Sengoku - Medieval Warfare

• Chivalry is basically the best Game for Melee Combat out there… i love it and its much much better then Mount and Blade. So why should´t the Devs take advantage of this?

While Mount and Blade is very Popular in Europe, Japan lacks really good simulations of FP Slasher like Chivalry. Also i guess a lot of People wish love Chivalry would like to see a Samurai Scenario in 2 or 3 Years. Of course thats “long long” in the Future for someone, but actually something what should be really easy for the devs.

Why is it easy?

Basically because there would be no need for Gameplay changes. All that would need change would be the Style and there would be need of removeing the Crossbow. Huge Assymetrical Bows, Two Handers (No Dachi), 1,5 Handers (Katana), Spears (Yari) and Hellebards (Naginata) were all used by the Japanese as well. So all the Devs would have to change would be the “Styles” and of course some speed issues (the Katana would need to get faster, the Bow would need more Dmg and Range (Japanese Bows were basically the best Bows if i am right).

Why should, no, why MUST the Dev studio do a Sengoku Game?**

• Basically because the Win Win situation. With release of Chivalry - Medieval Warfare the Devs should have earned a lot of Money, ideal for improveing Chivalry now. But afterwards it wouldnt need developeing an entire new game to make a “Sengoku Medieval Warfare” happen. Engine, Grafics, Gameplay and Physiks work perfect. All needed is a new “Style”. Also there is a Huge Base for such a Game and close to 100% of commercial success. Probably not in Europe or the USA, but its basically fact that it would be a success if it would be released in Japan… and in Japan People would most likely even pay Full Price (40-50 Euro), for it (Videogames in japan are expensive).

The only “Hard” thing would be a 100% translation into japanese, because most japanese cant speak or understand english well, even they have it in school. Japanese english capabilitys are probably some of the worst within developed countrys. But translating the Game into japanese should be easy, i have no doubt that i could do it myself… (the Game doesnt have much texts!).

But why wait? Why not start with it right now?**

• Because the Game needs a focus on the current setting first. (My opinion). The “transfer” into a japanese setting wouldnt need much “afford” in changeing gameplay. So basically most or all improvements of Chivalry - Medieval Warfare would be good / amazing for an Japanese Based Game too.

So basically the next Year i think the Devs should focus on “improveing” this already amazing game, to make it even more Amazing. With the Money the Devs got now,** they could create some small Expansions with Content like:**
    _
    -Mounts (only on some “New” Maps or on some servers (needs option to disable mounts).
    -Even Larger Battles (Could start increasing the number of Soldiers on a battle slightly to 80. (i know most people want the 200 Men battles from mount and blade, but look the mount and blade grafics, the devs should slowly test the limits out).

-Avatar Customation -> Customice the Armor/Hairs and Name of your warrior to create an unique “hero”.

-Factions and Map Pack -> Addes 4 New Factions and 20 new maps to the game. (English, French, Holy Roman Empire (German), Danish)

_
    I think the price for each of those “expansions” could be settled between 8 and 20 Euro, while the “Factions and Map pack” could run for 20 i think.

What is the communitys oppinion to this?**

• I don’t know what the devs think about this and other era ideas but i think they would get a lot of sales doing it. But even if they don’t the community will probably make this mod and many others. I’m not sure how mod able this game is?

• This game was built off the Unreal Engine, and as far as I have seen, the Unreal Engine is rather easy to mod (So many games have been made out of it, %80 of which started off as mods!)

Now back to the Sengoku Era thing mentioned. I posted up an idea earlier today that covers pretty much the same thing, except it was just adding in extra factions to play as. You’ve covered pretty much everything better than I did, and to be honest, I am in support of this idea.

• Good luck finding an animator to do that huge amount of work.
    Also, dear god, don’t encourage the Torn Banner developers to become a small version of Electronic Arts, asking for 10-15 dollars per every little bit of content/expansion that only adds very little to the game. Only inducing greedy thoughts brudda.

• @Cheesus:

Good luck finding an animator to do that huge amount of work.
    Also, dear god, don’t encourage the Torn Banner developers to become a small version of Electronic Arts, asking for 10-15 dollars per every little bit of content/expansion that only adds very little to the game. Only inducing greedy thoughts brudda.

Yeah, but EA started cranking out games and sequels in a matter of months with little to no creative thought put into it once they got big. And I wouldn’t have any grievances with paying $5-$10 for something like this, it helps small time developers out a lot. Put food on their plates and also encourages them to put out good DLC (Or even full on actual expansion packs that pretty much could count as a separate game, like Expansion packs used to be, ya know?)

• I don’t want Torn Banner to focus on another setting. The should put all their energies in perfecting vanilla version.
    I’m pretty positive there’ll be some decent mod teams in the future that can very well do a samurai mod. Was the same with M&B. Had my best moments in mods.

• @Cheesus:

Good luck finding an animator to do that huge amount of work.

$15 for all new themed models\ animations\ maps \ voice\ etc? $15 is a great deal for that.

• @Siegbert:

I don’t want Torn Banner to focus on another setting. The should put all their energies in perfecting vanilla version.
    I’m pretty positive there’ll be some decent mod teams in the future that can very well do a samurai mod. Was the same with M&B. Had my best moments in mods.

You may misunderstood. I dont suggest them to start doing it right now, but when the vanilla game is already perfect. So instead redoing entire Chivalry Game and release Chivalry 2, wish basically would only have better grafics, working on a “Sengoku” Game. Sell it in Japan and of course in the West, earn a lot of money (japanese market people would be able and also would spend 40-50 Bucks for a game with Chivalrys Grafics (japanese people do not care much about grafics but gameplay - at least the most). And then spend the new fresh money in a Chivalry version.

I know there will be mods, i would do one myself if no one starts modding… but the thing is that i want to support the devs a bit so if they would do it commercial (after vanilla is perfect) they would gain more money and if devs gain more money they can improve the game.

And the comparision with ea isnt quite good…
    1. You dont have to buy.
    2. Like the guy above me said.
    3. This Game is amazing, still i only paid 20 Euro for it. Battlefield 3 e.g costs 50 Euro in Vanilla state. So basically after buying 3-4 DLC´s you will still have spent less then the vanilla version of bf3 costs.

4. Torn Banner is a “Studio” wish was created by normal MODDERS of Half life 2. So they are small, have no money, even after Chivalry´s success they have most likely not a lot of money, they arent EA nor Activision, so only way to reduce their lack of money is to buy their products. If they would not release new products (like a Sengoku medieval warfare - for example) or DLC´s , they would went bankrupt. And even if they release a lot of DLC´s , i think after 1 or 2 years DLC´s there should be or has to be a new Game, cause honestly, imagine you purchase a game for 20 Euro but the DLC´s in total cost 200 Euro…

Would be awkward wouldnt it?

• Yes, there should be DLCs. First the vanilla game should be patched until it runs perfectly… then there should be more maps, game modes and hopefully customizations.
    That should help building up a decent fan base. I’d be okay with paying for it.

New theme based DLCs can be expected in 2 years maybe. Wouldn’t surprise me.

• I would happily support the developers by paying for additional content, obviously only if it’s substantial, like extra maps, weapons, customization and factions. I think they have a more than reasonable amount of content for 25 dollars, and I don’t expect them to build upon the game more without any additional funding from it.

My main problem with paid for additional content however is that it segregates the community and screws up map rotation on servers. I remember back when I played BF2 I made the mistake of buying the Euroforce expansions and such, only to find nobody played them.

• Facepalm First of all, a NEWLY FORMED Indie game developer team should stray away from such things as “Buy these maps, buy new weapons, buy gameplay changing mechanics.” As far as i know the only payed content the Torn Banner devs are going to release are most likely cosmetic based changes or expansions. Having players to pay for new weapons is a horrible, horrible idea, definitely since its an Indie melee based game. It would force the developers to balance every new payed weapon in the game, they’d have to find a way to make these weapons appealing so players would want to buy them, and would have to make more weapons throughout the years to keep the players interested.

It will most likely split the community into two, aka “The Regulars” and "The Premiums “Or what most players like to call Pay to Wins.” The premiums will have access to more equipment which hinders the regular’s ability to feel equal to the other players, gameplay wise.

Making players pay money just to play on a few new melee maps is not a good idea either, as said before it will split the community and people will lose interest because they’re restricted to certain maps unless they hand over more dough.

Expansions will always be pay to play. That’s a given (Unless the developers were feeling good about themselves and added free DLC’s). Like the Sengoku DLC, that’d be a super idea for the Chivalry development agenda and rank in a whole new huge community to this community. Thus enlarging the community and the amount of fun in-game.

Also we don’t know how much money this game is rolling in, unless someone would be so kind enough to tell us and give use the details of the average amount of money they’ve collected from this game. That will ease the mindset of Chivalry being low on money (Which i really doubt) and being forced to resort to “Pay to use” content in this game….

P.S. This isn’t an MMORPG or Xbox live where you have to pay for new stuff.

• @Cheesus:

Facepalm First of all, a NEWLY FORMED Indie game developer team should stray away from such things as “Buy these maps, buy new weapons, buy gameplay changing mechanics.” As far as i know the only payed content the Torn Banner devs are going to release are most likely cosmetic based changes or expansions. Having players to pay for new weapons is a horrible, horrible idea, definitely since its an Indie melee based game. It would force the developers to balance every new payed weapon in the game, they’d have to find a way to make these weapons appealing so players would want to buy them, and would have to make more weapons throughout the years to keep the players interested.

It will most likely split the community into two, aka “The Regulars” and "The Premiums “Or what most players like to call Pay to Wins.” The premiums will have access to more equipment which hinders the regular’s ability to feel equal to the other players, gameplay wise.

Making players pay money just to play on a few new melee maps is not a good idea either, as said before it will split the community and people will lose interest because they’re restricted to certain maps unless they hand over more dough.

Expansions will always be pay to play. That’s a given (Unless the developers were feeling good about themselves and added free DLC’s). Like the Sengoku DLC, that’d be a super idea for the Chivalry development agenda and rank in a whole new huge community to this community. Thus enlarging the community and the amount of fun in-game.

Also we don’t know how much money this game is rolling in, unless someone would be so kind enough to tell us and give use the details of the average amount of money they’ve collected from this game. That will ease the mindset of Chivalry being low on money (Which i really doubt) and being forced to resort to “Pay to use” content in this game….

P.S. This isn’t an MMORPG or Xbox live where you have to pay for new stuff.

1. Can you tell us your opinion in an more polite way please?

2. Can you probably try to be less aggressive? Calm down.

3. Did you actually read the thread? No one is talking about extra weapons for money, no one is talking about things wish give certain people an advantage. If you would just use your eyes and read, or your brain and think, it would be obvious that people who do not want to spend around 10 euro for a map pack, simply wont be able to play new maps. Like i said, the game costs 20 Bucks, its cheap as hell. And optical DLC´s are Dlc´s too arent they? And i think that your logic is kind of false, cause i would rather be pissed for optical things to buy than for Map packs and stuff… WHY? Cause it divides the games into premium and standart, because the guy with bought optical stuff would play on the same servers with the guy who didnt buy it. But if you would use your eyes you would get to the conclusion that if you do not buy a, for example map pack, you wont be able to play on servers wish activated the map pack. If you didnt buy the Mounts DLC, you wont be able to play on maps with mounts activated.

And super brain, another thing… how would you describe a Map pack, an new Gamemode pack, an Mount pack or Sengoku - Medieval Warfare?

YOU WOULD CALL IT (small) EXPANSION!

There you go

• @Kiritsugu:

@Cheesus:

stuff

I was just expanding on why pay to use content splits communities in half and leaves one player happy and one player ticked off.

@holdenmcclure:

My main problem with paid for additional content however is that it segregates the community and screws up map rotation on servers. I remember back when I played BF2 I made the mistake of buying the Euroforce expansions and such, only to find nobody played them.

Unless the developers are absolute experts at pay to use weapon development or gameplay changing mechanic development, they should avoid wasting time and resources on such thing. The only time they should add new game changing mechanics such as mounted cavalry and such is either through big patches or through expansion packs.

@Kiritsugu:

And super brain, another thing… how would you describe a Map pack, an new Gamemode pack, an Mount pack or Sengoku - Medieval Warfare?

I’d call those patches if they weren’t going to make you pay for a map pack or gamemode pack. Y’know, something that the developers did back when they were modders.

The mount pack or Sengoku would be expansions.

Why does this conversation sound like we’re talking about one of those console games that makes you pay for every small addition that isn’t retail? Meh, nevermind. Let us slowly step in the direction of the Thread’s Topic so we don’t throw this all out of wack.

–----

The Sengoku Medieval Warfare idea is extremely interesting, especially for an asian player. I could imagine 64 p servers just filled will japanese warriors with their fancy coolie hats and clan flags strapped to their back, fluttering in the air as they charge together and tear each other apart in an open field or japanese castle.

Chivalry medieval warfare has so much potential to introduce literally a “fuck ton” of ideas. For example a :
    Viking Expansion
    A Pirates expansion
    Chinese Romance of the Three Kingdoms Expansion
    Ancient B.C. Wars Expansions like Romantic Era or Persian Era
    Napoleonic Wars (Don’t know why anyone would want this, but it seems to excite a few people.)
    The Great Crusades
    the Invasion of Europe by the Mongols
    Starwars Expansion? lol Nevermind, Copyright issues would ensue.
    or a fantasy like expansion say Holy Paladins against Hellish creatures that plays alot like a massive Co-op.
    And last but not least, Zombies, medieval zombies to be exact.

And those are the few ideas i can come up with. There are so many possibilities that this game is able to achieve that its insane. Especially since this is the only game of it’s genre (FPSMelee) It’d pretty much dominate if the developers were able to rake out the content fast enough.

• Wow, you have really no idea about the Japanese market.

First of all, Japanase prefer console gaming over PC. The only games that sells well for PC in Japan are, hentai, visual novels, MMORPGs and stuff like that. Most people there doesn’t even have a PC that can play this game well.

Second of all, making a game based on Sengoku perod won’t make Japanese love it. They probably won’t even care about it. Shogun 2, (published by Sega, a Japanese company) didn’t even release the game in Japan. I think they know more about videogames than both you and me together.

There’s a reason why they don’t even sell it there. They don’t sell games where there’s no market for it.

So don’t say it’s a win-win for the developers, because that’s not true. It’s required a huge effort from the devs and it’s a BIG risk to localise it in Japan.

• A friend of mine who’s Japanese said exact same thing what GamingShyGuy said above. But he also added that “One of the reasons why Shogun 2 wasn’t even released in Japan was beacuse of the family names and difficulties.”

• @Easterlake:

A friend of mine who’s Japanese said exact same thing what GamingShyGuy said above. But he also added that “One of the reasons why Shogun 2 wasn’t even released in Japan was beacuse of the family names and difficulties.”

You mean the feudal clans? Uesegi, Takeda, Hojo, etc.?
    Yeah, the Japanese are very picky about their history and culture. Partially I like that but I see no reason for that example tbh.

A conversion of Chivalry in the Sengoku Jidai would be fantastic - if done right. I see a lot of potential “bullshit” connected to this topic. Like Ninja with super abilities and Katana that cut through everything and stupid myth like that.

If it would be authentic and carefully researched, yeah, I would love it.

• @William:

@Easterlake:

A friend of mine who’s Japanese said exact same thing what GamingShyGuy said above. But he also added that “One of the reasons why Shogun 2 wasn’t even released in Japan was beacuse of the family names and difficulties.”

You mean the feudal clans? Uesegi, Takeda, Hojo, etc.?
    Yeah, the Japanese are very picky about their history and culture. Partially I like that but I see no reason for that example tbh.

What I think he (my friend) meant was, those clans exists today as last names like Takeda, Usuegi and Amano etc. There still some people who think themselfs as the rightful owners of exactly that clan and that might cause a problem. More then you think…

• Sounds OK. I would prefer it however if not all games went down the Total War developer mindset and just create every type of historical setting they can without focusing on the gameplay elements.

I think it would be much more beneficial for Torn Banner to give out more map and skin editing tools to allow communities to make their own skins etc. Take for example the success of the Mount and Blade mods…

• The only mod i want to see is Lotr but seeing that is probably gonna be stopped by the copyright holders a Braveheart would be nice, only to run around with my big two handed William Wallace sword screaming FREEDOMMMM! 8-)

• Well the Torn Banner Studios can go the same way they did with Chivalry’s “Feudal Age” lore, just make a japanese esque game that doesn’t have to do with this universe at all. Change the clan names, symbols, and any other clan based object into something made up from imagination and wahlla, Japanese combat style game without pissing any families off.

Nobody said it has to be historically accurate. The weapons ,fighting styles and equipment, sure, but not the history. I’d still like to see a feudal japanese mod or expansion to this game.