(the true death of AOC was the reading of the hands and feet couse combat was not getting better due to the engine’s limitations)
    im sick of the same tactics, and legal exploits.
    im sick of the same map layouts effecting skill.
    im sick of the lack of potential the devs see in this game
    couse they "dont have enough time"
    im sick of lack of change
    and the vagueness of when this HOLY change will come.
    Im sick to death of not being able to express my idea of what this combat should be like in a mod couse i dont even know when the sdk is coming out.
    so seriously fuck you medieval warfare im going to a zombie mmo till you think about all the great ideas in the forums and actually comment on some of them.
    dev support or not all i see is negativity coming at the most creative supportive fans this game has ever seen. sad very sad.

What a mouthful. You didn’t need to do all that you know. The devs are taking a lot of community ideas in the upcoming weapons content. No need to curse the game for not being supportive of the community’s ideas!

• i personaly hate this ideal … i would very hate getting killed by a guy who has the same weapon and class as me just because he has a peak that give him an advantage over me ( specialy by a “noob”)… i preffer when everybody is equal and skills decide the winner of the fight … it feels like it would take away some of the skill-based combat style of the game …