Swinging from the left

• I kind of dislike the fact you can only strike from the right (except for combos). I feel it’s important to be able to strike from both directions.

A simple way to do it would be to make it dependent on your moving direction. Say if you’re strafing right you’ll be swinging from the left and the other way around. Default direction could still be from the right.

• Chivalry is not sophisticated enough to make such intricacies of any value.

• I actually like the way its implemented currently. Since shields are on players left sides, players would swing from the left every time to get around the shield. Swinging from the left is harder to do, because you have to intentionally miss a strike and then come in with a combo to get around the shield. Also overhand swings also have a slight arc to the right. If you add real time swinging to that you can kind of swing from the left like that.

• Wouldn’t you agree it’s more logical to strike from the left when you’re moving to the right (strafe)? That way could combine your moving speed with the speed of your swing. Just tested it with a wooden stick ^^
    It feels like a natural thing to do.

In general you are right. A strike from the right is easier to perform so it should stay the default direction when you’re standing still or just running forward/backward.

• Good logic. completely useless from a practical viewpoint though.

• @Sultanofswing:

Good logic. completely useless from a practical viewpoint though.

You’re pretending as if striking from the left would be an absolutely absurd thing to do for a RL swordfighter. In fact you can start with a soft left swing that would be immediately blocked by the opponent and than follow with a harder swing from the right.
    Afterall, there are left swing attacks in the game. Currently they are only achievable by performing a right swing before. Why not make it so you can always do a left swing? It would definitely add to the look of the combat.

• No I mean stepping left while swinging from the right would be useless.
    The advantage of left swing currently would be that it would a bit unexpected. But thats about it.

• @Sultanofswing:

No I mean stepping left while swinging from the right would be useless.
    The advantage of left swing currently would be that it would a bit unexpected. But thats about it.

The combo swing mechanic would still be there. All I’m saying is: since slashing while strafing is something you’ll do anyway it wouldn’t hurt to alter the slashing direction corresponding to the direction you’re moving towards.

• It wouldnt hurt I guess. Just first of all why would some attacks use a seperate key and some depend on movement keys? Its just confusing for the player.

• I would prefer to have left swings bound to another key but I suppose like dodging two methods to execute it wouldn’t hurt.

Also I believe Tibberius said they would try testing swing direction choice internally at some point the last time it was brought up, but don’t quote me on this.

• Maybe the solution would be having a key bound that when held, would default a left-right swing combo over a right-left combo, so that it isn’t tied to the movement from the feet. That way it could also be used for the down ward attack, so that instead of always angled from the right, you could vary it.

• Another key… so many keys necessary in this game :?

Still think some M&B like mouse directional system would work quite well here…

• First thing that springs to mind is JEDI OUTCAST, they did the left right swing thing, and pulled it off successfully.

Video that demonstrates a bit of the combat system:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I502Rl3TMA

I think it is a good request.

• @Siegbert:

Another key… so many keys necessary in this game :?

Still think some M&B like mouse directional system would work quite well here…

The only issue is that would require a complete overhaul of the game mechanic, while an additional button would be relatively easier to implement. It may not be a perfect solution, but is much more likely to actually make it into the game.

• @Crookedleg:

The only issue is that would require a complete overhaul of the game mechanic, while an additional button would be relatively easier to implement. It may not be a perfect solution, but is much more likely to actually make it into the game.

Don’t see what’s so hard about implementing it. It’s basically a mouse movement+ press lmb instead of pressing another key.

• There’s 0 point to this.

• @Jen<3:

There’s 0 point to this.

0 point to your post? I agree.

0 point to Swinging from the left? I disagree

Faking from a right swing to end up left swinging would be another level of sword play, why can’t some people get that?

Too many people are scared of change even when it is such a small change, it’s a terrible attitude to have in life.

• Why can’t they implement swing controls like M&B ??

• I really wish they adopted a M&B style of attacking where you prime your swing and then move your mouse to dictate how you swing. It makes a lot of sense since it opens up the left side for combat as well. I know some of you may say, oh shield but I highly doubt swordsman only trained attacking from the right, and yes it does actually matter because sometimes pillar collisions occur but can be avoided with a left side attack.

• There’s a very obvious argument for being able to swing both right AND left : walls blocking swings, and to that you may even add teammates.

Also I always found the one button per swing system not intuitive AT ALL. Dark Messiah and Jedi knight system are good (moving direction deciding swing direction) but Mount and Blade mouse direction is the best in my opinion.

Why not implement them all and let the player decide? I think it would be fair.