Does anyone remember Die By The Sword?

• Loving the game so far, I’ve been waiting for something like this since Treyarch’s Die By The Sword back in 1998.

0z1HWiTv5Yk

Did anyone here ever play that? It had quite a unique melee control system (which they called vsim) where you essentially used the mouse purely for the sword arm and you could create unique sword swinging motions by dragging the mouse in different directions.

You could chop off any limb and that not necessarily be the end of the fight (you’d hop if still alive after losing a leg).

I’ve always been surprised that I never really saw this style of melee combat take off as it had so much potential. It’s what the motion controllers of today we’re meant for! ;)

• Sounds awesome. If the vsim was complemented by the game judging how powerful a swing of that kind would be, that would be revolutionary.

• Y, great game but ahead of its time. i think many wouldnt appreciate such control even now. shame. i know i wont forget that one till deep in dementia pply.

• Die by the sword was really fun, punishing as heck of you missed a good swing, but really rewarding when you saw opponents heads fly of. Oh and i loved the arena thingy. Was awesome to run around as an ogre and just mash people about.

• It had and still has the most “you’re actually swinging the weapon” feelings of any game. I’d love to see that polished up in something like Chiv.

I loved how you blocked by moving your sword into the path of the enemy weapon.

• Bought this on GOG, but had a lot of difficulty with the controls and kind of gave up. I should probably give it a shot again.
    Currently, my best memory is the intro somehow making me laugh when the monsters capture the hero’s girlfriend just by lifting her above their heads and running off, without a word of protest from her.

• Actually, I do. But I never played it, don’t know why either. Back then I basically played everything :P

• I remember playing the demo from a pczone cover disk… damn that was an unforgiving game.

More recently there was Severance: Blade of Darkness; a single player Chivalry-like experience.
    Another game way ahead of its time (2001), and also very hard.
    As I recall it even had a rudimentary multiplayer.
    It’s kind of saddening how little gaming has moved on in the past decade.

DRuudjlr7RA

• More recently Dark Messiah: Might & Magic was good too.

Z8AHuVSO_LA

• I remember Die By The Sword, played it a lot. That was the main reason I found out about M&B and from that Chivalry. It had a great control system which I haven’t seen equated, but it lacked ‘impact’ behind each blow. It was a lot like you would swing a lightsaber. And I think that’s the trouble with implementing that system in today’s games, how would you successfully incorporate being able to continuously move your weapon with the mouse but still having the feeling of impact behind every strike and parry? Having a few different attacks and a corresponding blocking system creates mostly the same feeling but makes it easier for players to comprehend (and I think it’s also easier for developers).

• Don’t forget about Rune
    bVM7t9eINYk

Die by the sword was amazing.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

I remember playing the demo from a pczone cover disk… damn that was an unforgiving game.

More recently there was Severance: Blade of Darkness; a single player Chivalry-like experience.

I’ll need to check that game out; the gameplay looks nice and from what I can tell it’s using the same engine as Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RtCW) did, which still looks nice and can support native 1080p+ resolutions whether or not the UI fully does.

• @gslashg:

Don’t forget about Rune
    bVM7t9eINYk

Die by the sword was amazing.

Didn’t play this Halls of Valhalla MP addon. But Rune’s coop (I believe it was a mod) is one of my dearest game moments of all time.

• @DeltaCentauri:

@TehJumpingJawa:

I remember playing the demo from a pczone cover disk… damn that was an unforgiving game.

I’ll need to check that game out; the gameplay looks nice and from what I can tell it’s using the same engine as Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RtCW) did, which still looks nice and can support native 1080p+ resolutions whether or not the UI fully does.

A decision you won’t regret it!

Though from Googling I don’t believe there is any widescreen support at all.

• Didnt Rune have this multiplayer gamemode called “plunder” or something? I remember one team attacking the defending team’s village and the objective was to trash everything and steal valuables back to the ship. You could hack and smash your way through wooden walls and stuff.

• @Kneecap:

Didnt Rune have this multiplayer gamemode called “plunder” or something? I remember one team attacking the defending team’s village and the objective was to trash everything and steal valuables back to the ship. You could hack and smash your way through wooden walls and stuff.

Maybe it was a mod or in the expansion but I don’t remember that game mode. I do remember flying on birds and bugs in a mod while hacking my friends to bits. There were a lot of good mods for Rune. I’m looking forward to the mods that come out for Chivalry.