Dogs!

• The dogs of war. I think it would be intense realism if dogs were included to a very limited degree.

I don’t think that players should be able to deploy dogs as in Black Ops (but I wouldn’t agrue if you did it) but perhaps on some maps a small number of dogs would be amazing as part of a castle’s compliment, for example. Maybe a kennel where a player has to release them.
    Possibly at other times, but it shouldn’t be the focus, perhaps 1 or 2 dogs spawn at the beginning of a round and are not replaced.

Even having a unique dog with a name that appears on a particular map would add immense depth and character to the game’s experience.

• I think “immense depth” is overdoing it, but I wouldn’t mind seeing something like a bunch of dogs locked in a cage that the players can set free. It would be like an environmental hazard you could trigger.

• The presence of dogs indicates that your enemy has a plan, is dangerous and intelligent, and has bonds between each other and their environment. Dogs evoke all of it in a fundamental way.

It also implies resources beyond what you can see.

• How much is a dog going to be able to do to someone fully armored though? I’d just kick the dog in the throat.

• om nom nom armor !!!

• depends on the dog, getting a 40kg dog flying at you is not soemthing you want. It can pin you to the ground. Sashing up dogs with swords aren’t what the devs should be working at, most likely some people will say it is immoral and so forth.

• Animals are more menacing and unpredicable than people because we fear the unknown.

People: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

People against animals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

• Dogs really dont add anything to the game.

• Lol, just imagining playing as a dog running around jumping on top of people then a teammate comes in and performs a cool execution animation whilst they’re down on the floor.

• @Martin:

Lol, just imagining playing as a dog running around jumping on top of people then a teammate comes in and performs a cool execution animation whilst they’re down on the floor.

Yeah that would be huge fun. I believe it would also be completely without precedent in an FPS game.

I would be all for going for the gold with a playable war dog bonus round, maybe something like if you get killed 5-10 times in a row without getting a kill of your own you spawn as a crazy old dog (with ability to opt out). Damage and balance could be meh, but ankle biting would be golden.

Temporarily slow down a player’s mobility so your team mate can move in for the kill? LOL

The possibilities are intriguing, I hadn’t thought of that.

• I think it would be better if we could transform into dogs, jump onto rooftops and then transform into eagles, fly at the sky zoom in your target and then strike with fury!

• @Fragsmore:

Temporarily slow down a player’s mobility so your team mate can move in for the kill? LOL

Grab hold of an opponents ankle and try and drag them.

In all seriousness though, it’s too much work for something that is too trivial and not entirely fitting in the battlefield ethos.

• @Andrew:

depends on the dog, getting a 40kg dog flying at you is not soemthing you want. It can pin you to the ground. Sashing up dogs with swords aren’t what the devs should be working at, most likely some people will say it is immoral and so forth.

There are several games were military dogs die. it doesn’t have to be a display of cruelty. One good hack could make them poof. This game is following a realistic approach to medieval combat after all, and dogs were definitely on the battefield.

• @Martin:

@Fragsmore:

Grab hold of an opponents ankle and try and drag them.

In all seriousness though, it’s too much work for something that is too trivial and not entirely fitting in the battlefield ethos.

I know, other things are much more important. You have a great idea there, though. Perhaps in the future.

• @Fragsmore:

@Martin:

Lol, just imagining playing as a dog running around jumping on top of people then a teammate comes in and performs a cool execution animation whilst they’re down on the floor.

Yeah that would be huge fun. I believe it would also be completely without precedent in an FPS game.

Not sure about dogs, but there’ve certainly been playable animals in FPS multiplayer before. Hell, as far back as Turok with its playable raptor character (which was ridiculously fun).

• the worst part is if a knight get’s knocked down he will have problems liftn his body + armor + dog up. he may as well lay there and try to stab the damn dog to death with a dagger.

• Not exactly animals, but in AVP2, the alien gameplay was completely different from what you would see while playing the marine or the predator. I dont think dogs will be included in the game, but its fun to imagine the class.

They would be really fast, but they would be unable to cap anything objective related (unless said objective is assasinating a character). Apart from their extremely short range bite attack, they would have a short leap that allowed them to knock down enemies.

And their voice commands, well, thats what would make the class really worth it.

• Yeah and at least voice commands won’t take too much work. All that’s needed:

Woof, woof, woof, and a growl.

• @Martin:

Yeah and at least voice commands won’t take too much work. All that’s needed:

Woof, woof, woof, and a growl.

Don’t forget the death yelp.

• I volunteer for the “dog class voice actor” role