I'm not sure this game can be balanced, or unbalanced.

• Game balance is easy in games with simplistic combat systems where it all boils down to one weapons damage VS another weapons damage. Like in a shooter, you can easily calculate a weapons effectiveness by comparing things like damage per second, range, and various other factors. Balance can mostly be worked out mathematically in that way. Chivalry has an extremely dynamic combat system that you rarely experience in a game. It cant be thought of in terms of a traditional balance system. Your playstyle completely changes the effectiveness of your weapon, and your vulnerabilities to other weapons.

For example, someone who uses a large 2H sword, that tends to get in close combat and combo off blocks, may find that he loses to 1H weapons more than to someone with a 2 hand. This is because a short 1H weapon can easily block a 2H and come in quickly with a combo before the 2H can recover/react for a block.

But if that 2H user uses a more hit and run style, by always staying in a sprint state, weaving in and out and always staying out of range of the 1H user, they may feel that 1h weapons are underpowered and too easy to beat.

Everyone is going to find a different type of weapon overpowered or underpowered depending on their playstyle. This is why I find discussing balance based on personal experience and opinion is pointless. What we really need to do is look at statistics. What weapons have an average high or low KDR? What factors contribute to the weapon being more or less effective than averge? Is there something wrong with the weapon or is it just not being used properly? I believe its alright for some weapons to be easier to use than others. Its kind of a skill balance system. Some weapons are easy to use, but have a capped potential. Other weapons are very difficult to use, but have larger potential if used properly.

The only time i think we can for sure say there are balance issues is in ranged weapons. You may be thinking that I’m going to say that ranged weapon are underpowered, but I’m not. It is true that they are less effective than other weapons, but they are also very unfair. Combat should be one persons skill against another persons skill. With ranged weapons, its one persons skill against another person. The player being shot at cant retaliate when at range. Of course they can weave in and out to reduce the chance of being hit, but ultimately its up to the archers skill as to whether or not they survive. You may say that it is fair because they get torn apart in melee, but is that the kind of balance system we want? Where the distance you happen to be from another player decides if you win or lose? It reminds me of FPS games when you’re in a sniper vs shotgun scenario. If you are in close range, 90% of the time shotgun wins, if you are at long range, 90% of the time sniper wins. The player skill, which should drive the win condition doesnt even matter in these scenarios.

Anyway, I hope I didn’t go off on too much of a tangent, but I had to get these thoughts out. Please discuss.

• Stuff that’s OP:
    Archers
    Man at Arms dodging forward
    Norse sword
    Blunt weapon bonus damage to knights/vanguards
    Variety of weird hit boxes on certain weapons, like norse sword, falchion, sword of war, messer, war hammer, flanged mace, morning star, holy water, halberd, and every axe
    Being able to look up/to the side/jump up right before an overhead/horizontal slash/stab to extend the hit box
    Attacking team requiring (too) much more team work than defending team on TO maps
    The new auto balance

• @SOC:

Stuff that’s OP:
    Archers
    Man at Arms dodging forward
    Norse sword
    Blunt weapon bonus damage to knights/vanguards
    Variety of weird hit boxes on certain weapons, like norse sword, falchion, sword of war, messer, war hammer, flanged mace, morning star, holy water, halberd, and every axe
    Being able to look up/to the side/jump up right before an overhead/horizontal slash/stab to extend the hit box
    Attacking team requiring (too) much more team work than defending team on TO maps
    The new auto balance

Its almost like you read absolutely nothing i said.

• @SOC:

Bullshit

lol

• @Smellyhobo101:

Its almost like you read absolutely nothing i said.

I read it, but the game’s too new to be determining “statistics” balancing IMO. Stuff with good K/D ratios aren’t exactly the most accurate in determining what’s balanced or not right now. Everything I said is currently what’s in need of the most attention, though I could’ve missed some other stuff. I agree that archers seem really out of place in this game because of its heavy focus on melee combat. In one video, the president of Torn Banner said “you’ll never feel frustrated because you got killed from someone 300 feet away” but really, that’s exactly how I feel now that the archers know how to exploit how strong archers are.

• @Smellyhobo101:

Hey guys, i think that game balance is an entirely subjective and cant be determined by personal experience, what do you think?

@SOC:

The following things are overpowered:
    -herp
    -derp

-_-

• Balance can be mathematically calculated in extremely simple system which no modern game with some production value uses for sure.
    Perfect balance is not achievable, but current game balance is upsetting.
    Balance is very simple, its based around winning. Ofcourse it is all conditional, such as too many archers will always lose and using a maul against someone with a fast weapon is bad. However currently there is no way an archer INSTEAD of another class assuming equal skill and luck does not contribute to a team LOSING. Good balance takes into account equal skill over classes/weapons/etc and the skill of the average player and the skill of the very best player. Its a very abstract topic so i cant put it any less so.
    What I can say is that balance is a condition for the realization of variety. And variety is the reason balance is necessary. Variety adds fun. But since variety is not realised (as well) without balance, there is not as much fun. Balance = fun.