First person view kinda blows…

• Not so much the view itself but it’s impossible to tell distance.

I’ll often miss with a stab with a brandistock or zweihander only to get nailed by a short warhammer from a distance that I just wasn’t able to reach myself not 1 second ago.

It’s often a cause of death because I think there’s no way a dagger can hit me from 10 feet away and then bam I get stabbed again cause I swung and missed some how yet the same guy is able to stab me, even tho I have a longer weapon.

I know it involves a lot of timing but still it’s a little ridiculous sometimes.

• Its because after you missed your swing the guy comes sprinting closer to you and strikes you.

• I feel the opposite, like I can’t tell distance in 3rd person but I can just fine in 1st. It’ll take some more practice, but you’ll get it.

• @Sultanofswing:

Its because after you missed your swing the guy comes sprinting closer to you and strikes you.

I get that but I’m saying I often miss when you’d think you’re definitely in range for a hit which ends up missing only to have the guy move 1 foot closer with a hammer and somehow hit you.

It’s just a matter of perspective I guess. I just hate being able to see the tip of a spear a foot away from my face but it still registers a hit. I’d rather see it go into me by seeing only the shaft.

• You have to remember that the weapon model shown in 1st person view is just a visible cue, it isn’t used for any kind of collision detection.

In that respect 3rd person should always be more accurate as your avatars weapon model occupies (approximately) the same location as its collision mesh.

A ‘real 1st person’ camera would be a nice addition; camera positioned in the avatars actual head position with rendering of the head itself disabled.
    The MB2 mod for JKA offered this option - it wasn’t particularly practical, but was a nice novelty.

• i actually feel the opposite OP. i can’t play on 3rd person AT all. if the game was only on 3rd person i wouldnt have bought it.

• @Carverk:

Not so much the view itself but it’s impossible to tell distance.

I’ll often miss with a stab with a brandistock or zweihander only to get nailed by a short warhammer from a distance that I just wasn’t able to reach myself not 1 second ago.

It’s often a cause of death because I think there’s no way a dagger can hit me from 10 feet away and then bam I get stabbed again cause I swung and missed some how yet the same guy is able to stab me, even tho I have a longer weapon.

I know it involves a lot of timing but still it’s a little ridiculous sometimes.

Distance is very hard to tell in this game.
    i agree with u op
    Not a problem for weapons of reach, shorter weapons tho uhhhh.

• @SOC:

I feel the opposite, like I can’t tell distance in 3rd person but I can just fine in 1st. It’ll take some more practice, but you’ll get it.

I agree, the only time I tried 3rd person I couldn’t hit anything. Judging distance was awful.

Judging distance for me comes down to experience. A new weapon is harder to judge than one I use on a regular basis.

• You will learn to better judge distance with practice and time really, especially if 1st person melee is a new concept to you. I bet it took me a few months myself in AoC, but practically everything I learn’t there I can use in Chivalry.

• @Martin:

You will learn to better judge distance with practice and time really, especially if 1st person melee is a new concept to you. I bet it took me a few months myself in AoC, but practically everything I learn’t there I can use in Chivalry.

Would (view of the Battlefield) help distinguish distance at all?
    if so what number would u recommend?

• If you mean FOV, I guess it’s a personal taste, but I’ll not stray away from 95 (default) as I’ve got to grips with it too much now.

• alrights coolzies man.
    thx 4reply

• OMFG, are you for real? This has to be the stupidest thing I’ve read in a long time.

It’s like saying, “Man, this sideways scrolling on mario is complete bullshit!”…

• @Swords:

OMFG, are you for real? This has to be the stupidest thing I’ve read in a long time.

It’s like saying, “Man, this sideways scrolling on mario is complete bullshit!”…

And this is the dumbest thing I’VE read. Way to give any explanation as to why you think so or what your dumb quote means.

Will changing the FoV affect gameplay that much? I play at around 110. Maybe that’s why it seems like they’re swinging from farther away?

Still bugs me that I can fully see a weapon in my face when it hits me like I mention earlier. Have it go “through” my body so I see the shaft or something.

• @Martin:

You will learn to better judge distance with practice and time really, especially if 1st person melee is a new concept to you. I bet it took me a few months myself in AoC, but practically everything I learn’t there I can use in Chivalry.

That pretty much says it all, stop posting frustration posts and practice, then you’ll see that its not that hard really. I can charge in with a overhead from a long distance with 99% accuracy. It is way easier than how it used to be.