Third Person.

• Why is third person not allowed in tournaments and clan wars, I don’t see any advantage in TP other than a wider view around your character yet the combat is way more clunky (I don’t know about other people but the crosshair is not aligned with the weapon even in TP mode on my screen).

The Darkage tournament does not seem to allow it and all official servers allow TP mode. Are we not keeping the game Vanilla for scrims anymore?

• Official servers also have 50% Friendly Fire, so even with 3P allowed the game would not be vanilla for scrims. AoC was never vanilla for scrims, either, with the class limitations.

• Nobody wanted to fight 10 heavy knights with hammers in a scrim so we wanted some variation, it’s an important given but a lot of people play in 3P and it doesn’t affect scrims or war (or whatever kids are calling them these days). 3P and 50% FF are vanilla, they were brought into the game from the start and are on all the official servers as well as almost all non official/dedicated servers.

• Any war or scrim should be DEFAULT settings IMO, any changing of this is just stupid… needed to add my 2 cents on this…

• The first vs. third person debate is a legitimate one, but scrims should always be 100% friendly fire. The game just plain demands full friendly fire - the decision to make it 50% by default was I think to soften the learning curve for new players.

• Third person allows you to see around corners without risking yourself, not to mention easy shield walling.

• lol@shield walling

Third person also obscures your vision from incoming attacks and feints, and makes your blocks and and attacks less precise. Blocking overheads can completely obstruct vision of the opponent with your own model because you have to look up.

I see third person as a good learner’s tool until you understand the swing animations. It’s a default part of the game. Every melee game except AOC used third person because it’s more natural for the player and provides the body awareness that you’d normally have. It’s natural to swivel your head while turning your waist and torso, but in AOC everything is locked to your eyes. If I’m swinging a bat and want to make adjustments to my swing, I don’t turn my head away, losing vision of my target - first person forces unnatural spinning to do what you want.

I’ve read the argument that third person makes you more aware of your attacks - and I say, so what?

• Lol easy shield walling? I don’t understand how that’s any different in third and first nor any effect on having a balanced battle between players. 100% ff, that’s fine, nobody would argue about it anyways but third person is a type of gameplay and it’s a basic function of the game.

• I wouldn’t like to see a darn thirdperson option in clanwars. It will JUST be abused to look around corners. Fuck that shit, down with it!

• I think that all of you have legit reasons for all of it, and if people would allow third person, how could third person be to someones advantage when everybody can do it? In combat it is also weak and in duels you are chanceless to a good 1st person(personal opinion).

However it does not comply to the game I want and I do not support it, for example if everybody plays 1st person in a scrim cause they find it the best, but they also use swapping between 1st and third to for example look around corners etcetc, and I would not worry about shieldwalls cause I havent seen one good shieldwall that do it’s purpose in my entire life.

A actuall medieval shieldwall would not just stand and take shit, they would actually try to retaliate, the idea with it is to make a solid line of defense that enemies cant get past or to advance into certain positions without getting shot.

Also I would like to define vanilla, is glitching vanilla to you? This game is far from done and alot has to come, calling this stage “cmw vanilla” is just meh.

• I think that it should either be 100% TP or 100% FP. I think that someone who masters the switching of the two during a match is going to be harder than someone getting used to either one or the other. I’m anti-TP, but I think that at the very least it should be set as one or the other.

• Just to clear up what I said. I was referring to one person being able to hold up a shield and still being able to see around him, or at all in the case of some shields. Not here to argue, just posting my opinion.

• how about remove 3 person view and tell them play mount and blade?

I dislike that there is a 3 person view anyway.

• I dont get how its unfair when the TP function is available to everyone. That simple string of logic alone dictates that its 100% fair. Just because you might be bad in 3rd person doesnt mean it shouldnt be allowed.

Not to mention like pegleg said, TP is a basic function programmed into the game. Kick is a basic function programmed into the game as well. I dont think kick is fair cuz you cant shield wall in scrims/regular play. Does that mean we should not allow it? No, its part of the game ffs.
    You cant censor a part of a game simply because you think its unfair. Once the programmers remove TP because THEY think its unfair, then yeah sure.

• If we want to remove it because of this around the corners bull (obviously because you guys want to keep a sense of realism) Then might as well remove crosshair as well. I don’t remember swords having those in medieval ages. If you’re trying to push for realism then go all the way instead of dabbing the foot in the water. Or are you not able to get kills without one? ;)

• @Peglegkickboxer:

If we want to remove it because of this around the corners bull (obviously because you guys want to keep a sense of realism) Then might as well remove crosshair as well. I don’t remember swords having those in medieval ages. If you’re trying to push for realism then go all the way instead of dabbing the foot in the water. Or are you not able to get kills without one? ;)

I don’t think many AoC vets would have an issue with that as there weren’t any then. You used to have to aim the bow based off the tip of the arrow. If the ranged weapons could be aimed without them I would be all for it. :p

• I’m all for the removal of crosshairs and third person. With arrows, All I use the crosshair for is aligning the middle of the shot. The tip of the arrow can easily do this as well. For swords I don’t think its really needed either.

The argument from 3p and 1p stems I think from the fact that I believe this game was designed to be played in 1p. 3p adds too many advantages to not use. So that’s why there has to be a limitation. Honestly, I’m not sure why there is 3p in the game anyway.

• It is there for play style preferences. I don’t want it out of the game because I know people enjoy it. But in competitive play both sides need to be set to the same standard. Hence the no 3rd person and in some cases class limitations(not weapons).

• @Vq.|Phoenix:

It is there for play style preferences. I don’t want it out of the game because I know people enjoy it. But in competitive play both sides need to be set to the same standard. Hence the no 3rd person and in some cases class limitations(not weapons).

With TP both sides would be set to the same standard. Unless of course someone on your team is incapable of hitting his p button. I don’t get how something available to EVERYONE is unfair to ANYONE.
    It’s not like only agatha can use TP or something….

@Malekous:

I’m all for the removal of crosshairs and third person. With arrows, All I use the crosshair for is aligning the middle of the shot. The tip of the arrow can easily do this as well. For swords I don’t think its really needed either.

The argument from 3p and 1p stems I think from the fact that I believe this game was designed to be played in 1p. 3p adds too many advantages to not use. So that’s why there has to be a limitation. Honestly, I’m not sure why there is 3p in the game anyway.

I think you just countered your own statement. This game was designed to be played in FP and TP obviously because TP is in the game…… Just because you dont start out in TP when you first install the game and join a server does not mean it was not “meant” to be used.

• This ^

Bumping thread