MAA forward dodge stab needs to go!

• I usually am on duel servers but they are ruined now, its now mostly full of MAA using forward dodge stabs and there is no way you can defend against it. This jedi dodge crap needs to go! :(

• Only because its an efficient methode of fighting, doesn’t mean that it has to get “fixed”. Try to practice on how to counter them instead of making a frustration post on the forums.

A bit of reaction practice and you’ll get’em. . . Unless they got more tricks around their sleeves.

• @wildwulfy:

Only because its an efficient methode of fighting, doesn’t mean that it has to get “fixed”. Try to practice on how to counter them instead of making a frustration post on the forums.

A bit of reaction practice and you’ll get’em. . . Unless they got more tricks around their sleeves.

Not really, it’s pretty broken. It does need to go. I’m rank 39 and beat a lot of MAA Norse sword forward dodge stabbing exploiters consistently, but it’s anti-fun.

• In a 1v1 fight, the MAA is a great duelist who has a fair number of options in how he can control an opponent. The 1v1 duel is probably the single best scenario a MAA can hope for, as the MAA’s dodge ability burns a lot of stamina, but vs a single opponent you can afford some stamina management without any pressure from other threats.

With that said, let’s then imagine a team of 2v2, with a knight and archer vs a MAA and archer, and suddenly MAA is in a craptastic scenario where he’s at a disadvantage vs either opponent, and will have a really hard time getting to the enemy archer while the knight protects it. In this scenario, the MAA is at a disadvantage facing the knight or trying to go after the archer. A single hit from the knight while the MAA goes after the archer could be fatal, while a single arrow from the archer when engaged with a defensive knight could also be fatal. The MAA having a dodge/lunge stab in this scenario is not game breaking or an automatic win in this 2v2 fight.

There are countless matchups and scenarios that you can have in this game, and MAA right now is at its best in a 1v1 duel. If you stack a team of MAAs with norse swords in a team objective match, they are not going to have enough role flexibility or staying power to succeed vs a well-rounded enemy team with mixed classes.

As some advice for when dueling a MAA, remember that he burns up a lot of stamina when dodging/lunging, so it helps to wait for him to burn that stamina initially by playing defensively. When you’ve parried or just avoided a few dodge steps by focusing on defense, you can then move in offensively and force him to waste more stamina by either dodging defensively or parrying your attacks. Do not give him a chance to breathe after he’s done those first few dodges/lunges. Eventually you’ll hear the MAA making the “gasping for air” recovery sound from being out of stamina, and you can cut him down since he can’t dodge or parry/block. If alternatively the MAA decides he’s going to play you defensively and not open with dodges/lunges, then the typical faking and kicking/shield bashing strat applies as usual until you get him to start burning stamina, or he dies from being overly defensive.

• I don’t think the forward dodge is OP, anytime I fight a MaA that uses this tactic, I just attack before he’s able to close in and keep a certain distance and literally let him jump into my blade. It’s all about prediction.

• well … i play 99% of the time MAA … and i have to say that my worst nightmare is a good knight with a kite shield and warhammer or sword of war , you should try it , im a very lethal mma but for some reason this combination in the right hands is literaly a maa killer

• @batman666:

well … i play 99% of the time MAA … and i have to say that my worst nightmare is a good knight with a kite shield and warhammer or sword of war , you should try it , im a very lethal mma but for some reason this combination in the right hands is literaly a maa killer

why the hammer, it is a blunt weapon that should be good for plate armor, MMA dont have plate…

but yea i play knight and have no trouble with mma guys, they jump in to the shield a few times :P
    and then i use the 1handed kill them

• No matter what, you can’t deny that the dodge is a bit too much, i don’t call it the jedi dodge for nothing. :?

From the chivalry page:

“We wanted to capture the experience of truly being on a medieval battlefield. To accomplish this we drew on our inspiration from epic swordfighting movies such as 300, Gladiator and Braveheart.”

I can’t remember small dudes with leather armor dodging like ninja’s. :P

It’s not the dodge to left and right that bothers me, but the forward dodge where you can stab immediately, i tried it myself as maa and people just get overwhelmed and barely can defend against it (and im not that good). I think it would be better looking to make it not really a fast jedi dodge but more a small fast side jump, as you would jump out of someones swing in real life.

• Hm I think you could slow the dodge down a bit (~10% or so). I’m not talking about a windup here, just simply slowing the animation. While most animations are quite slow and thus quite easy to block, the dodge is very fast. One could say that all defense options are very fast (parry, shield block). They need to be substantially faster than attacks, othrwise they would be useless. But other than parry and block, the dodge can (and should) also be used offensively….and I think that’s the reason why it should be a tad slower.

• @Shara:

I don’t think the forward dodge is OP, anytime I fight a MaA that uses this tactic, I just attack before he’s able to close in and keep a certain distance and literally let him jump into my blade. It’s all about prediction.

+1

Double swing works fine. Let your first swing miss - he will jump happily in your second one and lose his head.

By the way Shara, I got that from your great tutorials! Thank you very much for those! ;)

• @Shara:

I don’t think the forward dodge is OP, anytime I fight a MaA that uses this tactic, I just attack before he’s able to close in and keep a certain distance and literally let him jump into my blade. It’s all about prediction.

-That’s the thing,what really excited me about this game when i played alpha was that you could actually SEE what your opponent is doing, you can react to it instead of guessing what he is going to do. In age of Chivalry for example, it was all about prediction, it was all about guessing and i hated that, in CMW you don’t have to guess as much because you can actually see what they are doing.

-However, the MAA forward dodge is too fast to see, like you said you have to predict or guess that he is going to do it.

-It shouldn’t be like that it makes it to much like AOC when an attack is so fast that you can’t even see it coming.

• The Norse Sword is overpowered. Forward dodge is largely ineffective with any other weapon because even with the dodge being a nearly instant teleport you have time to react to the swing itself - Norse Sword is just so fast you can barely react to it if it’s initiated right before a dodge.

• You can indeed watch his movements, but at the moment, there is allot of lag on the servers going on, if you are above 100 ping, the hits will come earlier than the animations, making it sometimes impossible to defend. :(

• @SlyGoat:

The Norse Sword is overpowered. Forward dodge is largely ineffective with any other weapon because even with the dodge being a nearly instant teleport you have time to react to the swing itself - Norse Sword is just so fast you can barely react to it if it’s initiated right before a dodge.

i thought it was useless, the norse sword for real was wicked, ingame it is rather pathetic, they changed it from being brutal to a dancers sword
    norse sword 100cm and 2kg and in game it is like a samurai sword in speed, but 0 dmg :P

• Try stabbing with it ;)
    It’s one of the most powerful weapons right now…especially on a maa.

• @Belnick:

@SlyGoat:

The Norse Sword is overpowered. Forward dodge is largely ineffective with any other weapon because even with the dodge being a nearly instant teleport you have time to react to the swing itself - Norse Sword is just so fast you can barely react to it if it’s initiated right before a dodge.

i thought it was useless, the norse sword for real was wicked, ingame it is rather pathetic, they changed it from being brutal to a dancers sword
    norse sword 100cm and 2kg and in game it is like a samurai sword in speed, but 0 dmg :P

It kills vanguards in 2 hits and knights in 3, same as pretty much every other MaA weapon.

• Well they should be able to kill easily. Knights and Vanguards can 1 hit people. AND they have more HP/armour. The dodge is fast, no doubting that, and the sword is quite good! But I, personally wouldn’t say it is OVERPOWERED. MaA need to be treated differently to other classes. Don’t 1v1 them unless you are good.

• The dodge ability is a bit silly, but I guess they need some sort of perk. My main problem with it is the number they can do in quick succession. I think it should be more for getting out of trouble than an attacking tactic. I’d make the dodge use a little less than half the total stamina so they can get two in to slip away if needed.

• You can always react to a forward dash, the only use for it is to punish whiffed swings from people who dont know the range of their weapon.

If you make him back dash your attack or make him parry, he can’t pull any shenanigans. If he side steps you, well that’s a different story but it’s an incredible risk on his part. If he back dashes a swing then tries to forward dash, you can parry that.

There you guys go.

• I love it when MaA do all their tricky moves and i two shot* him.