Increasing Video Memory?

• Hello,
    I’ve noticed that Chivalry uses around 500mb VRAM and I was wondering if there was some way to increase this value?
    The textures keep dynamically popping in and out (especially on the larger maps e.g. dying at the end of the map and respawning at the beginning of the map will cause the textures to reload/pop)

I have 3gb VRAM available and would like to see if I can utilise it better to reduce the texture popping… but I cannot make any sense from the UDK .inis :)

Any advice or further information would be most welcome!

• Weekly bump. Hopefully it reaches someone who understands the UDK engine!

• Is it shared memory with your system RAM? What GPU do you have?

• @ReMixx:

Is it shared memory with your system RAM? What GPU do you have?

Sounds more like he has a 7970 like myself which has 3gb of VRAM.

• @Chuckdatass:

Are you experiencing this too? I can’t imagine the 7970 struggling with this game.

It sounded like an integrated GPU or an entry level dedicated GPU with shared memory.

• @ReMixx:

@Chuckdatass:

Are you experiencing this too? I can’t imagine the 7970 struggling with this game.

It sounded like an integrated GPU or an entry level dedicated GPU with shared memory.

No, It’s not. But I don’t know many cards other than that one that has 3gb of VRAM. So I figured that’s what he has. And also he sounds mistaken on how the VRAM works. If you want to use more VRAM, run it with 3 monitors and watch your VRAM usage go up a lot. I don’t think you will see improvement if there is even a way to force you card to use more VRAM unnecessarily.

• @Chuckdatass:

@ReMixx:

@Chuckdatass:

No, It’s not. But I don’t know many cards other than that one that has 3gb of VRAM. So I figured that’s what he has. And also he sounds mistaken on how the VRAM works. If you want to use more VRAM, run it with 3 monitors and watch your VRAM usage go up a lot. I don’t think you will see improvement if there is even a way to force you card to use more VRAM unnecessarily.

Well now, if there is textures popping up (I have this too) it’s not unnecessary to put more VRAM into the game to prevent this, it’s a pretty ugly graphical bug and if allowing for more VRAM to be used in case people have this could solve it that would be nice. I didn’t know that there was a 500Mb VRAM usage limit on this game.

• I own a 580 GTX XE.
    The only reason I wondered about this was because Skyrim (which is pretty tame graphically) uses on average 1.5gb VRAM.
    So, if Chivalry is experiencing texture popping, would it be possible to allocate more VRAM usage?

Chivalry runs fine on my system (it’ll drop to ~50fps on 64 man servers with SSAO on High though) however the texture popping appears on almost every death. Maybe it’s dependant on the HDD speed? (Although I’m running Chivalry from a 8x1TB RAID5 array which is capable of ~700mb/s)

I think I’ll start experimenting with the .inis.
    The [TextureStreaming] and PoolSize entries look relevant