Why I can't stand archers.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Although I play archer and rarely hit my team, self damage on friendly fire is always a good thing.

I see no difference between a crappy archer hitting his team and a crappy knight/van hitting his team, all bad players will teamwound regardless of the weapon you give them.

Yep, fully agreed. While initially I was against any sort of friendly fire punishment, it’s much too abused in public servers and ends up being a great source of frustration. I think the current game mechanics really only work in a private server where you know everyone, or a server with a couple active admins at all time.

@Cookaroo:

I actually like the realism it brings to the game. When it gets crowded, there’s going to be some friendly damage. Either don’t jump into the mosh pit or be ready to get decked by a teammate. And don’t even bitch about archers taking your kill. Do you know how many times I’ve decked somebody who wasn’t engaged and then some one else comes through and one-hits him for the kill? Too many. It doesn’t even bother me. The game is about teamwork, not K/D ratio.

That wasn’t my point at all. It was just me trying to get into the mind of the archer that decides to shoot arrows at you/the enemy when you’ve been fighting a 1 on 1, are clearly winning, and the enemy is heavily bloodied and would most likely die from one more hit. And that’s not a special case, either. Happens quite a bit.

@Dr:

Well, it also has to do with giving the archer ROOM to shoot. Don’t wade into combat like a retard with your back against your own archers, but do it at an angle and let the archers have a chance at it. They are in fact tactical support so it makes no sense NOT to accommodate them. Granted, there are a lot of retards in public games, but even then this minimizes the risk.

Yeah, that seems like good advice. In heavy battles, I try not to put myself in positions where I can easily be hit by teammates, but I might not be always conscious of archer firing lines, because I have no idea where they are half the time, and they may be pretty far away. But it’s definitely something to keep in mind.

However, when not in massive melee battles, I tend to maneuver around as much as possible… this will make it difficult for archers to “support”, but at the same time I’m not always looking for archer support either. I suppose it depends on the situation.

@tamashi:

Well, if you forbid archers from shooting the enemy who is already in combat with friendlies, his role in the whole game would be poking people, cause 1 shot kills happen very rarely ( if you’re not using the siege crossbow). As a result of such action there would be less archers on servers, cause who wants to be an “assistant”. Besides that, i agree that archers happen to be annoying sometimes, but i know that there are those “nice guys” who will save you in trouble and won’t try to steal your kill.

Anyone who realizes this is a team-orientated game, I imagine. Whenever I use archer class, that’s exactly what I do… hit the enemy once or twice before they engage melee, then also switch to melee. Even sticking an oncoming knight in the foot a few times with arrows, bolts or javelins is very helpful when it comes time for melee.

I don’t want to try and forbid archers from shooting the enemy in combat with friendlies per se, but rather avoid the high percentage chance that they will shoot their teammate instead. If you have a clear shot at an enemy’s back and your teammate is on the other side of him with his shield up, well that’s a perfect time to shoot an enemy. But if a teammate is engaged with an enemy and they’re constantly swapping positions during melee, this is obviously a very BAD time to try and hit the enemy.

And I see nothing wrong with the side effect of having less archers on servers ;) There are still far too many of them shooting of their spawn as the attacking team in TO mode.

• archers suck because 98% of the time its some noob who thinks hes robin hood and only shoots his own people in the back

they should just remove the class alltogether theres 0 reason to play it anyway

• :archb: :fenc:

Spray and Pray! Only way I know how to play!

• Knight + norse sword + tower shield on back.

Friendly archers can then be as wild as they want with their shots.

Here’s a thought to those taking the friendly fire - instead of criticising your team’s archers(which will accomplish nothing) , try to adapt your strategy to utilize them!
    Back off to let them take the shot, or wheel your opponent around so it is their back that is exposed, rather than your own.

Voice coms help enormously in this endeavour, but even without it knowing the composition and location of your own team is vital for good teamplay.

• The idea of self damage for FF is great and all, but I think that it would very quickly be hated by all. Most melee characters don’t realize they do large amounts of team damage unless they actually TK. When you are actually in the thick battles, you never really know who you are hitting or who hits you until you see the kill feed. I don’t usually get mad at the occasional TK on me because it usually happens in a massive group. I do find it hard to forgive when I’m about to attack a solo and my teammate hits me from behind, though.

• Well if archers can’t shoot at the enemy team while they are fighting a friendly what should they do? I can’t tell you how many times I have had a very decent accuracy rating but had less than ten kills because if you don’t kill someone with one hit they tend to run away to cover and then an ally will get the kill. About the FF, vanguards and knights that just spam LMB kill more teammates than archers. Then they use the excuse that people ran in front of their swing. Well maybe people also run in front of arrows. Archers get hate because they annoy people by being an archer and kiting the enemy, but thats basically the special ability of the archer, to piss off a couple knights and distarct them from completing their objective in TO.

• Giving archers friendly fire damage won’t help, because they can just sit back and let it heal.

• @FloorBelow:

Giving archers friendly fire damage won’t help, because they can just sit back and let it heal.

Good. That’s 20 seconds where they aren’t shooting their team in the back every time they shoot their team in the back.

• @Guslon:

Well if archers can’t shoot at the enemy team while they are fighting a friendly what should they do?

Shoot at them when they are pouring out of their spawn, or when they are destroying the trebuchets etc. I assume archers can kill peasants which to me seems a perfect role for them while knights and vanguards keep the enemy away from them. If you’ve put an arrow or two in an enemy then see a one (or more) of your team engage him, look for another target. Unless of course you’re close enough to be sure or have a perfect angle - then by all means take the shot.

@Guslon:

an ally will get the kill.

The enemy is dead and you’ve helped achieve that. Does it really matter who gets the score? Plenty of times I’m been fighting someone and am only a hit away from killing him when boom, headshot. I just move on to the next fight.

• Accepted Casualties :]
    War is hell.

If you are an archer, and you fire into melee with >50% chance of hitting the enemy, then go ahead. Its statistically better for your team than doing nothing.

The Archery mechanics are quite difficult to get the hang of, so new players are going to inevitably hit some allies. What I think is much worse are the players who then intentionally hunt all the archers on their own team…

One thing that would be nice is showing tks/tk damage on the scoreboard. then if an archer tks you, then you can check to see if it was a fluke and he’s actually inflicting way more damage to his enemies.

• @SlyGoat:

@FloorBelow:

Giving archers friendly fire damage won’t help, because they can just sit back and let it heal.

Good. That’s 20 seconds where they aren’t shooting their team in the back every time they shoot their team in the back.

You seem to have a lot of misguided hate. I have seen plenty of archers that do good and never TK. Show me evidence of even one archer that hits their team EVERY time they let an arrow go. It’s a game. No need to freak out over a few TK’s.

• @Trent2011:

@SlyGoat:

@FloorBelow:

You seem to have a lot of misguided hate. I have seen plenty of archers that do good and never TK. Show me evidence of even one archer that hits their team EVERY time they let an arrow go. It’s a game. No need to freak out over a few TK’s.

If you take mirror FF damage, you obviously hit a teammate. Not sure where your comment is coming from.

• @SlyGoat:

If you take mirror FF damage, you obviously hit a teammate. Not sure where your comment is coming from.

You made the claim that they are constantly hitting teammates in the back. I rarely see an archer that is that bad. If they are, they usually get kicked. Every active player will cause some damage to their own team at some point. It’s the nature of how this game works. It’s messy. If you want clean, go play regular mode CoD where FF is turned off.

I was talking about the fact that you seem very upset by archers. I’m sure that if there was a way to check team damage done, they would have one of the lowest percentages on average because of the high amount of team damage done by melee players that LMB spam. Just the same way they usually have a low kill count compared to melee players.

• @William:

That is really a big problem. People just don´t care what they hit. Why should they? There is like no punishment at all.

Come to my server, i beg to differ ;)

• @Trent2011:

@SlyGoat:

You made the claim that they are constantly hitting teammates in the back. I rarely see an archer that is that bad. If they are, they usually get kicked. Every active player will cause some damage to their own team at some point. It’s the nature of how this game works. It’s messy. If you want clean, go play regular mode CoD where FF is turned off.

I was talking about the fact that you seem very upset by archers. I’m sure that if there was a way to check team damage done, they would have one of the lowest percentages on average because of the high amount of team damage done by melee players that LMB spam. Just the same way they usually have a low kill count compared to melee players.

I have noticed this EXTENSIVELY in my playtime. But the worst part about it is, that you are often not CERTAIN that you got hit by a teammate, just that you got hit by a projectile and you’re not sure where it came from, but you know there are archers behind you and you can’t see any in front.

I got hit for 90% of my health yesterday, and my friend told me I had an arrow sticking out the back of my head :P So it was friendly fire. I didn’t get TK’ed, but it may as well have been… and had my friend not mentioned it to me, I wouldn’t even have been sure it was from a teammate.

A post-mortem damage percentage chart that shows how much damage was dealt to you and by whom, would be quite handy.

• @L33t_Of_Lag:

@William Godfrey:

That is really a big problem. People just don´t care what they hit. Why should they? There is like no punishment at all.

Come to my server, i beg to differ ;)

Is you server official? I still need to unlock some stuff…

• If you do it to much the next time that guy spawns you might get a axe to the back of your head. I shoot when my team mate is fighting a enemy but very carefully. 9\10 i hit the enemy or nothing. then the other 1/10 i hit my team mate in that situation. No I do not try to ks…. In my opinion only noobs worry about ks.

• Agree with treetops. When I play archer and hit a friendly, I apologize instantly. If an archer TH/TKs to much, I just go and take his head off.^Some people have to learn that “fire is hot” the hard way…

• I am getting infuriatingly tired of archers doing NOTHING except shooting people in the back as they try to fight. Rarely do I ever see archers on the objective or helping their team - they just stand near the spawn and shoot people in the back - friendly or not.

Getting to be a game-breaker for me. Hard to enjoy this games excellent combat when I’m being turned into a pin-cushion constantly.

Don’t even get me started on archers stealing my kills as I’m fighting. If they do it frequently It’s quite tempting to run back to them and introduce my flanged mace to their face.

• @Trent2011:

@SlyGoat:

“Giving archers friendly fire damage won’t help, because they can just sit back and let it heal.”

In this theoretical situation of theoretical archers with theoretical mirrored friendly fire damage theoretically shooting their teammates in the back, the theoretical player is obviously theoretically doing a lot of friendly fire damage, if he has to sit back and regenerate - meaning the mirror FF is working, because it’s making him sit down and think about who he’s shooting.

Maybe you should read what people are responding to before jumping to conclusions. Archer is my second most played class.