1st person vs 3rd person

• On pub servers, the first advice everybody tends to give is to press P twice. The situation awareness offered by 120 FOV 3rd person offers a staggering advantage in most situations compared to using the 1st person view.

Of course, archers should stick with 1st person views, and 1st person view will be useful for precision blocks/strikes in duels. Most of the fights in the game tend to be group efforts though, and precision plays a much lesser role when most of the killing blows come from the behind or the sides.

Which mode do you usually play Chivalry in? Nowadays I nearly exclusively use 3rd person, with the only exception being when I use a spear-type weapon on Vanguard.

• Although I’m well aware of all the advantages 3rd person view would give me I’m still a devoted follower of the glory of 1st person. It’s scientifically proven that anyone who uses 3rd person view is a very silly person who should be ashamed of themselves.

• Playing in 3rd person like I do in all melee games. 1st person is just horribly confusing plus I like to see my character perform the cool moves.

• For me, 1st person is much more immersive, and you really feel like you are in the battle.

• The sound positioning is so good in this game that you don’t need 3rd person to have a better view around your character. 1st view is much much better imo as long as you open your ears ;)

• first person or bust!

• I play exclusively MAA (usually norse sword) and I am in 1st person at all times. MAA requires such precision in judging distance, blocking, dodging, and thrusting that I don’t see how anyone could play in 3rd effectively unless they resort to spam. Every single fight is a micro-duel for MAA since getting hit once with any weapon at any time is unacceptable.

As for being able to see slightly to your sides in 3rd person, it doesn’t really benefit me that much. I rely on sound and footsteps, and if I’m waiting for that vanguard to enter my 3rd person view from the side before I react, I’m already dead.

• Two-Handed weaponry and Polearms are the best 3rd Person View weapons. ;)

• Playing in third person just ruins the experience for me. I usually play on first person only servers so I don’t have to face people playing with the advantage.

• @SlyGoat:

Playing in third person just ruins the experience for me. I usually play on first person only servers so I don’t have to face people playing with the advantage.

Oh, there are 1st person only servers? I guess those aren’t present in ANZ region yet. I admit, from a gaming experience perspective I prefer 1st person more (just like DayZ). However on normal servers playing 1st person against people in 3rd person can be a huge disadvantage when the player count is fairly high.

• So far I know of the Vanquish server and Vandrick’s server which enforce first person only and also 100% friendly fire. They’re both east coast though I think.