Support options for Vanguard

• I’ve made mention once about how it seems like vanguards don’t attribute much to team games.

A Knight is a heavier defender, a MaA is a faster attacker, and an Archer offers the best ranged support. I think the only reason most people pick vanguards is because he has high range and damage, but that doesn’t really support allies in objective based gameplay as much as the others can.

I think the smoke pot offers a good support option by protecting allies from the sight of enemy archers. I think the vanguard could do with another support item to increase his support capabilities.

One idea I came up with is something like a slowing device that temporarily prevents sprinting. Either like a caltrops trap or something like a tar pot that gums up enemies. This would be useful for slowing down movements for defense, or for making easier targets for ranged.

But that’s just one idea. Anything that supports someone other than the vanguard using it fit this idea.

What do you think? Let me know.

• You never had a Knight with a tower shield blocking a door while being crouch for the vanguard to poke the attacker right? :P

I mean there are good in a lot of situation you just have to figure out what your team is trying to do and adapt.

I rarely play Vanguard, But as a knight i love finding a good vanguard to play with to combine our attack defense to confuse a player or a small group. Defending doors or objective ect.

• All the Vanguard needs is a buff to its sprint attack IMO to add weight to its front-line assault style. High damage when not blocked as it is now, however, ~70-80 stamina loss if you block it, rendering feints and kicks unusable unless the person who blocked it takes a step back for a second or two to regenerate. You should be wanting to avoid a Vanguard’s sprint attack at all costs; right now, it’s a bit of a joke, everyone tries to deliberately block them, which just results in both players being reset. Currently when you block one, you can still go on and do combos, feints, kicks etc as if you’ve practically just entered combat.

• @Martin:

All the Vanguard needs is a buff to its sprint attack IMO to add weight to its front-line assault style. High damage when not blocked as it is now, however, ~70-80 stamina loss if you block it, rendering feints and kicks unusable unless the person who blocked it takes a step back for a second or two to regenerate. You should be wanting to avoid a Vanguard’s sprint attack at all costs; right now, it’s a bit of a joke, everyone tries to deliberately block them, which just results in both players being reset. Currently when you block one, you can still go on and do combos, feints, kicks etc as if you’ve practically just entered combat.

Conversely, the VG loses a pretty big chunk of stamina to execute the sprint attack. So it actually just starts the VG at a disadvantage right now.

• I think killing enemies is a valuable team role.

• I hardly play the vanguard class but, from what ive seen their good.
    Reach and power good health, and a charge ability.

In my opinion vanguards are fine, i dont support options for vans.
    and a device to disable sprint? so u want magic brought into the game?

• @Helgeran:

I think killing enemies is a valuable team role.

……yeah that clearly sets the vanguard apart from the other classes :roll:

But right now the sprint attack is absolutely useless, if you don’t use it as a backstab move…working as intended? I don’t think so :D

Right now there’s no incentice at all to use it as an charge attack. It is ununblockable, because you see it coming from a mile away and it’s super slow. Maybe if you still took some damage if you parry it (something small ~20 damage), that could make it useful. Or what I would even like more: reduce the stun on the vanguard after a successful parry so that he has a speed advantage but not to the point that he gets a free hit…and while we’re at it: increase all sprint attack damage values to 100-105 (that’s what spear and halberd are doing right now). Doing less damage than a normal, faster attack makes the sprint attack even more useless (like it is now for bardiche and zweihander).

• @Rodelero:

I hardly play the vanguard class but, from what ive seen their good.
    Reach and power good health, and a charge ability.

In my opinion vanguards are fine, i dont support options for vans.
    and a device to disable sprint? so u want magic brought into the game?

What’s magic about that?

• After seeing many professional players play their classes, out of them all, I gotta say that the vanguard is actually pretty weak.

Archer can easily take down an vanguard with their projectiles.

Man-at arms can easily take them down with speed.

Knight has their tanking ability to beat the vanguard senseless.

Not saying that Vanguard doesn’t have a chance, the range of their weapons are their advantage, but the charge attack is just a weird joke as Blaine mentioned.
    If it would damage the opponents damage… then it would really be useful to make them do less combo, feints, kicks or jumps.

• Two small tweaks for VG that would help in general combat (ignoring the support options for now) - faster backpeddal speed, and not having step forward to make an attack if you’re backpeddaling when you do so (I seem to be the only one who’s noticed this feature, though. I find it really helpful for MaA and really hurtful for VGs).

• @wildwulfy:

After seeing many professional players play their classes, out of them all, I gotta say that the vanguard is actually pretty weak.

Not saying that Vanguard doesn’t have a chance, the range of their weapons are their advantage, but the charge attack is just a weird joke as Blaine mentioned.
    If it would damage the opponents damage… then it would really be useful to make them do less combo, feints, kicks or jumps.

where can i see these professional players play?
    i need to see this ;)

• @Blindga:

One idea I came up with is something like a slowing device that temporarily prevents sprinting. Either like a caltrops trap or something like a tar pot that gums up enemies. This would be useful for slowing down movements for defense, or for making easier targets for ranged.

did u edit and add caltrops traps/tar pots? becuase i didnt see this in the first read through.
    Thats where i was hinting at magic, like a spell to slow them down.

If edited I stand by what typed, if not then i made a misstake and apologize. 8-)

• @wildwulfy:

This is huge hyperbole on the other classes’ strengths. GREAT archers will be able to see and kill anyone they see. Men-at Arms will always be faster than everyone else, but they’re almost as glass cannon-y as archers. Knights take more hits than Vanguards, but that amounts to ONE MORE hit.

• @Rodelero:

@Blindga:

did u edit and add caltrops traps/tar pots? becuase i didnt see this in the first read through.
    Thats where i was hinting at magic, like a spell to slow them down.

If edited I stand by what typed, if not then i made a misstake and apologize. 8-)

It was in the original post. :D