Why I can't stand archers.

• While I imagine post people on this forum are more respectful in-game, I’m still hoping this message will reach those archers that do the following:

taking shots at the enemy you’re fighting as either a) an effort to try and “help” you in your fight or b) trying to finish off the enemy you’re fighting to take the kill.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve been shot in the back and injured, interrupted, or killed as a direct result of my teammate not really giving a sh*t. Due to projectile travel time, it’s not even based on skill… it’s chance whether you hit your teammate or not since people can easily move around and swap positions in melee by the time the projectile reaches its target. So just don’t do it!

I think this is right up there with using horizontal slashes beside teammates, which still unfortunately happens often as well.

• That is really a big problem. People just don´t care what they hit. Why should they? There is like no punishment at all.

Im an archer myself and sometimes it just happen, sometimes you have to take a high risk because a situation is desperate… And sometimes an arrow hits your buddys back. But that must be an exception, not the regular picture. Unfortunately, you will see stuff like this all the time.

Archers need to get patience and respect for their team mates, really.

• to solve this… FRIENDLY FIRE (hitting a teammate) should to damage to the person that is doing the damage.

exp: archer shoots back of team player… archer takes the damage not the player that gets hit.

• Although I play archer and rarely hit my team, self damage on friendly fire is always a good thing.

I see no difference between a crappy archer hitting his team and a crappy knight/van hitting his team, all bad players will teamwound regardless of the weapon you give them.

• Get a server and set the FF dmg to 0%.

And as a random thought maybe even setting the FF to a negative number will create reflective damage, probably will just crash the server lol.

• @Vq.|Phoenix:

Get a server and set the FF dmg to 0%.

And as a random thought maybe even setting the FF to a negative number will create reflective damage, probably will just crash the server lol.

I think if that worked, it would actually heal the player you hit lol.

• @Martin:

@Vq.|Phoenix:

Get a server and set the FF dmg to 0%.

I think if that worked, it would actually heal the player you hit lol.

Possibly lol, just a random thought. :p

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Although I play archer and rarely hit my team, self damage on friendly fire is always a good thing.

I see no difference between a crappy archer hitting his team and a crappy knight/van hitting his team, all bad players will teamwound regardless of the weapon you give them.

Imagine this. You are in a 1v1 with someone. Your teammate runs in the way out of nowhere, causing you to hit them, and it’s their fault. You take damage and die and the enemy survives.

• @Lg:

@Mike_Effing_Jones:

Although I play archer and rarely hit my team, self damage on friendly fire is always a good thing.

Imagine this. You are in a 1v1 with someone. Your teammate runs in the way out of nowhere, causing you to hit them, and it’s their fault. You take damage and die and the enemy survives.

This.

It happens so frequently. I have had people literally jumping down from a higher place right in front of me with an overhead aimed at the enemy I was fighting.

• I actually like the realism it brings to the game. When it gets crowded, there’s going to be some friendly damage. Either don’t jump into the mosh pit or be ready to get decked by a teammate. And don’t even bitch about archers taking your kill. Do you know how many times I’ve decked somebody who wasn’t engaged and then some one else comes through and one-hits him for the kill? Too many. It doesn’t even bother me. The game is about teamwork, not K/D ratio.

• @GhoXen:

@Lg:

@Mike_Effing_Jones:

This.

It happens so frequently. I have had people literally jumping down from a higher place right in front of me with an overhead aimed at the enemy I was fighting.

These.

Yep. So many times people just dive into a existing fight and receive FF, which is entirely there fault.

If the devs implement any FF specific rules, I hope they are as server side options. So we can just have classic FF if we so desire. I am really not a fan of “reflecting damage” or “auto-kicks” for x number of TK’s and or damage. Because circumstances are rarely so black and white.

• Well, it also has to do with giving the archer ROOM to shoot. Don’t wade into combat like a retard with your back against your own archers, but do it at an angle and let the archers have a chance at it. They are in fact tactical support so it makes no sense NOT to accommodate them. Granted, there are a lot of retards in public games, but even then this minimizes the risk.

• Well, if you forbid archers from shooting the enemy who is already in combat with friendlies, his role in the whole game would be poking people, cause 1 shot kills happen very rarely ( if you’re not using the siege crossbow). As a result of such action there would be less archers on servers, cause who wants to be an “assistant”. Besides that, i agree that archers happen to be annoying sometimes, but i know that there are those “nice guys” who will save you in trouble and won’t try to steal your kill.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Yep, fully agreed. While initially I was against any sort of friendly fire punishment, it’s much too abused in public servers and ends up being a great source of frustration. I think the current game mechanics really only work in a private server where you know everyone, or a server with a couple active admins at all time.

@Cookaroo:

I actually like the realism it brings to the game. When it gets crowded, there’s going to be some friendly damage. Either don’t jump into the mosh pit or be ready to get decked by a teammate. And don’t even bitch about archers taking your kill. Do you know how many times I’ve decked somebody who wasn’t engaged and then some one else comes through and one-hits him for the kill? Too many. It doesn’t even bother me. The game is about teamwork, not K/D ratio.

That wasn’t my point at all. It was just me trying to get into the mind of the archer that decides to shoot arrows at you/the enemy when you’ve been fighting a 1 on 1, are clearly winning, and the enemy is heavily bloodied and would most likely die from one more hit. And that’s not a special case, either. Happens quite a bit.

@Dr:

Well, it also has to do with giving the archer ROOM to shoot. Don’t wade into combat like a retard with your back against your own archers, but do it at an angle and let the archers have a chance at it. They are in fact tactical support so it makes no sense NOT to accommodate them. Granted, there are a lot of retards in public games, but even then this minimizes the risk.

Yeah, that seems like good advice. In heavy battles, I try not to put myself in positions where I can easily be hit by teammates, but I might not be always conscious of archer firing lines, because I have no idea where they are half the time, and they may be pretty far away. But it’s definitely something to keep in mind.

However, when not in massive melee battles, I tend to maneuver around as much as possible… this will make it difficult for archers to “support”, but at the same time I’m not always looking for archer support either. I suppose it depends on the situation.

@tamashi:

Well, if you forbid archers from shooting the enemy who is already in combat with friendlies, his role in the whole game would be poking people, cause 1 shot kills happen very rarely ( if you’re not using the siege crossbow). As a result of such action there would be less archers on servers, cause who wants to be an “assistant”. Besides that, i agree that archers happen to be annoying sometimes, but i know that there are those “nice guys” who will save you in trouble and won’t try to steal your kill.

Anyone who realizes this is a team-orientated game, I imagine. Whenever I use archer class, that’s exactly what I do… hit the enemy once or twice before they engage melee, then also switch to melee. Even sticking an oncoming knight in the foot a few times with arrows, bolts or javelins is very helpful when it comes time for melee.

I don’t want to try and forbid archers from shooting the enemy in combat with friendlies per se, but rather avoid the high percentage chance that they will shoot their teammate instead. If you have a clear shot at an enemy’s back and your teammate is on the other side of him with his shield up, well that’s a perfect time to shoot an enemy. But if a teammate is engaged with an enemy and they’re constantly swapping positions during melee, this is obviously a very BAD time to try and hit the enemy.

And I see nothing wrong with the side effect of having less archers on servers ;) There are still far too many of them shooting of their spawn as the attacking team in TO mode.

• archers suck because 98% of the time its some noob who thinks hes robin hood and only shoots his own people in the back

they should just remove the class alltogether theres 0 reason to play it anyway

• :archb: :fenc:

Spray and Pray! Only way I know how to play!

• Knight + norse sword + tower shield on back.

Friendly archers can then be as wild as they want with their shots.

Here’s a thought to those taking the friendly fire - instead of criticising your team’s archers(which will accomplish nothing) , try to adapt your strategy to utilize them!
    Back off to let them take the shot, or wheel your opponent around so it is their back that is exposed, rather than your own.

Voice coms help enormously in this endeavour, but even without it knowing the composition and location of your own team is vital for good teamplay.

• The idea of self damage for FF is great and all, but I think that it would very quickly be hated by all. Most melee characters don’t realize they do large amounts of team damage unless they actually TK. When you are actually in the thick battles, you never really know who you are hitting or who hits you until you see the kill feed. I don’t usually get mad at the occasional TK on me because it usually happens in a massive group. I do find it hard to forgive when I’m about to attack a solo and my teammate hits me from behind, though.

• Well if archers can’t shoot at the enemy team while they are fighting a friendly what should they do? I can’t tell you how many times I have had a very decent accuracy rating but had less than ten kills because if you don’t kill someone with one hit they tend to run away to cover and then an ally will get the kill. About the FF, vanguards and knights that just spam LMB kill more teammates than archers. Then they use the excuse that people ran in front of their swing. Well maybe people also run in front of arrows. Archers get hate because they annoy people by being an archer and kiting the enemy, but thats basically the special ability of the archer, to piss off a couple knights and distarct them from completing their objective in TO.

• Giving archers friendly fire damage won’t help, because they can just sit back and let it heal.