Communications addition: targetting objectives

• EDIT: I’ve changed the topic title back into something non-sexy from “Sexy wench mode” because some people actually didn’t get the joke, and then others just ran with it and ignored the actual topic. I hate people. :EDIT

COMMUNICATIONS ADDITION: Targetting system

My suggestion is fairly simple, though I don’t know how programmatically (or UDK-wise) complex it is.

It is:

1. In Team Objective modes, let players choose a “target” objective they wish to pursue. Here, objective = anything with an objective triangle around it.
    2. At each Objective marker, let players see a number below or beside it: this number is just how many people have picked that target as their preferred objective.
    3. No other effects.

Instead of people having to communicate “everyone get to trebuchet 1” or treb 3 or whatever, they pick one as their preference, and everyone on the team will see that at least one person wants to target treb 3 (if they look that way). In theory, this will help with coordinating attacks, as people see where others are pushing.

EDIT:

An even more complex variation of this is to define certain roles (like picking out archers in Stoneshill cart pushing), and show how many have picked that as their role. Nothing binding or that has an effect in-game, just communication and information what others are doing or want to do.

• No. I like the minimalistic HUD as it is right now. Adding bunch of these ‘tactical’ markers ruins the immersion. You’ve been playing too much BF3 son.

Everyone should get a mic if you don’t want them to type.

• I wouldn’t mind a system where you can look at an objective, press “E” and your player shouts something specific about that objective. It wouldn’t be intrusive and would be a quick dynamic way to have players yell about what they are looking at.

• I want wenches.

• Wenches could be on hand to serve players with (virtual) ale, much like cyclists on Tour de France. You can stop and talk to the wenches, but if anything happens her peasant father will demand that you be permanently married and attached to the wench even in the midst of battle until you change steam id. Or you could throw her in the well.

• @ReMixx:

I want wenches.

Can they be buxom?

• @Ingall:

Can they be buxom?

Who am I to discriminate?

• Poorly chosen name aside, I have to disagree. I don’t want more menus and keys to navigate. Just keep the HUD how it is now.

• I don’t like the name. And I must of agree with everyone else– I like the existing HUD. Super minimalist, no frills. Just me and my bloodstained gauntlets.

• @POOP:

No. I like the minimalistic HUD as it is right now. Adding bunch of these ‘tactical’ markers ruins the immersion. You’ve been playing too much BF3 son.

There is no need to be patronising, even if you happen to be old. I have never played BF3.

@Blindga:

Poorly chosen name aside, I have to disagree. I don’t want more menus and keys to navigate. Just keep the HUD how it is now.

@Livipedia:

I don’t like the name. And I must of agree with everyone else– I like the existing HUD. Super minimalist, no frills. Just me and my bloodstained gauntlets.

The thread was up for half a day with zero replies so I changed it to something to get replies. Don’t blame me you are all horny primates…I mean, I left it over night and the amount of replies has increased by a ratio of infinity to one! That’s a big ratio!

Anyhoo, the HUD already has tactical markers. This would add one thing: a number after the name, like “Trebucher 3 (3)” Or maybe dots or something.

I also left out the mechanism by which people would use it, and you automatically presume it’s going to be somehow byzantine or complicated or destroy the pristinity of the UI, like it’s a virgin ravaged by the unstoppable vikings of change. It could be really simple, like pointing at the tactical objective you want (at a distance) and hitting PgUp (PdDown is something about assassination targets, iirc). And of course it wouldn’t have to be mandatory.