Remove item unlocks

• It’s just pointless. There’s really no reason for us to have to unlock the next weapon. What does it add to the game outside of an arbitrary sense of progression? It doesn’t really take any time at all to unlock them, which means it’s not a big deal for them to begin with, but if it doesn’t take that much time at all then why are they there in the first place?

• @Lg:

why are they there in the first place?

Because "Game Making 101’ says you need unlocks. I agree, they are pretty pointless.

• @Ingall:

@Lg:

why are they there in the first place?

Because "Game Making 101’ says you need unlocks. I agree, they are pretty pointless.

Hate wasting my time by pointless unlocking weapons which may turn out ineffective for me.

• I agree, though if they insist of having some sort of progression, why not more aesthetic things like different models for weapons. Hammer with a differently shaped head, or a bow with some flare on the staff.

Nothing game-changing, but still adds some sort of progression. Would work well with the idea of unlockable helmets too I think.

• the point of unlocking them is so a NEW player is able to experience every weapon and not jsut be thrown in with 61~ different weapons and be expected to know what ones to use.

• A new player has all the time in the world to try out all the weapons if they’d be unlocked at the start.
    Added bonus: He could try them out in single player first to find his prefered playing style, without the risk of constantly being stomped upon by veteran players.

• I really like the unlock system. It made me feel like I had a lot more to look forward to, gave me a sense of achievement when I reached each new weapon and I loved the feeling of progression. Maybe it’s just the RPG fan in me speaking, but I’m glad Chivalry has an unlock system and I’m looking forward to more and new weapons.

• … well … i like unlocks and achivements … it gives a “side-goal” and more longevity to the game … ive enjoy using every weapon so far … well except the javelin , this was a real pain in the arse to complete the unlocks

• My sense of achievement is actually getting better at the game. Arbitrary unlocks should be kept in MMOs

• I don’t really dislike the current system, but I would also be in favor of all of the weapons being available without unlock. If I wanted to earn anything, I think I would want it to be medals, achievements, banners, armor types, helmets, capes/cloaks (aw yeah), etc. instead of actual weaponry.

• @Vox:

the point of unlocking them is so a NEW player is able to experience every weapon and not jsut be thrown in with 61~ different weapons and be expected to know what ones to use.

Point denied, instead of letting him choose his weapon, you are forcing him to use other (often suboptimal) weapons to grind. What is more frustrating: Not knowing what weapon to pick, or needing 125 2H kills before you can also try out the fancy Zweihander your duel opponent is using?

A new player, could, you know, run around with sword #1 for 10 minutes, then try out 2H sword #3, etc. The ONLY thing the unlock system change is force you to do this in the order sword #1, sword #2, sword # 2H sword #1, 2H sword #2, 2H sword #2

Especially with how dodgy the progression saving system is (I lost 28 levels and a crapton of unlocks) I do not know why Torn Banner went with functional unlocks. There was a decently big thread on it in which most people agreed that they should be aesthetic or maybe sidegrades (People are already figuring out the best weapons for each class)

So yeah, functional unlocks suck. Boo.

• In my opinion weapon unlocks are there to give you a motivation to play more. That means that as long as you have weapons to unlock you will get bored less easily .

Perhaps a leveling system to show your experience of the game would be better although, that would have small unlocks like armors, helmets … and things like that to customize the appearance of your classes.

• maybe they could do liek a store with weapons and stuff

• @JakeLunn:

I don’t really dislike the current system, but I would also be in favor of all of the weapons being available without unlock. If I wanted to earn anything, I think I would want it to be medals, achievements, banners, armor types, helmets, capes/cloaks (aw yeah), etc. instead of actual weaponry.

I like the thread you’re going on with medals and capes. I wouldn’t want it to get too fancy, but I think that’s a cool idea. :)

• They are pointless as the Halberd and the Vangaurd is superior. Better reach, speed, and damage than most weapons. Cause face it, the only thing that really counts in this game is speed and reach.

• I’m okay with that system in general, it’s just the bugs that bother me (aka losing the progress on the current weapon).

• @Josephkhland:

unlocks are there to give you a motivation to play more.

Enjoying the game is my motivation to play more. Thinking unlocks make the game more enjoyable is something I will never understand. They might give the compulsives who chase meaningless digital trophies something to do, but then you’re just grinding for the sake of it. Winning a one on one, lighting the pyre or killing the king are the only ‘achievements’ I can be bothered with.

• Having unlocks also makes me play varied classes instead of sticking to the one I favour most. Once I get that third weapon, then im on to a new class/weapon to unlock all of that. Keep the unlocks.

• @tracknumberseven:

Having unlocks also makes me play varied classes instead of sticking to the one I favour most. Once I get that third weapon, then im on to a new class/weapon to unlock all of that. Keep the unlocks.

What???

Unlocks PREVENT people from changing classes forcing them to play one class and one weapon until the weapon of your choise is unlocked.

I have spent few evenings unlocking weapons it turned out I do not like at all!

If you can not control yourself and cannot recognize your intentions - nothing will keep you from playing boring. I want ME to decide which class to play and what weapon to master! I do not want to spend entire evenings to find out that some weapon sucks for my playstile.

Give the ability to test ALL the wepons against bots (to decide what to unlock) or unlocks must go!
    No Lineage shell pass!

• Having unlocks also makes me play varied classes instead of sticking to the one I favour most. Once I get that third weapon, then im on to a new class/weapon to unlock all of that. Keep the unlocks.

Yeah that’s its main purpose, alongside the feeling of progression. Everyone wants to unlock everything at the start, so it encourages you to use every weapon and class whilst you’re brand new to the game. After a couple of days play, you’ll have everything in the game and if you want to play 1 single weapon on 1 single class for the next 1000+ hours of gameplay, that’s entirely your choice (and there are people that do that). There’s no grind involved with the weapons, 100 kills takes just a few maps to get you to grips with it enough so that by the time you stop using it, you’ll at least better understand how to use it somewhat so you can make a better informed decision on what weapons suit your playstyle. If you give 60+ weapons to a new player right off the bat, they get overwhelmed quickly and instead would take the stats for face value (and jump straight to the weapon they think is best when that may not suit their playstyle), which for the most part, needs a radical overhaul anyway.

• @BoBBer:

@tracknumberseven:

Having unlocks also makes me play varied classes instead of sticking to the one I favour most. Once I get that third weapon, then im on to a new class/weapon to unlock all of that. Keep the unlocks.

What???

Unlocks PREVENT people from changing classes forcing them to play one class and one weapon until the weapon of your choise is unlocked.

I have spent few evenings unlocking weapons it turned out I do not like at all!

If you can not control yourself and cannot recognize your intentions - nothing will keep you from playing boring. I want ME to decide which class to play and what weapon to master! I do not want to spend entire evenings to find out that some weapon sucks for my playstile.

Give the ability to test ALL the wepons against bots (to decide what to unlock) or unlocks must go!
    No Lineage shell pass!

Listen,

The game is the way it is, it has been widely successful and it has weapon unlock quotas which aren’t hard to fill as Martin has mentioned above.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love the approach the Dev team is taking and listening to the playerbase via forum communication but with that said, I don’t agree with players asking the people that have created the game, their way, to modify their game constantly to suit said players. It’s their game, you bought it as is, and you still play it.

At the end of the day, all a game essentially is, is a set of rules. You operate within those rules to play the game. The moment you start changing the rules to make it easier or less complicated, the game itself goes out the window. The same effect can be felt when playing a single player game that you put on Easy mode, or use cheats to give you godmode.

This isn’t a flame or a jibe at you personally BoBBer, just an informed statement, no offense intended.