Windows 8

• You buying into this? Or is it crap? Me personally, as a gamer, not interested. From what I’ve seen, it’s made with a “tablet” mindset.

er, wrong forum sorry, meant to post in off-topic.

• very easy to answer:

Image is too big for this threat because its size is over 600.

http://humour.200ok.com.au/img/windows-editions-pattern.jpg

• History does tend to repeat itself.

• The crap Windows 8 has been getting is, imo, pretty unjustified [granted, I may be slightly biased because I got it for free, but that’s besides the point].

The only major change (for most users) is the conversion of the Start Menu into the Metro UI (or windows 8 style UI or whatever you want to call it). Everything is all the same, or better. It’ll take you like 30 minutes to get used to the new start menu and another 30 minutes to customize it so only the most important things show up on it.

Like seriously, on Windows 7, what did I use the start button for? Accessing the control panel and doing a search for cmd or dxdiag or run. And sometimes doing a search for a program I don’t use that often.
    Everything else, I ran from the desktop or the pinned programs on my taskbar (so like chrome, explorer, Vs 2010, notepad++ , and windows grep). So really, people complaining about the new UI really just hate change (for the most part).

After using it for almost a week now, I can safely say that I don’t really miss the start button. I actually do kind of like the new metro UI. And even if you absolutely refuse to accept the change, there are mods to get the start button back anyways so in that case you’re just getting increased performance and as a gamer, I don’t think there’s anything better than an increase in performance.

Windows 8 isn’t a revolution for the PC, it’s really just a tiny change (for most users at least). As for tablets/phones, I’ll probably be checking out the Surface running on the x86 architecture, should be interesting. And I’ll probably be getting a Windows 8 phone next. woo

• I’m still happily on Windows XP. Windows 7 is prolly the only newer Windows I want. I don’t like Windows 8 changes. (I for one love the start menu).

• @Jusey1:

I’m still happily on Windows XP. Windows 7 is prolly the only newer Windows I want. I don’t like Windows 8 changes. (I for one love the start menu).

I was in a similar boat for a long time, but I really don’t mind Windows 7. Then again I had to endure Vista for a year or so, after that anything is okay.

• The future of desktop computing is in Microsoft’s hands. I just hope they don’t screw it up.

• you can get it here for just 30 €, if you have windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com

• I was running Windows 8 on 2 computers last year , on a lan here.
    still have the first developers version on dvd, and all others after that up to the last preview version.
    imo they were actually decent. had to install video drivers from other operating systems tho (at that time as drivers not about) but as I don’t use tablets or modern tech, apps. It didn’t suit me.
    I do like an old xp screen and classic views.