Shield optional for certain weapons

• There’s a few weapons here in chivalry, to be exact there are six current weapons that sometimes requires you to wield a shield along with it, and the other one is entirely optional.

Every Javelineer weapons are being forced to wield a shield along with it, and the one-handed style with longsword weapons requires a shield.

What if a player were given the option to go one-handed with javelineer and longswords without actually playing with the shield, that would open another possability for a new playstyle with the weapons. I actually like the idea about going one-handed with the longswords without having this shield.

Post your opinion please.

• There was a unit in a previous game called “Rome Total War”(Cilician Pirates?). Where he had one axe and one javelin, that unit was pretty neat.

So thinking myself into Chivalry Med Warfare that could work out pretty good! An axe and a javelin could be one new combo I’d use often. Since I’m Swedish and Vikings standard weapon were pretty much the axe, I would most likely appreciate if I could have a javelin too :)

• Vikings standard weapon was the spear.
    Why do you dislike more protection or more power?

• Going to just post this in every thread related to javelins and shields I guess :P

I think it’d be neat if weapons that are unable to parry could be given the option to select “Parrying Secondary” as their tertiary weapon instead of a shield/throwing weapon/etc. - right now this would just be the Javelin (so you could use Javelin/Shield or Javelin/Shortsword or whatever other weapon) - it would turn the shield bash attack into the overhead attack of your secondary and you would use the secondary to parry. In the future this could include other weapons which could feasibly be wielded in one hand but unable to parry - like the Flail or the Sling (which was never confirmed but strongly implied).

• I want!

• I don’t think you will ever be able to fight with a javelin and without a shield, because the devs would have to make new animations. The knight longswords however would be possible, but it would look kind of strange. Hey look at me I have got this hand and a half sword and wield it with only one hand! My other hand does nothing and my shield is on my back unused!…ok I think you get the point :D

But on a serious note, I wouldn’t mind. It doesn’t do anything to balance (you’re better of with the shield imho) and it’s just an additional feature, which is always good. But I’d prefer the devs to work on something else.

• It was possible to wield a bastard sword in one hand with no shield via a bug before, but I believe it was patched out - presumably it was related to the bug letting you use a shield with a two-handed weapon.

Currently you can do the same thing with fists, though… but your fist-shield won’t block weapons (like regular fist parries), and will cause some… interesting side effects.

• @SlyGoat:

Currently you can do the same thing with fists, though… but your fist-shield won’t block weapons (like regular fist parries), and will cause some… interesting side effects.

I had to laugh really hard watching this :D
    help
    heeelp
    help me xD

• @SlyGoat:

It was possible to wield a bastard sword in one hand with no shield via a bug before, but I believe it was patched out - presumably it was related to the bug letting you use a shield with a two-handed weapon.

It randomly happend to me earlier today when I was suppose to change to 1H messer with shield, looked epic !

• Me and Blaine discovered a way to glitch the longsword into one-hand style and other weapons 100% of the time, I must say it feels epic to wield a longsword in one-hand, and against smaller one-handers its not too suprior either, however It feels kinda wrong using it considerig its exploiting / not meant to be this way, but I think it would be lovely if the developers would take this to their consideration.

• Whether it’s meant to be or not, I stand by that you should be able to wield any weapon one-handed without a shield - except ones where it doesn’t make any sense because you wouldn’t be able to parry - previously mentioned javelins + flail; although even maces, axes and the warhammer don’t make much sense that way. I still want to be able to dual wield secondaries for the sake of parrying. Maybe the necessity of using a shield or a parrying weapon could be extended to axes/maces/warhammer as well that way. But then the cudgel also doesn’t make sense as a parrying weapon… not to mention the hunting knife which doesn’t look like a weapon at all. So complicated! Either way, this mechanic would be great for javs/flail as a start at least.

• It would look very unorthodox but would be really cool, a new generation of reneissance ninjas. It could synergize with shields being breakable (which probably isnt going to happen though), if you didnt need to choose a parrying tertiary.
    As for wielding in one hand, I think thats what rangers did in DnD and the reasoning is that they need to be fast, agile and have few resources, so MAA esque.

• @SlyGoat:

• except ones where it doesn’t make any sense because you wouldn’t be able to parry - previously mentioned javelins + flail; although even maces, axes and the warhammer don’t make much sense that way.

I totally agree with you on that one, why shouldn’t these be block-able when other weapons that has a wooden shaft / handle can? Basically running around with a javelin without shield is more of a disadvantage in someway, considering you won’t have this epic inactive shield cover, but more view of course.

And I also support the idea about having a one-handed defending dagger or something, but should be for more than just cosmetical appeal.