Feels like a mod…

• I’m sorry to say but quality wise game feels like a mod. Character models/textures does not look good, terrain is horrible (I’m sure the latter is due to Unreal Engine though). Voice commands sound like they’ve been recorded in a bathroom, and there are numerous weird bugs like sensitivity suddenly going down due to unknown reasons (usually happens A LOT on spear&buckler archer).

There are no way to cancel animations (I’m not talking about feint, if you use spear&buckler you’ll know what I mean - it takes like 1 seconds to raise the spear, and after throwing it around 2 seconds to get another one - and you are probably dead by then since you cannot block or do anything else. Same goes for the bow aswell)

And you know what is the best? Game .exe is called udk.exe… Come on -_- I know you guys used to be modders, but when I look another “game” which used to be a mod, like NS2, price is just right. Your “game” however, is very, VERY rough on the edges, and still needs a lot of polishing… Hopefully you’ll be able to tackle those stuff in time. Best of luck.

• If you say so

• I think they know that it needs work which is why is costs so little. But for where it’s at, it’s pretty good and I feel it’ll only get better.

• So you’re telling me…

Now bear with me here…

That indie devs with limited resources…

Haven’t made a AAAAAAA++++++ game that had no bugs on release?

Fuck, you just blew my mind.

(Idiot.)

• @Hlodvic:

If you say so

This was EXACTLY what I thought after reading the first couple lines.

I think Chivalry looks great, and is an absolute blast. Don’t know what else you want, but if we disagree on such fundamental things I’m not sure I could convince you anyway.

• Opinions are like assholes everyones got one.

• I don’t think it feels like a mod per se, more like a beta product that still needs 6 months of fine-tuning, polish, and a little more content.

I think it’s clear that Chivalry has been developed to a budget, and has been pushed out of the door prematurely because funds were tight.
    However I’m hopeful that the release has been enough of a financial success to justify further investment into improving the game, and developing further content.

• @lyravega:

And you know what is the best? Game .exe is called udk.exe… Come on -_- I know you guys used to be modders, but when I look another “game” which used to be a mod, like NS2, price is just right. Your “game” however, is very, VERY rough on the edges, and still needs a lot of polishing… Hopefully you’ll be able to tackle those stuff in time. Best of luck.

NS2 is not even out; it has been in development for over 8-years and hasn’t promised core-gameplay mechanics that it was originally based around; NS2 has finally cut-down to the same price, though it can’t handle more than 26-players, still has the same performance/gameplay bugs since 40+ builds ago, smaller sized maps made primarily by the community, and is still uncertain on some of its’ mechanics and how it should be based. (Hey there; I have a generally good opinion on this game as I’ve been playing it for over 120-builds.)
    Still, I love NS2, but I’ve really come to love Chivalry:MW more.
    There definitely needs to be some tweaking in this game but I think they released it in a fine-state unlike some other games that I’ve played (and it’s not just NS2 I’m talking about here.)

• Don’t bother criticizing the game. The community is made up of mostly nostalgic fan boys that talk down to you or behave rudely. What’s worse is the moderators let it happen and the Devs don’t seem to offer any kind of word as to how the community should act towards people offering some kind of suggestions of critique of a clearly un-polished game. Last time I tried to mention that the blocking/interrupting system is broken I just got shit talked into 1v1 dueling on a server with them while the moderator just say back like a chuckle fuck posting pictures.

• There are problems.

The gameplay compensates it.

• @geladius:

Don’t bother criticizing the game. The community is made up of mostly nostalgic fan boys that talk down to you or behave rudely. What’s worse is the moderators let it happen and the Devs don’t seem to offer any kind of word as to how the community should act towards people offering some kind of suggestions of critique of a clearly un-polished game. Last time I tried to mention that the blocking/interrupting system is broken I just got shit talked into 1v1 dueling on a server with them while the moderator just say back like a chuckle fuck posting pictures.

He came in and said, 'this is not a game, not worth the price, buy this other game (that’s pretty much in a worse state and had just recently lowered its price to match Chivalry: MW,) make your own engine because UE3 is ‘limited,’ hire actors to do voice-work in a studio because the ones you have now cannot scream to my liking, the models need another 10000 polygons as these just aren’t enough, oh and fix this class please.'
    Besides giving a valid reason as to why they should fix a class-build, it was poorly made criticism on how this isn’t a game to him. What are we supposed to say? “Alright, yea, why aren’t you spending another three-years to make this developers?!” or, “I wanted this game for $5 because it doesn’t measure to my fancy, yet; $25 is too much for me and the hours I’ll be playing!”

• To the OP.

If you came here and at least attempted to actually be constructive and describe what bugs you are experiencing, how they occur and when. Instead of…

@lyravega:

and there are numerous weird bugs like sensitivity suddenly going down due to unknown reasons (usually happens A LOT on spear&buckler archer).

Sensitivity of what exactly? This is no help to anyone and just makes you seem rather foolish.

No one would claim the games is perfect, but posting your opinions in the manner that you have will achieve nothing for you. And will only serve to get you ignored, ridiculed or both.

• @Po1ymorph:

To the OP.

If you came here and at least attempted to actually be constructive and describe what bugs you are experiencing, how they occur and when. Instead of…

@lyravega:

and there are numerous weird bugs like sensitivity suddenly going down due to unknown reasons (usually happens A LOT on spear&buckler archer).

Sensitivity of what exactly? This is no help to anyone and just makes you seem rather foolish.

No one would claim the games is perfect, but posting your opinions in the manner that you have will achieve nothing for you. And will only serve to get you ignored, ridiculed or both.

The sensitivity is actually a bug, after throwing a javelin you can end up stuck in the throw mode so the turn aim is extremely slow, it’s not ganna be fixed for a while, but iirc thats how it goes.

Los (les?) pepe ould tell you more, he’s a jav player.

I’m curious to know whether he’s playing AoC or Chivalry, the graphics are a major improvement, there are bugs (always will be, no game is perfect),

To switch to the javelin quickly like AoC’s old bug (when it was worth using javs could of just been toned down) you hit sword and jav straight after, so it switches almost instantly back to the javelin, it’s slower switch than AoC’s rapid fire Javelin (before fix) and should be like that, if anything the exta long wait is the bug. xD

Natural Selection 2 has been out for a long time, their dev team is about the same as Chivalry’s, the only difference being that Chivalry managed to put out a good game (minus it’s current beta combat system) in half the time it took NS2 to do the same thing, NS2 manages to make some of the good changes dissapear in order to better balance competitive 6v6 rather than 9v9 etc.

Both teams listen, they both are Niche games, you either Like that sort of thing, or you hate it.

There has only been a hotfix since release, give the devs time, hell NS2 in beta cost $35 and prime time you’d have 1 server full, it only managed to get more than that when TotalBiscuit did a review and their sales shot up by 2000% in the first couple of hours and is being sold well now.

• This game will forever be an example to me as a poorly released and staffed game. Great IP/Idea just shit on and smeared mile long with the bugs and obvious beta gameplay.

• Feels like one of the best mods I’ve ever played ^^

No seriously. The game is a blast but it could certainly need some more bugfixing. Just go on.

• It has lots of amateurish aspects, but I find them quite funny actually as the core combat is excellent and the arcadeyness of the atmosphere works well because it is fun (taunts, hammy dialogue, Viking longboats together with Spanish galleons…). Also, there are tons of grammatical mistakes in the written text:

“The Agatha Knights has won” after every second round
    "It’s" when they mean possessive “its”

Large budget games have dedicated writers, yet they can still suffer the same problems at times…

I like these sorts of games (e.g. Red Orchestra 2, Darkest Hour) so I guess I am not too bothered because I expect there to be hiccups. But the core gameplay works, it crashes less now(!).

• @DeltaCentauri:

He came in and said, 'this is not a game, not worth the price, buy this other game (that’s pretty much in a worse state and had just recently lowered its price to match Chivalry: MW,) make your own engine because UE3 is ‘limited,’ hire actors to do voice-work in a studio because the ones you have now cannot scream to my liking, the models need another 10000 polygons as these just aren’t enough, oh and fix this class please.'
    Besides giving a valid reason as to why they should fix a class-build, it was poorly made criticism on how this isn’t a game to him. What are we supposed to say? “Alright, yea, why aren’t you spending another three-years to make this developers?!” or, “I wanted this game for $5 because it doesn’t measure to my fancy, yet; $25 is too much for me and the hours I’ll be playing!”

Don’t put words into my mouth pal. I said this game feels like a mod. And due to that, it does not justify the price tag. And I didn’t say go buy this other game (and oh, that other game we’re talking about, got much better with the last update - at least they don’t release it and then try to fix stuff later). I didn’t say they should build their own engine, I just pointed out a problem that I encountered due to UE, and criticized that even .exe of the game is called udk.exe… I didn’t say they should hire actors to do voice work, I said they sound like they got recorded in a bathtube or something. Even my mic can record better.

If you are using yer butthole to hear stuff, I feel sad for you. If not, as I’ve said, don’t try to put words into my mouth. Or, state that it is in your opinion.

@Po1ymorph:

How many sensitivity options do you adjust in a game? Sensitivity = mouse sensitivity, that is your problem if you cannot grasp what I mean by sensitivity.

@Saraski:

@Po1ymorph:

To the OP.

@lyravega:

The sensitivity is actually a bug, after throwing a javelin you can end up stuck in the throw mode so the turn aim is extremely slow, it’s not ganna be fixed for a while, but iirc thats how it goes.

Los (les?) pepe ould tell you more, he’s a jav player.

I’m curious to know whether he’s playing AoC or Chivalry, the graphics are a major improvement, there are bugs (always will be, no game is perfect),

To switch to the javelin quickly like AoC’s old bug (when it was worth using javs could of just been toned down) you hit sword and jav straight after, so it switches almost instantly back to the javelin, it’s slower switch than AoC’s rapid fire Javelin (before fix) and should be like that, if anything the exta long wait is the bug. xD

Natural Selection 2 has been out for a long time, their dev team is about the same as Chivalry’s, the only difference being that Chivalry managed to put out a good game (minus it’s current beta combat system) in half the time it took NS2 to do the same thing, NS2 manages to make some of the good changes dissapear in order to better balance competitive 6v6 rather than 9v9 etc.

Both teams listen, they both are Niche games, you either Like that sort of thing, or you hate it.

There has only been a hotfix since release, give the devs time, hell NS2 in beta cost $35 and prime time you’d have 1 server full, it only managed to get more than that when TotalBiscuit did a review and their sales shot up by 2000% in the first couple of hours and is being sold well now.

Thanks for a proper reply mate. No no, I’m not playing Age of Chivalry (though, spent a good deal back in the days). I was poking a dead body on the ground, when I saw chainmail textures up close. Textures are not bad, but the model cages are off, and some parts of the textures get stretched a lot due to this. I’m not talking about any animation by the way.

True, graphics are a major improvement over Age of Chivalry, and there are bugs naturally as not just the games, but nothing is perfect.

About those jav. etc bugs, when I click RMB, it should block no matter if I have a javelin in my hand or not. If I’m drawing a bow, “reloading” a javelin, I cannot cancel these until animation is fully executed. Or sometimes even though I just clicked twice, game goes on swinging a third time… I used “rough on the edges” due to these stuff. Fixed in time, true.

Well, about NS2, I am not praising them or anything. They’re a bunch of lazy ass “developers” who has been developing NS2 for years. To be honest, I think they spent like 5 years in developing the engine, leaving just a year or so to release the full game (I believe game release trailer was saying something around 2008 or 2009, we’re in 2012 and well… just lol). When some shit hit the fan at their first failed date, then they started working. Well, from an outside point of view, this is what I see anyway. Could’ve gotten my money back, but I don’t care now since I got two free keys for Overgrowth and another one for NS2.

Anyway, again thanks for the proper reply. As I’ve said in the last sentences of OP, “Your “game” however, is very, VERY rough on the edges, and still needs a lot of polishing… Hopefully you’ll be able to tackle those stuff in time. Best of luck.”

• @lyravega:

@DeltaCentauri:

Don’t put words into my mouth pal. I said this game feels like a mod. And due to that, it does not justify the price tag. And I didn’t say go buy this other game (and oh, that other game we’re talking about, got much better with the last update - at least they don’t release it and then try to fix stuff later). I didn’t say they should build their own engine, I just pointed out a problem that I encountered due to UE, and criticized that even .exe of the game is called udk.exe… I didn’t say they should hire actors to do voice work, I said they sound like they got recorded in a bathtube or something. Even my mic can record better.

If you are using yer butthole to hear stuff, I feel sad for you. If not, as I’ve said, don’t try to put words into my mouth. Or, state that it is in your opinion.

I just said exactly what you said. Read your own comment, and you’ll see how it compares in every way.
    ‘Screams and voices aren’t to your fancy.’
    ‘UE3 is limited to you.’
    ‘This doesn’t feel like a game to you.’
    'The price-tag isn’t good enough for you, unlike this other game that just lowered its price and does feel like a game.'
    If you are using yer butthole to read stuff, I feel sad for you. If not, don’t try to act like I put words in your mouth. As well, NS2 is still grasping on ‘Post 1.0 release’ patches or updates to fix the game, the developers have already said so on the PT-TS. The only thing they managed to do was save an extra 10fps for launch.
    As for your valid complaint on javs, it needs to be fixed. I don’t think you can justify sensitivity control for a weapon to be your reasoning as to why this feels like a mod and how it’s not at the right price-point, however.

• Developer

We’re aware of most of the issues with the game and are working on fixing them as hard as we can. Sorry if for you the game is not presentable, but hopefully you can understand that certain players or playstyles are hit harder by the issues than others. Which is why some people are more annoyed with the bugs than others. We value your feedback and take it seriously, with a kind reminder to all who posted in this thread that emotional exchanges serve only to clutter and confuse the message that is trying to be sent.

So while I do believe the OP could have been more respectful and constructive with his criticism, responding aggressively is the worst way to encourage more respectful and constructive posts.

• Game has some graphical issues and bugs, and yet it’s still far more enjoyable than most of the trash that gets shoved down the AAA funnel. I’ll take a unique game with deep mechanics with bugs and low production values over just about anything released within the last half decade.