Damage Types

• I searched around for a deeper look at how the damage system works, and what weapon types (crush, slash, thrust) do what type of damage to certain classes (ie: I’ve heard the knight has 60% slash resistance, but can’t find that documented anywhere).

I’d like to take a closer look at how the damage works, because I play MAA most of the time, and I see people using the Nordic Sword almost entirely. I like the sword personally, but it seems weak when not thrusting. I looked at the detailed weapon stats which was somewhat helpful, but if someone has a link or more knowledge on the subject, please enlighten me.

• From what I can tell each class has armor

Armor is ignored by blunt or pierce

Cutting is weak against armor

i’m sure there’s more to it.

• Blunt weapons do not ignore armor. Knights simply have less damage mitigation versus blunt and pierce attacks than they do versus swing attacks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

• I tested this, and no, neither Knight nor Vanguard take increased or reduced damage from slashing or stabbing. It’s completely equal across every weapon, unless the weapon it self does less with slashing or stabbing (like the Norse sword does bonus stab damage, but reduced slashing, vice versa with falchion). I tested this with Knight longsword, sword of war, broadsword and Vanguard claymore.

However, blunt weapons do bonus damage to Knights/Vanguards, and slash/piercing weapons do bonus damage to Man at Arms and Archers. Spears do less with slashing and more as stabbing, ect…

There’s no reason to not slash a Knight if your weapon doesn’t have reduced slashing damage. You will not do any more with stabbing than slashing them.

• @SOC:

I tested this, and no, neither Knight nor Vanguard take increased or reduced damage from slashing or stabbing. It’s completely equal across every weapon, unless the weapon it self does less with slashing or stabbing (like the Norse sword does bonus stab damage, but reduced slashing, vice versa with falchion). I tested this with Knight longsword, sword of war, broadsword and Vanguard claymore.

However, blunt weapons do bonus damage to Knights/Vanguards, and slash/piercing weapons do bonus damage to Man at Arms and Archers. Spears do less with slashing and more as stabbing, ect…

There’s no reason to not slash a Knight if your weapon doesn’t have reduced slashing damage. You will not do any more with stabbing than slashing them.

Sorry but what you are writing is just plain wrong.

1. thrusts always do pierce or blunt damage, these damage types deal more damage to knights/vanguards than swing.

2. knights take most damage from blunt attacks, vanguards from pierce attacks, archers from swing attacks and maa take equal damage from all attacks

3)nothing does bonus damage (except headshots), but instead you get less damage mitigation

@SOC:

This is only true for the flanged mace. With EVERY other weapon you are better off with an overhead or stab.

• @Falc:

1. thrusts always do pierce or blunt damage, these damage types deal more damage to knights/vanguards than swing.

Grab a friend and go test this. I just tested it last night, and my Knight and Vanguard both took the same amount of damage from horizontal slash and stabbing from another Knight using a longsword, and a Vanguard using a claymore (and some other weapons). Maybe what you’re saying is how it’s supposed to be, but it’s not currently because horizontal slashes and stabs are doing equal damage.

@Falc:

1. knights take most damage from blunt attacks, vanguards from pierce attacks, archers from swing attacks and maa take equal damage from all attacks

I tested the pierce theory on Vanguards, the Knight longsword did equal damage with slash and piercing, or the difference was extreme miniscule and hard to see. The difference could’ve been there, I was having a hard time seeing it but it was very minor if it was. Maybe the difference would be more noticeable with a stronger weapon like the halberd, but I only tested with some longswords/great swords. Thanks for clearing it up about archers and man at arms.

@Falc:

3)nothing does bonus damage (except headshots), but instead you get less damage mitigation

Then it’s important to note that overhead slashes (as long as the weapon isn’t designed for stabs more than slashes) have less damage mitigation than horizontal slashes.

@Falc:

This is only true for the flanged mace. With EVERY other weapon you are better off with an overhead or stab.

Go test it.

• The spreadsheet Falc listed contains accurate values for everything.

• Thanks Falc. That spreadsheet is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

• @SOC:

I tested the pierce theory on Vanguards, the Knight longsword did equal damage with slash and piercing, or the difference was extreme miniscule and hard to see. The difference could’ve been there, I was having a hard time seeing it but it was very minor if it was. Maybe the difference would be more noticeable with a stronger weapon like the halberd, but I only tested with some longswords/great swords. Thanks for clearing it up about archers and man at arms.

If you checked the spreadsheet, your test actually confirms it’s working as intended. The Longsword’s overhead slash does 85 damage and its stab does only 65 - but because the Vanguard takes the most damage from piercing and the least from slashing, the overhead is reduced to 51 and the stab only reduced to 52 (so even though it does 20 less base damage, it still does higher damage when factoring in armor - only very slightly higher, but higher)

Here’s two quick screens with damage display enabled (and sized/cropped down small enough that the forum will actually let me post them as images)

As you can see, Knights take substantially less slash damage than MaAs.

• Obviously, everyone knows man at arms take 2 hits and knights take 4 (with a longsword of course!)

• @Pierre:

Obviously, everyone knows man at arms take 2 hits and knights take 4 (with a longsword of course!)

Actually, 3 hits to the dome with any 2h longsword attack takes a knight. If you overhead, 3 hits takes him even if you somehow miss the head all 3 times.

• @SlyGoat:

Here’s two quick screens with damage display enabled (and sized/cropped down small enough that the forum will actually let me post them as images)

Sorry Is that a console command? How can i activate it?
    I’m trying to undestand how damage types and techniques work as well.
    Thanks

• @[NoiseX:

]@SlyGoat:

Sorry Is that a console command? How can i activate it?
    I’m trying to undestand how damage types and techniques work as well.
    Thanks

Everything you need to know is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

• Why does spear stab do 45 blunt dmg while overhead attack does 70 piercing?! Same for pitchfork :S

• Probably a mistake, not sure, it’s on the bug list though.