Worst deliberate design choices

• There are some design choices in chivalry it seems, that probably are not going to be “fixed” because they are design choices (doh). But just so we could express protest, vote for the worst one.

“Superficial depth” - this means that the customization and choices in Chivalry have fewer gameplay implications.

• Stamina shouldn’t matter more, if it did it would slow down gameplay to the point that you would be staring at each other waiting for it to regen. Would have been better off with it not existing though and dodge having a smoother animation and slight cooldown. Why should heavy weapons like mauls get buffed against lighter ones, are they not strong enough already? Are people really complaining about maul knights not being able to fight dagger archers in melee? Not sure what the other options are supposed to be, but none of these are bad at all. The worst design decision is the terrible unlock system and I’m pretty sure that was because of time constraints as that should go with cosmetic items.

• I chose a dagger blocking a maul, BUT this can’t change as there is no way for an archer etc to dodge a knight’s attack due to the speed of an archer with a dagger not really being higher than a knight in full plate with a maul in his hand.

• Can we have vote options for the poor decisions that went into this poll.

• Sorry, I reset the poll adding options for those who have had nothing constructive to say. Please vote again.
    @NeoRussia:

Stamina shouldn’t matter more, if it did it would slow down gameplay to the point that you would be staring at each other waiting for it to regen

There could be many ways a stamina system could be put to use, like high pool, low regen. To me it feels like to you a new game is where you dont have the limits you had in a previous game, but I think our senses of what define how and how much we should be limited come from different worlds and therefore have varying and different limits.

• Voted for the lack of stamina drawbacks.

Neorussia does make a very valid point in his post, but at this point I just find it ludicrous how some heavy 2-handers can just keep spamming forever. I think it’d add far more depth to the game (a better use for secondaries for example), when heavy 2-handers have the ability to push out large portions of damage quickly, but they won’t be able to hold this up for long. One handers would have the advantage of consuming far less stamina in general, but at the cost of taking far more hits and less reach to take your opponent down.

Of course there’d be 2-handers and 1-handers in between. To nullify the problem of slowing down the pace of the game they could implement a feature that once you have your secondary pulled out you’d gain an increase in stamina replenishment. This would also, as mentioned above, increase the usage of secondaries.

Either way, I think there are plenty of possibilities to increase the stamina loss, while maintaining the pace more or less. I just find it horribly annoying to get past someone that keeps swinging a 2 meter long sword nearly forever. This is honestly my only complaint about the game, as it does quite destroy the immersion for me.

• The whole stamina thing is fine the way it is, in my opinion. Granted, one of my favorite games is Doom, where the player runs at insane speeds without any sort of stamina to slow him/her down (and carrying an arsenal of heavy weapons).

• A stamina system would force you to use your parrys and strikes smartly, cant have that, too hard. Not to mention youd have to be out of combat occasionally for 5 seconds, fucking boring.

But seriously, I think a stamina system is overall good for both gameplay and realism. Actually, fuck that, a stamina system would make me less superhuman, which really is fucking boring.

• Why do you want this game to be the same as AoC?

• @Janus3003:

The whole stamina thing is fine the way it is, in my opinion. Granted, one of my favorite games is Doom, where the player runs at insane speeds without any sort of stamina to slow him/her down (and carrying an arsenal of heavy weapons).

We need an addon that lets you use chainsaws, plasma cannons, shotguns, and the ‘Rawkit Lawnchair! ™’ with a few items like the rage multiplier. That and Quake/Unreal Tournament movement.
    Oh, and I voted stamina as my complaint; tad annoying.

• @DeltaCentauri:

We need an addon that lets you use chainsaws, plasma cannons, shotguns, and the ‘Rawkit Lawnchair! ™’ with a few items like the rage multiplier. That and Quake/Unreal Tournament movement.
    Oh, and I voted stamina as my complaint; tad annoying.

What about rocket jumping with the firepots?

• The worst deliberate design choice for me is that slashes do equal damage as overheads. But that may just be me still stuck in the Age of Chivalry mindset that Slash = Evil.

• TBS’ worst choice IMO is that they picked Multiplay as their official server hosting partner.

Come on guys, at least pick a reliable hosting company. Most preferrably, one that doesn’t pull this fake playercount bullshit.

• I think that instead of higher stamina consumption for parrying a maul with a dagger, they should recoil from the parry much like you do when you parry a vanguard charge attack with any weapon. That acts as a disadvantage for the dagger wielder as it pushes them out of range for a follow up attack, but also makes it so the Knight can’t dominate the dagger wielder just by M1 spamming like most dumb knights rightfully get punished for. Yes, it’s not realistic for a dagger to parry a maul, but it’s not fun to lose to a bunch of brainless M1 spammers either, and guess which option is better within the context of a video game.

• @ChJees:

The worst deliberate design choice for me is that slashes do equal damage as overheads. But that may just be me still stuck in the Age of Chivalry mindset that Slash = Evil.

Uh, Overhead has a 25% Damage modifier.

• About the stamina question, I agree, its hardly a factor in fights. I remember only one time I actually ran out of stamina, and that was in a drawn out duel with some random Man-at-arms who thought dodging was the coolest thing ever. He didnt even get in a hit, he was just dodging, and eventually both ran out of stamina, and he got stabbed in the back by my teammate.

Also, when it comes to daggers defending, it should definately have a larger stamina penalty when it comes to defending with it. Defending against a larger weapon should have a bigger stamina penalty.

In medieval times, daggers were often used, as it was weapon that they could use much more freely than any other weapon in tightly pressed melees. They used it to great effect against joints and other weak points in armour. In order to best represent this, the dagger should be an offensive weapon, not a defensive weapon. It should be a weapon you would be forced attack with, not just defend with.

• No comment on the recoil suggestion?

• Voted for “None” strictly because there is nothing that AoC did better than Chivalry. Even ranged combat isn’t strictly better in AoC because at least in Chivalry it’s a viable option.All of your options are just blatantly false.

Larger weapons already cost a lot of stamina to parry with a dagger, and you clearly have not tried parrying a maul with a dagger if you think otherwise. It costs 1/3 of your stamina bar to parry a maul with a dagger. That means after 3 successful parries you’re fucked.

Maps in AoC weren’t more open as a whole - a few of them were, sure, and they were among the worst maps, like AoC’s Battlegrounds (Chivalry’s battlegrounds is still pretty open, by the way) which was always infested with bad archers because there was no cover. Maybe you just remember the more open maps because AoC had more maps, due to existing a lot longer. Even the indoor areas in Chivalry maps aren’t very enclosed, like the extremely wide and archer friendly Throne Room, compared to some of the horribly claustrophobic maps in AoC like Tombs, or the final objective of Siege, not to mention all of the TF2-style chokepoint bullshit of Westerlyn.

Stamina most certainly matters. Perhaps it doesn’t matter enough in some cases, such as Knights with shields or MaA weapons, but try playing Man-at-Arms even without dodging and not running out of stamina quickly against any competent opponent with the amount you’ll lose from blocking. Or try using a heavy, slow weapon like the Maul and losing huge chunks of stamina feinting to try and get in that one hit you need. Vanguards would also consume a lot more stamina if their extremely stamina costly charge attacks were worth using. And kicks are one of the most stamina-costly things in the game, but they’re too situational at the moment.

Yes, AoC certainly penalized you more for being out of stamina - low stamina instantly cut your damage by half and when you had no stamina you could do literally nothing but walk until it very slowly regenerated - and that was a horrible system which slowed down the game. In Chiv you already lose many key functions when you’re out of stamina - you can’t feint, which is huge, and if you parry an attack you’ll be stunned, meaning if an enemy just keeps attacking you when you’re out of stamina there’s little you can do as you cannot counterattack.

“Superficial approach to depth” I won’t even bother to comment on.

• @SlyGoat:

Voted for “None” strictly because there is nothing that AoC did better than Chivalry. Even ranged combat isn’t strictly better in AoC because at least in Chivalry it’s a viable option.All of your options are just blatantly false.

Looks like moderators get chosen by the colour of their tongues. Somebody might need to defend the archers if they were weaker, and you sure can’t have that. It might require teamwork.

• @LKAH:

Looks like moderators get chosen by the colour of their tongues.

Wow so edgy and cool