A knight is nothing without his horse!

• i would find it pretty epic if u choose to add horses ingame which knights can use in certain maps. ^^

• There are already a ton of threads on this subject.

search.php

• A knight is a knight, nothing to do with a horse. Because someone was a knight, he would ride a horse and not the other way round :p

• @Ariful:

A knight is a knight, nothing to do with a horse. Because someone was a knight, he would ride a horse and not the other way round :p

Knighthood originated from cavalry. In most European languages the word for knight literally means horseman.

• @Siegbert:

@Ariful:

A knight is a knight, nothing to do with a horse. Because someone was a knight, he would ride a horse and not the other way round :p

Knighthood originated from cavalry. In most European languages the word for knight literally means horseman.

yup. In Portugal (my country) knight translates into “Cavaleiro” which means litteraly “Horseman/HorseRider”.

• Actually man at arms was someone who served as a fully armored cavalryman and stuff. names dont need to mean anything :P

• I think a knight is a knight for his title and the very expensive, approx £200,000 equivalently priced armour he strides around in :P Not to mention the weapon he carries

Horses would seriously be very cool one day, but developers very much focused on foot-battles which is evident on how they have shaped/designed the maps etc.

• @Scorp:

I think a knight is a knight for his title and the very expensive, approx £200,000 equivalently priced armour he strides around in :P Not to mention the weapon he carries

If I’m not mistaken knights in at least medieval times (after that it’s rather a title without the necessity to actually fight) were always mounted fighters on an open battlefield. Infantrists were low class fighters with mostly supporting roles.

Chivalry however focuses on very specific fighting grounds like sieges and raiding villages. Horses do not come into play there so you will see knights without horses. But it’s not really their prefered way of fighting.

• There is actually no sense for knights in small battles like 10 vs 10. But if the battles get increased to 40 vs 40 it might be amazing to have some horse maps.

• @Siegbert:

If I’m not mistaken knights in at least medieval times (after that it’s rather a title without the necessity to actually fight) were always mounted fighters on an open battlefield. Infantrists were low class fighters with mostly supporting roles.

Well this is a common belief, it is not correct. Knights did fight as infantry when the strategy for the battle called for it. One of the most famous examples would be the Battle of Crécy, where the King of England ordered his knights to fight on foot in order to protect his archers, where as the French knights stayed mounted. The battle was a major victory for the English, despite the huge difference in size of the armies. Estimates say that the English were out manned by nearly 2-to-1 and still managed to inflict nearly ten times the amount of causalities on the French.

Knights often fought from horseback, but not always.

• @Crookedleg:

Well this is a common belief, it is not correct. Knights did fight as infantry when the strategy for the battle called for it. One of the most famous examples would be the Battle of Crécy, where the King of England ordered his knights to fight on foot in order to protect his archers, where as the French knights stayed mounted. The battle was a major victory for the English, despite the huge difference in size of the armies. Estimates say that the English were out manned by nearly 2-to-1 and still managed to inflict nearly ten times the amount of causalities on the French.

Knights often fought from horseback, but not always.

But this proves my point that knights were expected to be on horses. The fact that in that case they were not was kind of against the habit.

• Actually, this example is the beginning of the period when it did become the norm for knights to fight from foot. Once the longbow became a dominant force on the battlefield, cavalry fell out of favour due to the horses vulnerability. The English standard battle force in the 14th and 15th century featured blocks of infantry supported by dismounted knights in the center of the line, with a much smaller force of mounted knights held in reserve.

• Horses would make this game even more amazing, but it’s pretty much just infantry combat.

• I think this would be very hard to do and balance correctly. The knight is already the most difficult character to kill and place him on a barded horse he becomes a complete tank against ants. There would be virtually no point to play anything else except in niche situations. I’ve played War of the Roses and they used cavalry in that game. The only reason entire servers weren’t playing as cavalry was because it takes a long time to unlock. Keep it the way it is with a great infantry melee system.

• I beg to differ.
    wouldnt mind tho, but still they do good without. :?

• people and their knowledge of knights……

‘No I am correct and you are incorrect about knights!’

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Just give Vanguards pikes = Dead horse and faceplanting knight

• @Siegbert:

Cavalry were cavalry. Soldiers wearing plate armor would in fact be called Men-at-Arms. “Knight” is a title bestowed upon someone by the king/queen and is a social rank rather than militaristic.

• @Po1ymorph:

@Siegbert:

Cavalry were cavalry. Soldiers wearing plate armor would in fact be called Men-at-Arms. “Knight” is a title bestowed upon someone by the king/queen and is a social rank rather than militaristic.

yep yep

• @ImpaleR:

i would find it pretty epic if u choose to add horses ingame which knights can use in certain maps. ^^

Screw you and the horse you rode in on.