Holding weapons up by holding mouse button pressed?

• I wonder if this would be a good feature in this game or not. For me it sounds cool, but who knows, it may screw up the gameplay or the combats. I hope you understand what i mean by holding swords up. Like when you sprint for a quite long time with a vanguard, who prepares his sword for attack.
    Also, it could be cancelled by pressing Q. So sometimes you have the problem that you are going to make a fke slash or a fake swing, and you want to cancell it, but you press Q too late and you make the swing, so by being able to do this, you could cancell it anytime and choose not to attack, and make more believable fake attacks that makes the opponent choose the wrong move. Somewhat like in M&B where you could leave your sword prepared.

• This wouldn’t work in Chivalry because you’ll be subtracting the entire windup time from the combined windup+release, which when mixed with non-held parries would just add more guesswork to the game rather than skill.

Actually, back in 2010, we did have this in Chivalry to begin with, before even combos existed, and it just didn’t work. You could walk up to a guy, go to attack, leave your weapon at the ready point, your opponent would have to guess whether to parry or not (like you have to do with feints now) and if they did parry, you just release the weapon when they go into parry recover. It was promptly scrapped.

• I’ve tried this in War of the Roses and didn’t care for it too much. And now that I’m studying medieval martial arts, I really don’t like the idea of holding your weapon out to “charge” an attack. All it does is telegraph your next move.

• @Martin:

This wouldn’t work in Chivalry because you’ll be subtracting the entire windup time from the combined windup+release, which when mixed with non-held parries would just add more guesswork to the game rather than skill.

Actually, back in 2010, we did have this in Chivalry to begin with, before even combos existed, and it just didn’t work. You could walk up to a guy, go to attack, leave your weapon at the ready point, your opponent would have to guess whether to parry or not (like you have to do with feints now) and if they did parry, you just release the weapon when they go into parry recover. It was promptly scrapped.

Why does parrying still work in M&B / WOTR then, if those games use the “hold attack until release” control scheme?

• Because Chivalry doesn’t have held parries.

Although, held parries were experimented with in Chivalry, in an effort to counter feints. You could hold a parry for up to double its base length, but if you did hold it for full length, your recovery would be slower than a non full length parry (unless you blocked) leaving you open for a bit longer. I’m not entirely sure why it was removed though.