How exactly does blocking work?

• I recently tested blocking with a friend, and I was very surprised at the results.

We used the Warhammer, Morning Star, and Halberd for each of these tests, since we agreed that those weapons go through our blocks the most often(this was the original reason for our testing).

We started off by testing overheads, eventually concluding that he had to be looking at my feet for my jumping overhead to get over his block.

After that, we tested stabs and slashes. When I was to his right, he could block my attacks as long as he could see my wrist. When I was on his left, he was blocking my attacks while I was off screen. Both times I was aiming as far away from his “block area” as possible.

Once we tested shields, our results were completely random and unable to be reproduced at will.

In the end, we concluded that blocking is very wonky. We were consistently blocking attacks off screen from the same weapons that we assumed were just difficult to block against.

I know there are a lot of holes here, which is why I made this thread. I would like any input so I can better understand how blocking works.

• Welcome to Chivalry. I have had guys block me when i am 180 degrees behind them.

• It is just wonky, until they fix it.

• I have also noticed that especially behave strange sometimes…like not blocking blows that I would have blocked 100% with a parry

• Buckler and possibly heater shields have smaller block radiuses than a parry because you can hold them up indefinitely. Knight shields have larger block radiuses than a parry, especially the tower shield which is something like a 150 degree block that covers the majority of your vertical height too.

It’s really hard to know what you’re trying to describe here just from text. If you could record it instead that would be very helpful.

• @SlyGoat:

Buckler and possibly heater shields have smaller block radiuses than a parry because you can hold them up indefinitely. Knight shields have larger block radiuses than a parry, especially the tower shield which is something like a 150 degree block that covers the majority of your vertical height too.

It’s really hard to know what you’re trying to describe here just from text. If you could record it instead that would be very helpful.

All the tests were done with parrying. We did a little bit of shield testing with the tower shield, but it ended up being very random and we decided to stop.

• I consistently get hit by maces of all kinds when blocking with a shield or parrying with a weapon. It’s hella frustrating since they are ownage weapons.