What's with getting hit before you can block again?

• Surely if you successfully block an attack you should be able to block again before they can attack again no?

• What’s with threads popping up, giving no explanation about weapons, blocking method or classes that were being used and then trying to discuss gameplay features that rely on that information.

• @UsF:

What’s with threads popping up, giving no explanation about weapons, blocking method or classes that were being used and then trying to discuss gameplay features that rely on that information.

Well it doesn’t matter does it, they already know about the million things wrong with gameplay atm and are ‘working’ on it.

• When you successfully block a weapon, you should be able to block another attack, since the block will stun the opponent for a short amount of time. Therefor it is important to mention what weapon/blocking weapon you were using, otherwise it appears to just be a rant with no valid information.
    Even quick sidearm weapons like the hunting knife can be blocked multiple times in a row. However if you miss a block and he strikes you, it might feel like he is punching you through your blocks, while actually the strike passes your block, since have trouble aiming at the tip of his weapon in the moment of panic.

• I agree, I think any weapons that can land “guaranteed” two hits should be nerfed. The Norse sword and daggers come to mind.

• Just an FYI, even with the slowest weapon in the game (Maul) vs the fastest weapon in the game (Any dagger, really), you can block (Successfully) and then proceed to strike without getting flinched in the process. However, if you play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as if it is a turn based game and wait too long to do so, then the opponent will be able to repeatedly land strikes on you.

That’s more of an issue of the player rather than the game, however.

• @JackBaldy:

Just an FYI, even with the slowest weapon in the game (Maul) vs the fastest weapon in the game (Any dagger, really), you can block (Successfully) and then proceed to strike without getting flinched in the process. However, if you play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as if it is a turn based game and wait too long to do so, then the opponent will be able to repeatedly land strikes on you.

That’s more of an issue of the player rather than the game, however.

If you attack against a dagger, he blocks, he can initiate an attack before you have time to recover and parry. Not sure with the Norse sword stab, I think you can parry that… but it’s incredibly hard to do.

• @UnknownXV:

If you attack against a dagger, he blocks, he can initiate an attack before you have time to recover and parry. Not sure with the Norse sword stab, I think you can parry that… but it’s incredibly hard to do.

This is actually true, some weapons get “free” counterattacks if you’re up close enough, because the recovery period after being parried is longer than their combo windup time off of a successful parry. I believe this is an issue the devs are aware of, and will probably be removed for all weapons but daggers, which are already rather weak.

However, the OP appears to be saying that he’s blocking an opponent, and the opponent is attacking him before he can block again. I think he’s referring to blocking, making an attack, and then trying to block again. This is also true, however, you should take it into account and not just blindly attack after a parry if you’re using a slow weapon that you know won’t kill them in one hit.

• L2P.

Every counterattack after block can be parried . Every. Including the dagger. If you can’t, that just means you haven’t actually taken the time to explore the combat.

Scrubs need to learn the basics before posting balance topics on forums.

• I just want to point out, this is on the bug list under issues requiring investigation as it’s not something that is actually confirmed nor denied yet, but I have witnessed it with several weapons personally myself, and lag may or may not be playing a part:

Counter attacks are providing faster than normal windup times on some occasions, resulting in some counter attacks being able to cause damage before the parried player can parry again.

• Then somebody submitted an inaccurate bug report.

Add me, jest, on steam and we can duel on a private dedicated server.

• @j3st:

Then somebody submitted an inaccurate bug report.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/slygoat

• @j3st:

Then somebody submitted an inaccurate bug report.

Actually, I can prove one case using nothing but timings:

Parried lasts for 0.8s, this means the moment you’re blocked, you cannot attack, nor parry, for 0.8s.

When a player blocks an attack, they play a parry hit animation, which acts as a buffer before they can attack again, this buffer lasts for 0.3s.

So, all you do is add 0.3 + the windup time of say, a dagger stab, which is 0.3s + approximately 0.15-0.2s for release (0.25s max for broad dagger stab). If this number comes below 0.8s, you get a free hit. At point blank range, hitting earlier in the release is possible. 0.3 + 0.3 + 0.15 = 0.75. You can hit 0.05s before that player can parry again.

There are two ways of solving this issue.

1. Increase the buffer from 0.3 to 0.35 or 0.4
    2. Decrease parried from 0.8 to 0.75 or 0.7

I may or may not be correct with these figures though, but I’m fairly sure. Tibberius or Mike could confirm 100% though.

Edit: Actually thinking it about, there is also that impression of counter attack windups being faster than what they would normally be from idle, but I literally don’t understand counter attack windups whatsoever anymore, they don’t have separate animation times, but to me, they feel like they are definitely faster. That is also a third solution to look at.

• Frame data is off or you’re not accounting for something. What’s your name in steam, Martin? I just showed Sly.

• @j3st:

Frame data is off or you’re not accounting for something. What’s your name in steam, Martin? I just showed Sly.

I will have to agree with j3st. I just tested a maul vs a broad dagger and a norse sword. No quick parry attacks were “free.” Including quick parry stabs. The player using the maul was capable of parrying the quick parry attacks from the norse sword/dagger player after the player wielding the maul was successfully parried.

• I have a feeling that ping times have a lot to do with this. I’m far from the best player around, but my parry times are pretty damn good, but I played against Jest yesterday and quite often couldn’t parry his parry combo dagger attacks. I think our pings were 50-60.

• Unknown, your timing was simply off. I get into prison fights with players who have 100+ ping and they can parry my 100% speed dagger counters, every time.

• @j3st:

Unknown, your timing was simply off. I get into prison fights with players who have 100+ ping and they can parry my 100% speed dagger counters, every time.

Again, I will have to agree with this. The person which I tested quick parry counter attack parrying lives on the west coast and gets around 100+ ping. He also had no problem parrying any of my quick parry counter attacks and vice-versa.

• To be honest, it’s possible my timings were off fighting against that dagger. I’ve never really played against someone using it effectively like that.

I will say though, the window for parrying it is incredibly small. Using the dagger // Norse sword with a man at arms, in the hands of a skilled player, isn’t balanced. Yes, it takes more skill to play MAA well; but the skill ceiling is higher than other classes. That’s not balanced.

I wouldn’t want high level play to become a dance between man at arms only.

• @UnknownXV:

To be honest, it’s possible my timings were off fighting against that dagger. I’ve never really played against someone using it effectively like that.

I will say though, the window for parrying it is incredibly small. Using the dagger // Norse sword with a man at arms, in the hands of a skilled player, isn’t balanced. Yes, it takes more skill to play MAA well; but the skill ceiling is higher than other classes. That’s not balanced.

I wouldn’t want high level play to become a dance between man at arms only.

To claim that any dagger is overpowered is a bit laughable, no offense. The Norse Sword however, is a different story. A whole different can of worms.