The future of Chivalry: MW (please read)

• Ok no offense, but im reading this forum and i often dumb idea after dumb idea. I really think this needs to be cleared up…

Chivalry is a great game, the game style that has been made can last for years and there is truly no other game of this kind.

If you ask me, it is almost obvious what the dev’s need to do. After reading this, 90% of this forum can go cry to their mommies about their zombie mobs and execution style deaths and retarded ideas like slashing arrows out of the air ninja style.

1. Fix the bugs, Balancing, and Optimization Issues.

I’m sure this is what is happening RIGHT NOW, the Dev’s are going over the game fixing stuff like the bugged javelin and warcrys. Fixing the stuff thats wrong.

As far as balancing, i really think people need to stop WHINING about weapons being OP. This game is AWESOME it feels very real and out of almost ALL the weapons, i say only 1-2 are OP. NO WEAPONS SHOULD BE NERFED. Except MAYBE the war-hammer. MAYBE the norse-sword. Other then that I’d say STOP THE WHINING, if the dev’s catered to everyone who said “weapon is OP” then THE GAME WOULD BE RUINED because y’all just don’t know how to play. Honestly, all i can say is there are probably 3-4 weapons that seem UNDERPOWERED that need to be BUFFED, but hardly any are actually OP. I say buff the damage on the double axe, buff the damage on the brandistock and fork, SLIGHTLY nerf the warhammer, and THATS IT.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TORN BANNER, DONT START NERFING WEAPONS BECAUSE THESE DUDES ON FORUMS DIE TO MANY TIMES AND COMPLAIN “OH ITS OP” The game is great, it needs only a time bit of fine tuning, if you cater to everybody who says “Its OP It killed me” the game will turn to garbage very quickly.

2. Add some more visual effects and improve some game mechanics.

Add blood decals, arrows sticking better, more death animations maybe some weapon specific deaths, other small visual things that just give the game a bit more “umf” and there you go.

All of this im sure could be implemented in a month and a half or so.

Then, what the dev’s need to work on, is not zombie mods and other bullshit, but KEEPING US HOOKED on chivalry.

For example, the OBVIOUS:

1. NEW MAPS:

Remake old AOC maps, and brand new maps, make some badass siege levels, make some 64 player maps, make some bigger maps, some more smaller maps. Honestly, this is the problem. We are playing a game with very limited maps. Double/Triple the amount of maps in the coming months and YOU HAVE A HELLUVA GAME. Not that Chivalry isnt already a helluva game, but by doubling/tripling the amount of maps, there will be more replay-ability, strategies, unique maps, less repetition, and so on.

Add some new objectives, maybe transporting a king and queen somewhere, with the others trying to assasinate them, ect, dont just stick by the same formula, i love the current objectives already, and they should be expanded on in new maps, but throw in some new stuff every once and a while. Keep us hooked.

Why would people be asking for samari mods and other ridiculous add-ons when the game has so few maps? Triple the amount of maps and you wont need ANY mods. You’ll have a game jam packed with bad-assery.

2. Add a few new weapons (but don’t go nuts)

From looking at what kind of weapons people want added to this game, its going to turn into a ridiculous mix-match of every weapon ever made most of which i havent hardly even heard of or has probably never even been used in european times or in real life warfare.

Honestly, all this game has missed, if you ask me, are the following:

Pike
    Glaive
    Vouge
    Military Scythe
    Quarterstaff
    Flail
    Spiked Buckler
    Cleavers
    More thrusting swords
    Gunpowder weapons

Other then that this games got it pretty much covered.Honestly, This game probably needs 1 more line of weapons for each class and thats it. Dont overdo it. Keep game balanced as possible.

Adding weapons will keep people interested, but if you overdo it, it will just get out of hand.

Add helmet customization, and “new skins” for weapons to be unlocked at certain achievements like 1000 kills, ect. This would be great at keeping a sense of achievement.

This should be the next “Year” of chivalry…adding tons more maps and a few new weapons, fixing bugs, balance a few things (but dont kill the game, its pretty balanced already)

Then you can start looking at the long term, which i still dont think involves zombie mods, ninjas, pirates, ghosts, monsters, or any other type of ridiculous ideas ive seen posted on these forums yet:

Mounted Combat.

We’re talking pretty much, a whole new game, or a very large maybe even expansion that would cost money . We’re talking each class gets a horse or maybe even a whole new class (Cavalry) and creating the mechanics to do it aswell as balancing the weapons for it, adding lances, ect. New maps just for cavalry. This is so far away its not even worth talking about now. But in the long run i think tons of people would like to see this happen.

Chivalry is the future of medieval warfare games, it can set the precedent on melee combat and first person slashers. It needs to stay true to its roots and evolve.

Anyone who wants ninjas, samaris, spartans, zombies, vampires, unicorns, pirates, slashing arrows out of the air, please, stay away from my game.

Chivalry is badass. It needs to be expanded upon. You want mods, get the code and go to a modding community. Chivarly needs to evolve, not devolve. And no, i don’t want my weapons nerfed.

• Agree completly… I would be very happy with having castle siege maps and being allowed to have up to 64 players in a game…

• I agree, good thread.

• In short: the devs agree with you on the core of new content, except for mounted combat.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4867 - Next patch.
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2203

• Things currently being worked on for next patch/future.

@Tibberius:

It’s not so simple as “adding it on”. We believe the game will be better without mounted combat. This time around anyway, and the reason for that is because we have designed everything about the game, the combat, the maps, the art, the pacing, the distances all for foot combat. Adding in other maps with mounted combat takes the game away from its original purpose and weakens the foundation. I would much rather create this game with the best foot combat that we can make, and then in a sequel create the best foot and mounted combat we can make. I realize the potential fun factor of riding horses into combat and no one debates that could be a great experience. But that is not this game.

@Tibberius:

Sequel will be the only possibility on this, we just didn’t design the game for horses, levels and weapon balance would be a huge factor.

• i agree with cavalry thats why i said probably a whole new game.

It seems this game just wouldnt work for horses. It would need a complete redesign to add them.

And to be honest, at the moment, i dont feel it even needs it. What we have now could easily be played for YEARS no problem. We just need new maps to not get bored and new achievements added.

I gotta say customization and achievements are a factor here though.

Helmet customization, Weapon Skins, even CHARACTER skins, should all be implemented for players.

Reach 1000 Kills with a warhammer, you get the “War Pick” Skin for it, Reach 1000 kills with a zweihander, u get an unbent classic medieval zweihander skin for it, Reach 10,000 kills, you get a new helmet, 35,000 kills, your MAA now has a bronze breast-plate.

The changes would only be visual, but it would keep you playing.

Also, i totally LOVE the objectives in this game. Totally unique. We need more maps for team-objective ASAP.

• I certainly agree that is a game that can expand and be built upon so long as it stays within its theme and doesn’t go off on a horror/fantasy tangent. It should certainly be kept real-worldly medieval.

I would love to see some big epic battles taking place on larger more open environments.

Hopefully that’s more of a case of increased player count and maps to suit.

• @fwbo777:

Ok no offense, but im reading this forum and i often dumb idea after dumb idea. I really think this needs to be cleared up…

Chivalry is a great game, the game style that has been made can last for years and there is truly no other game of this kind.

If you ask me, it is almost obvious what the dev’s need to do. After reading this, 90% of this forum can go cry to their mommies about their zombie mobs and execution style deaths and retarded ideas like slashing arrows out of the air ninja style.

1. Fix the bugs, Balancing, and Optimization Issues.

I’m sure this is what is happening RIGHT NOW, the Dev’s are going over the game fixing stuff like the bugged javelin and warcrys. Fixing the stuff thats wrong.

As far as balancing, i really think people need to stop WHINING about weapons being OP. This game is AWESOME it feels very real and out of almost ALL the weapons, i say only 1-2 are OP. NO WEAPONS SHOULD BE NERFED. Except MAYBE the war-hammer. MAYBE the norse-sword. Other then that I’d say STOP THE WHINING, if the dev’s catered to everyone who said “weapon is OP” then THE GAME WOULD BE RUINED because y’all just don’t know how to play. Honestly, all i can say is there are probably 3-4 weapons that seem UNDERPOWERED that need to be BUFFED, but hardly any are actually OP. I say buff the damage on the double axe, buff the damage on the brandistock and fork, SLIGHTLY nerf the warhammer, and THATS IT.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TORN BANNER, DONT START NERFING WEAPONS BECAUSE THESE DUDES ON FORUMS DIE TO MANY TIMES AND COMPLAIN “OH ITS OP” The game is great, it needs only a time bit of fine tuning, if you cater to everybody who says “Its OP It killed me” the game will turn to garbage very quickly.

~~2. Add some more visual effects and improve some game mechanics.
    ––

Add blood decals, arrows sticking better, more death animations maybe some weapon specific deaths, other small visual things that just give the game a bit more “umf” and there you go.

All of this im sure could be implemented in a month and a half or so.~~

Then, what the dev’s need to work on, is not zombie mods and other bullshit, but KEEPING US HOOKED on chivalry.

For example, the OBVIOUS:

1. NEW MAPS:

Remake old AOC maps, and brand new maps, make some badass siege levels, make some 64 player maps, make some bigger maps, some more smaller maps. Honestly, this is the problem. We are playing a game with very limited maps. Double/Triple the amount of maps in the coming months and YOU HAVE A HELLUVA GAME. Not that Chivalry isnt already a helluva game, but by doubling/tripling the amount of maps, there will be more replay-ability, strategies, unique maps, less repetition, and so on.

Add some new objectives, maybe transporting a king and queen somewhere, with the others trying to assasinate them, ect, dont just stick by the same formula, i love the current objectives already, and they should be expanded on in new maps, but throw in some new stuff every once and a while. Keep us hooked.

Why would people be asking for samari mods and other ridiculous add-ons when the game has so few maps? Triple the amount of maps and you wont need ANY mods. You’ll have a game jam packed with bad-assery.

2. Add a few new weapons (but don’t go nuts)

From looking at what kind of weapons people want added to this game, its going to turn into a ridiculous mix-match of every weapon ever made most of which i havent hardly even heard of or has probably never even been used in european times or in real life warfare.

Honestly, all this game has missed, if you ask me, are the following:

Pike
    Glaive
    Vouge
    Military Scythe
    Quarterstaff
    Flail
    Spiked Buckler
    Cleavers
    More thrusting swords
    Gunpowder weapons

Other then that this games got it pretty much covered.Honestly, This game probably needs 1 more line of weapons for each class and thats it. Dont overdo it. Keep game balanced as possible.

Adding weapons will keep people interested, but if you overdo it, it will just get out of hand.

Add helmet customization, and “new skins” for weapons to be unlocked at certain achievements like 1000 kills, ect. This would be great at keeping a sense of achievement.

This should be the next “Year” of chivalry….adding tons more maps and a few new weapons, fixing bugs, balance a few things (but dont kill the game, its pretty balanced already)

Then you can start looking at the long term, which i still dont think involves zombie mods, ninjas, pirates, ghosts, monsters, or any other type of ridiculous ideas ive seen posted on these forums yet:

~~Mounted Combat.

We’re talking pretty much, a whole new game, or a very large maybe even expansion that would cost money . We’re talking each class gets a horse or maybe even a whole new class (Cavalry) and creating the mechanics to do it aswell as balancing the weapons for it, adding lances, ect. New maps just for cavalry. This is so far away its not even worth talking about now. But in the long run i think tons of people would like to see this happen.~~

Chivalry is the future of medieval warfare games, it can set the precedent on melee combat and first person slashers. It needs to stay true to its roots and evolve.

Anyone who wants ninjas, samaris, spartans, zombies, vampires, unicorns, pirates, slashing arrows out of the air, please, stay away from my game.

Chivalry is badass. It needs to be expanded upon. You want mods, get the code and go to a modding community. Chivarly needs to evolve, not devolve. And no, i don’t want my weapons nerfed.

THIS (with the edits I made). This game is the most fun I have had in a long, long time in a MP game… maybe ever… it’s like a marriage of a first person shooter and a fighting game like Tekken… only… MEDIEVAL!!!

• Developer

Great to see that the community is of a similar mindset with the development team, the suggestions here run along the same track as our current plans for updating the game.

• @Tibberius:

Great to see that the community is of a similar mindset with the development team, the suggestions here run along the same track as our current plans for updating the game.

Was just thinking that.

• Fantastic post bud, totally agree… the devs must consolidate what is already so good before they even consider expanding in a new direction!

• Bump.

Truth be told in this post.

• HAIL ! well said sire !

• @fwbo777:

Gunpowder weapons

Oh no

• I personally am not so sure that I’m going to like gunpowder weapons being implemented in this game

• Developer

Should probably specifically clarify that gun powder weapons are not planned and won’t be coming to Chivalry.

• Just don’t let the “novelty” idea cloud your judgement. No game is perfect and every game needs constant rebalancing: League of Legends proves that. You’re not going to make a perfect weapon, some weapons will need nerfing and some weapons will need buffing sometimes. Don’t just say “NO THEY DON’T PLAYER IS JUST BAD” because that’s not true at all. The War Hammer and Norse sword are both very anti-fun even when you know how to deal with them and do need looking into. And then you have weapons like the Fork which is also anti-fun to do well with.

Don’t let your judgement get clouded. Follow League of Legends’ example if you want to get into the e-sports scene seriously.

• @Tibberius:

Should probably specifically clarify that gun powder weapons are not planned and won’t be coming to Chivalry.

Thank god.

• I support the OP’s ideas and Im glad the devs are actually planning to go that route.You guys are teaching a lesson to the bigger and wealthier development teams out there.

• @SOC:

Just don’t let the “novelty” idea cloud your judgement. No game is perfect and every game needs constant rebalancing: League of Legends proves that. You’re not going to make a perfect weapon, some weapons will need nerfing and some weapons will need buffing sometimes. Don’t just say “NO THEY DON’T PLAYER IS JUST BAD” because that’s not true at all. The War Hammer and Norse sword are both very anti-fun even when you know how to deal with them and do need looking into. And then you have weapons like the Fork which is also anti-fun to do well with.

Don’t let your judgement get clouded. Follow League of Legends’ example if you want to get into the e-sports scene seriously.

TBS can’t really afford to follow LoL’s example to get into the e-sports scene, they don’t have the money to pay their way into WCG.

• @SlyGoat:

TBS can’t really afford to follow LoL’s example to get into the e-sports scene, they don’t have the money to pay their way into WCG.

I wonder why Riot Games had that money then…

Because they take balance seriously and understand it as a constant ongoing struggle. Don’t ever feel satisfied with it.