Some Suggestions

• First of all, despite the fact that I will focus on a things I don’t like, I love this game a lot. It is really something new on the market and I do not regret of buying this game.
    However some things in my opinion need certain improvements.

Falling damage is way too small It completely ruins realism of a fight when dude in full plate, jumps from high ground and survives. Once I took a position on the roof and was outnumbered by enemies. I managed to kill some of them but eventually I got kicked down. The fact that I survived the fall was king of unfair. People run around the roofs and have double advantage. High ground and no risk. I think it would be better to make realistic falling damage.

Some weapons a way better than other ones as for example Pole axe and Double axe. They have same speed, but Double axe have only 6% more damage while Pole axe almost twice longer. I can’t possibly imagine who would prefer double axe with such a difference.
    Lack of special animation for some weapons really negleting efforts to make a unique fighting style. I thing that no warrior would ever thrust with falchion. In my opinion the whole point of choice between bardiche and halbred is the thrusting and slashing capabilities different for every weapon. Weapons of same class should not have one animation. If bardiche would only slash it would make it superior to halbred in some situations. Now halbred have 3 effective moves while bardiche have 2(same true for broadsword and falchion)
    SLASHING WITH A SPEAR no further comment. It makes no sence. If spear would have extremely fast butt slash move, that would not damage opponent staggering him instead it would be much more useful.

Clear destinction between damage types is needed. It is unclear how much extra damage exactly do I deal to Knight using blunt weapon, and how less to Archer. What chopping weapons are good for? Destroying shields? I never noticed that feature. So far it is unclear, by the looks of it weapon with higher damage deals more damage to every armor type. I didn’t notice that sword is more effective against light armor. They still die faster if you smash them with morningstar.
    Vanguard class and short swords are odd combination probably it only makes sense with Zweihander. This class really needs blunt weapons in my opinion.

Two handed weapons are too good at blocking there is little motivation to switch to shield and one handed. I have no trouble blocking with a maul or halbred.I think two handers should have disadvantage up close.

Dagger blocking claymore and claymore blocking dagger Dagger should be fast enough to poke before swordsman would have a chance to block the strike. Large swords CAN NOT be blocked by small daggers.It’s crazy how easily strikes can be parried in both situations. It ruins a whole point of different class different style approach.

I have never seen a shield destroyed I think axes and javelins need this option. In real life both are aimed to strip people of shields.

3rd person view is ruining balance and atmosphere. Make it disappear please. When you are using a tower shield 3rd person makes it way superior to kite. You can actually see people that way.

And also I hope this game would have nice character customization. We all deserve to be swaggerknights.

• 3rd person view is ruining balance and atmosphere. Make it disappear please. When you are using a tower shield 3rd person makes it way superior to kite. You can actually see people that way

Not gonna happen. Play on 1st person only servers.

• I agree on the falling damage my friend - as for the daggers blocking big swords, the ability to parry a heavy sword is not based on the mass of the blocking blade (i.e. the dagger), but rather the movement of the deflecting weapon. So, deflecting a hammer or longsword (IRL) is about moving your body and blade in the same or similar motion to the incoming blade, and moving it (parrying it) away from your body. It’s an incredibly difficult technique - but I like to think our medieval knights would be capable of performing such a manoeuvre - even if the parry animation just makes the archer look like his waving his dagger about in front of him.

Source: martial arts and weapons training.

Also - tweaking/changing special animations with some weapons might help you to believe the ‘parry’ motion a bit more, so that could be a good suggestion for immersion etc. I’m also interested in knowing a bit more about damage types! Good idea.

• @Siegbert:

This hardly a logical explanation. I think some debate is appropriate at least.

• @LordOfCinder:

@Siegbert:

This hardly a logical explanation. I think some debate is appropriate at least.

Sure, we’re having alot of these lately
    viewtopic.php?t=4371

• I agree with some and disagree with some of what you’ve said. One thing I want to comment on specifically is fall damage:

IMO, current fall damage is actually too high in most cases in terms of gameplay. However, I do agree that kicking someone from a high place is a cool tactic which should be rewarded. So I’d like to propose falling damage be reduced if you just walk off a ledge, but be increased if you’re kicked/knocked off. It makes sense that you’d be able to brace yourself for impact if you dropped off a ledge yourself, and in fact could shorten the fall by a considerable amount by hanging off the ledge before you dropped - but since that would take a lot of animation work it would be easier to just differentiate between voluntary and involuntary falls (if you were kicked or knocked backwards by an enemy within 3 seconds of taking fall damage the fall damage is amplified).

• @SlyGoat:

So I’d like to propose falling damage be reduced if you just walk off a ledge, but be increased if you’re kicked/knocked off.

I think that this is a great idea. It rewards good tactile thought, and differentiates between a planned jump and an unintentional fall.

@GreyFox:

… as for the daggers blocking big swords, the ability to parry a heavy sword is not based on the mass of the blocking blade (i.e. the dagger), but rather the movement of the deflecting weapon. So, deflecting a hammer or longsword (IRL) is about moving your body and blade in the same or similar motion to the incoming blade, and moving it (parrying it) away from your body.

Exactly this. If you look at examples in the real world of weapons designed for parrying, they are often smaller then the weapons they parry, as the idea isn’t to stop the weapons movement, but rather redirect. For example, both the main gauche, and wakizashi were used as defensive weapons, and both are significantly shorter and lighter then the main weapons they were used to parry.

• I can’t see how small falling damage improves gameplay. Chivalry gives us realistic melee combat but people jumping across the map all the time like they are in quake, breaks that. People making a shield wall in the narrow walkway should expect archer fire from above, but HEAVY INFANTRY JUMPING ON THEM? Without significant damage taken. The archer that have chosen high ground lacks any risk because when he got flanked, he can jump of a fucking cliff and keep running around. More over,does not matter if you are ready for jump or not you are in heavy armor. 5 meter jumps look ridiculous even considering jumper is light armored. Making the medieval fight look like circus.

Also, where the falling damage is too high?It is almost non existent. As I said before it is nor quake, people supposed to make formations, fight each other, develop tactic. Now they run around cutting corners jumping from 4 meters high. It is stupid.

Considering parry. Parry is a redirection of weapon rendering opponent off balance making him wide open for the strike. Block is putting your weapon on the way, and making enemy weapon stagger. This game does not have parry per se, it has block.SO when archer and vanguard are fighting each other they hit and block no problem, that is irritating. If archer would parry and hit vanguard if his parry timed perfectly, and if not vanguard would smash him, it would be perfect in my opinion.Now both of them have no trouble to block each others strikes, making a stalemate where it should be quite rapid fight. Dagger and two handed sword are different weapons but somehow when it comes to blocking they have same capabilities. I don’t say that dagger should be stripped of it’s ability to defend from larger weapons I said that system should be substantially changed. Fight archer Vs vanguard should be skill dependent fas fight. Instead they are trading strikes, and vanguard usually wins because in teh damage trade he have more power. My suggestion that dagger parries should be rapid, and make opponent wide open for a hit. And two handed swords should have block delay making vanguard to use his secondary weapon against archers.

• I would have to agree with upon the first input. falling damage is rather not perfect for the time being, and I feel like there should atleast be a difference between an lightweight armoured archer taking a fall then a heavily armoured knight, should be a “Fall damage” multiplier like there is for damage elements on Chivalry. (Swing, pierce and blunt) While I’m at this, I would also have to say that I feel that fall damage should have a bit more coding, like if there is one thing I would particulary love to see, then it would be a way to transfere your current fall damage to an opponent, if you successfully manage to jump down at him. I think the calculation should be like. ( Your current fall damage * fall damage multiplier [Depending on which class you are] ) So, he will take your fall damage, and a little bit extra since its should be rewarding to do so since its hard, it should nearly kill someone.

Also I would like to point out that I don’t like the collision box in the game either, there should be a way for you to jump over your opponent or teammate if he is crouching, but it doesn’t work because despite of him crouching or standing, there will always be this invisible wall preventing you from jumping over him… Just image the possability for a nice teamplay if a two knights would charge in and do a distraction move by having the first knight ducking, then the other one jumping over him and charge into the opponent, would be great.

I’m however not entirely done yet, I also pointed out earlier that kicking an opponent out from a cliff isn’t that much rewarding either, there should be a extra fall damage added to that aswell, IF you are being kicked and thus taking fall damage.

Everything else is invalid in my opinion. The one about dagger and claymore is fine really, would break the balance if something else were done.

• @LordOfCinder:

Two handed weapons are too good at blocking there is little motivation to switch to shield and one handed. I have no trouble blocking with a maul or halbred.I think two handers should have disadvantage up close.

Agreed on everything apart from ^. Why? Because two-handed swords and pole weapons (maybe apart from spear types) give small range advantage comparing to one-handers (which will go with a shield) offering very good defense. One block missed and you die (because of slow re-attack time for 2handers) so nerfing it would be very unbalanced (also considering that a MAA can 2-3 hit a vanguard and vanguard needs also 2 hits on MAA).

• @SlyGoat:

I agree with some and disagree with some of what you’ve said. One thing I want to comment on specifically is fall damage:

IMO, current fall damage is actually too high in most cases in terms of gameplay. However, I do agree that kicking someone from a high place is a cool tactic which should be rewarded. So I’d like to propose falling damage be reduced if you just walk off a ledge, but be increased if you’re kicked/knocked off. It makes sense that you’d be able to brace yourself for impact if you dropped off a ledge yourself, and in fact could shorten the fall by a considerable amount by hanging off the ledge before you dropped - but since that would take a lot of animation work it would be easier to just differentiate between voluntary and involuntary false (if you were kicked or knocked backwards by an enemy within 3 seconds of taking fall damage the fall damage is amplified).

I think fall damage should be reduced as well but not for the knight. Its stupid playing as MAA and you fall from not high at all and lose a good bit of life.

At least give MAA less damage for falling or a higher height for them before it counts. That would make the MAA a little more unique too… But in general the height that activates fall damage on all classes is too low.

• If falling from not high according to you is 3-4 meters we have different points of view in what direction this game should move.I am talking about realism and tactics. You all want to jump around and drop from castle walls. I mean even Team Fortress 2 have more realistic falling damage, and in terms of realism Chivalry supposed to be on whole different level.

• Blocking with 2 handers shouldn’t be hard. If anything they get owned easily when someones up close using a 1 hander.

• I have some experience in historical fencing and I witnessed medieval reconstructions using blunted steel weapons, which I presume gives me some understanding. 2 handed weapons are used to deal damage and keep opponent out of reach, up close 1 handed have advantage. Always. I think that Vanguards would be more interesting if they would have block delay and a guard bash instead of a kick(faster move when you bash your enemy using the apple on the hilt or a blunt point of a pole wep) So they would kick face hugger more easily and would be forced to actually use their one handed weapons. I mostly play vanguard and my idea is not based on butthurt of any king. I just think it would be more interesting if vanguard will use all of his arsenal.

• Bump