Help with being an archer…

• I have unlocked every weapon for every other class so i decided to move on to Archer… Boy was I in for a surprise, I just cannot get used to this class, no matter what I do or how I play I might manage maybe 5 kills in a game compared to up to 25 using a mele character… Can anyone help me out with some tips??

• Practice with melee. Don’t be afraid to draw your weapon and get into melee before they come bearing down on you with your bow half drawn. Get used to stabbing with the Shortsword and overheading with the Cudgel. The latter is a better choice when the field is dominated by Knights, the former when it mostly consists of Vanguards. Once you are comfortable with melee with these weapons, go back to primarily ranging and just use the melee for when the situation arises.

• If nothing else, only parry when enemies get close then run back to your team mates and them fight for you.

• People get way overconfident and rush archers (because only 1 in 100 archers actually fights back instead of dying while running away/spamming more arrows).

Abuse it. They never expect you to actively fight them, so it’s easy kills.

• I am totally used to melee, even with archers, the thing is I want to unlock all the bows! So I need tips as far as ranged combat. I swear I will see other archers getting headshots left and right and snipe from across the map and I just don’t get it.

• There is 0 spread on the Bows when you are crouched, they are 100% accurate, assuming you can line the Crosshair up with the centre (or almost-centre, the Crosshair itself is slightly off centre, which is quite funny). When standing, arrows can veer off slightly. Crouch just before you fire that arrow!

• @Martin:

There is 0 spread on the Bows when you are crouched, they are 100% accurate, assuming you can line the Crosshair up with the centre (or almost-centre, the Crosshair itself is slightly off centre, which is quite funny). When standing, arrows can veer off slightly. Crouch just before you fire that arrow!

In my experience the Crosshair means nothing. I can fire 100% accurate shots even while jumping. Just use the top and bottom part of the crosshair to find the center of the screen.

For Archer melee i have this: Attack first or die. Get used to initiate early stab attacks with the Shortsword. You may just flinch them and get a free hit :).

• Well, if you stand in a single spot and aim at a log or other object and don’t move your mouse whatsoever, all standing shots will show arrows in different spots, and crouching will show all the arrows embedded into each other with no deviation, that’s how you can test it and be sure yourself.

• Some tips:

• Take your time, dont guess-shoot into a crowd.
    • Use the (stupid) arrow-cam to get an idea on long range shots.
    • Never stop moving, other archers just wait for that.
    • Aim for the chest or back, only go for the head if its a stationary target.
    • Get closer, behind your fighting troops and support them from close to medium range.
    • Know when it is time to run!
    • If someone is charging you and running is no option - wait until they attack/swing and put an arrow through their throat. Works very often.
    • Watch the flanks for loners - easy kills.
    • If possible go somewhere with cover near you

Just dont try long range engagements in the beginning and without the warbow, it is pointless. When I started out, I did not hit shit. Now I sometimes lead the board after a TO round - even if some players still cant imagine this might be possible.

Most important thing? Be dedicated, dont quit. The learning curve is flat, but it is there ;)

• The archer will rarely top the scoreboard. If you play them right, however, you will rarely die. Like others have said, know when to retreat closer to your teams spawn. I often end up with almost 20 kills and only 4-10 deaths. Don’t expect high kills when melee weapons are sometimes taking out 2 enemies with one swing. Also as others have said… you will love the warbow and heavy xbow a lot more then the first 2 unlocks. Just play ffa and get kills… but be prepared for many 1:2 kd ratios as archers suck in ffa. As an xbowman, use that pavise shield!

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOZeA_ … ature=plcp
    Youtube series I’m working on, the 2nd episode will hopefully be out tomorrow if Sony Vegas will render my vids correctly.

• @Tree0ctopus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOZeA_H_Kg&list=UUqylWmQjFmeK9Bip9A03vSg&index=1&feature=plcp
    Youtube series I’m working on, the 2nd episode will hopefully be out tomorrow if Sony Vegas will render my vids correctly.

Nice vid…you are good at melee. As am I. Which is a great skill as archer. I try not to partake in melee unless absolutely neccessary. I am currently mastering crowbowman. It includes a lot of setting up defense with your pavise shield and knowing when to pick it up and move forward/backward. Its really great against other archers…I rarely die because I retreat back to my team if need be. It brings the element of survival to a game that is based on a lot of dying and running back into the fray and dying again.

• Ya, I’m pretty efficient with all the archer weapons, but by far the best with the warbow. I think I will soon try to make some vids on each individual archer weapon.