Suggestions & bug fixing

• I have been playing Chivalry long enough to understand its mechanics, and I’ve found some aspects that I really don’t like, especially after having played cRPG (M&B:Warband mod) for two years.

1.- For instance, attacks do the same amount of damage if they hit at the end of the swing, which in Warband wouldn’t happen - it would bounce/glance instead (which is realistic). Sometimes, this fact looks extremely absurd, like watching a zweihander decapitate someone when the swing has almost stopped (and has barely any speed and force).

2.- Another frustrating aspect that I’ve found is that you can stab people at point blank range when the weapon is clipping through them yet it still harms. The worst case is when someone with a 1h sword “facehugs” you and starts stabbing at you - it’s impossible to block and kicking isn’t fast enough as to push him before he can stab again (probably because controls detection is poor at times). The same thing happens with 2h or any other weapon.

3.- Then there is getting stuck all the time: say a tree, a little rock, another player. I get stuck all the time when, in my opinion, I shouldn’t be. It’s as if we had hitboxes bigger than what the models represent.

4.- Also, many times I hit someone who had already started a swing, and he hits me back at the same time. On this case, I might be wrong, since Warband is a different game, but I just don’t understand why this should happen. In my opinion, all hits should stagger/interrupt.

So my suggestions are:

bouncing

point blank stabbing

hitboxes

• I’ll just comment on a couple of things.

impossible to block close range

It is possible to block/parry when players are really up close. In order to parry you have to aim your weapon at the tip of theirs, this becomes more difficult at close range. Make sure your weapon is facing theirs at all times.

many times I hit someone who had already started a swing

There are two parts to an attack, the wind up and the swing. If you strike someone when they are “winding up” you will interrupt there attack. But if there attack is “swinging” you will not interrupt it as the momentum will carry it through.

• Bump.

• One thing that bugs me is that people don’t get stunned / stagger when you hit them after the windup. Sure, I can take a arrow to the chest and still be able to cut of your head, cuz I’m a fucking tank.

• 1. Is definately a good idea, but implementation might be somehwat tricky (I dont know though) and it would require rebalancing the long weapons in the game. One of the things that could be done is to make switching to secondaries faster by being able to drop your main weapon and possibly pick it up later again. This would change the gameplay of vanguards and some knights considerably, adding variety to the game and possibly even encouraging teamplay. Also some weapons such as the polearm/halberd and flail could get around a shield.

• @Kuoin:

One thing that bugs me is that people don’t get stunned / stagger when you hit them after the windup. Sure, I can take a arrow to the chest and still be able to cut of your head, cuz I’m a fucking tank.

In the alpha, flinching initially applied no matter what point in your swing you were hit in. It was awful, though. Just absolutely awful.

• Not sure if this was mentioned before, but when being a vanguard, and having throwing knives / axe in your hand, i could no longer kick. As soon as switching to primary / secondary - kick would work again.

• Yes, I cannot kick while using throwing axes either. I thought the game was just like that.

• I believe not being able to kick with throwing weapons is a bug. Don’t quote me on that, though. MaA also can’t dodge when holding a throwable.

• Well, back on topic, do you think that, at least, they could fix stabbing when “hugging”?

• Bump!

I understand some of my suggestions are just part of the game mechanics, but, for the love of God, fix the fact that weapons hit when they are clipping through you (implement bouncing of weapons)!